advertisement

Arcam rHEAD Headphone amp Thoughts

greygoose

pfm Member
Some good reviews online, currently massive discounts to be had.
Has anyone experience of this amp and headphones?
I am looking for a dedicated amp for a pair of HD 650 , No requirement for DAC module, schitt joutenheim obvious match to lift the Veil but looking at options.

Having just bought a Rega Ear I was considering the Arcam for another system but decided I was unlikely to use it much. Certainly got good reviews & much better build quality than the Rega which has a bit of a tacky front & stiff volume control. Currently on offer at same price as Rega I was very tempted.

Not heard the rHead but the rPhono is quite a bit better than the Rega Fono (new one).

Having just bought a Rega Ear I was considering the Arcam for another system but decided I was unlikely to use it much. Certainly got good reviews & much better build quality than the Rega which has a bit of a tacky front & stiff volume control. Currently on offer at same price as Rega I was very tempted.

Thanks for the reply, you are right about the volume control, the rhead volume control is taken from their flagship model, the current offer price is unbelieveable, not too much reviews from actual users, probably too cheap / basic for proper head fi experts to consider.....

I think they missed a trick by offering balanced inputs but failing to incorporate a balanced headphone output, otherwise I'd be very tempted.

At the original rrp of £399 they were excellent value. At the various reduced advertised prices they are brilliant value and that is why I trialled them for my Grado GS1000s'.I have no idea why Arcam have done/allowed this as they are detailed, dynamic and made me realise the value of having a stand alone headamp.

The only reason I am selling mine after three weeks is because I am moving onto a much more expensive headamp as the rHead made me realise how good the Grados are. I had previously used them with integrated amps - McIntosh8000 & Naim Supernait. and with the rhead they sounded so much better.

I think they missed a trick by offering balanced inputs but failing to incorporate a balanced headphone output, otherwise I'd be very tempted.

You are correct that to get the best out of the unit it could have been balanced, however that for me would involve new cables and more expense.
The one thing I was impressed with was reports that the stock power supply provided could not be improved upon using expensive linear power supplies.
I would love to hear some impressions re a balanced amp and this price level.

[

At the original rrp of £399 they were excellent value. At the various reduced advertised prices they are brilliant value and that is why I trialled them for my Grado GS1000s'.I have no idea why Arcam have done/allowed this as they are detailed, dynamic and made me realise the value of having a stand alone headamp.

The only reason I am selling mine after three weeks is because I am moving onto a much more expensive headamp as the rHead made me realise how good the Grados are. I had previously used them with integrated amps - McIntosh8000 & Naim Supernait. and with the rhead they sounded so much better.

I too am in a similar position to you as I too use them with a class D pioneer AV AMP and an ATC Class A integrated amp, I still feel the HD650 Needs more to sing, otherwise they are not for me.
Three weeks seems short, the amp is barely broken in lol
That is one of my fears that the amp will be an improvement but will leave me wanting more and more, from extensive reviews the HD responds well to OTL Valve amps or a solid state amp capable of lifting the 650 veil (schitt joutenheim) at just under £500.
The grados are a flagship headphone but I am not familiar with them, where did the rhead excell / need improvement and what are you thinking of upgrading to out of interest out of interest.

You are correct that to get the best out of the unit it could have been balanced, however that for me would involve new cables and more expense.
The one thing I was impressed with was reports that the stock power supply provided could not be improved upon using expensive linear power supplies.
I would love to hear some impressions re a balanced amp and this price level.
I had a Schiit Jotunheim on home demo last summer. It's a very clean and fast sounding amp with tremendous grip and control and a remarkably black background. However, I found too lean and sterile for my tastes and too one-dimensional in terms of its soundstaging and ability to layer instruments in 3D space. The lack of soundstage is especially noticeable through its single-ended headphone output. Its balanced headphone output definitely provides superior soundstaging, layering, and spaciousness than its single-ended output, but tonally I'm still not convinced that this amp is an optimum match for my headphones, particularly my HD800S. I was likely spoiled by my home audition of its bigger brother, Mjolnir 2, a few months before, which from memory sounded richer and more enveloping. All of the amps I currently use for my headphones (Schiit Valhalla, Arcam irDAC-II, Yamaha A-S3000) are single-ended and sound very good to my ears, therefore I don't see the point in upgrading unless it is a significant one, and for me that means balanced capability.

I had a Schiit Valhalla2 and then swapped it out for a Bottlehead crack with speedball psu which sounds much better.

(I also have HD650's)

The schiit jotunheim is a good fit for the HD650'S but is too much for the HD800'S from record, your confirmation of a lead and narrow soundstage concurs with other reports which was a worry for me, my ATC amp is like that compared to my pioneer which has me leaning towards a fuller sounding amp.
The schiit vahalla should be a good match for the hd800's but also had good reviews with the HD650, the safest bet for both cans is balanced out from the Ragnarok, eventually this would be my goal to run both 650 and 800's from one but that is when funds allow.
For now all I want is to feed my resolution audio / chord qbd76hd into a good transparent headamp, my kids have seriously limited my ability to listen loud at night!!
The bottle head crack / speedball, does that produce a good 3d soundstage?

The bottle head crack / speedball, does that produce a good 3d soundstage?

Yes.

Haven't had headphones for that long and the Valhalla was my first amp but the bottlehead is massively better in detail, bass and soundstage.

I found the Jotunheim a bit too much with HD650's. I now use that amp together with Nighthawk Carbon's which I find a better match.

Bottlehead Crack seems to be the standard recommendation for HD650. Or look at the new Schiit Lyr 3 or the Cavalli Tube Hybrid on Massdrop right now (ending in 9 hours).

Cavalli Tube Hybrid on Massdrop right now (ending in 9 hours).

I looked at that , not familiar with massdrop or how import charges/ warranty / service would work out, one comment I read stated last night that these amps are to be bought in kit form, massdrop them have them manufactured in China and then shipped as part of the drop!!
Looks a nice unit but very complicated for me to be honest.

Any rhead users out there / bottlecrack head makers lol

The NJC Monitor was probably the closest contender, plenty of power with variable gain switch, Im not sure they can be shipped to Ireland though, again no detailed comparisons to other amps.

Thanks every one for the advice / opinions I have pulled the trigger on a brand new rHead Amp at a silly price, my journey into headphone amps begins, impressions will follow...

advertisement

Back