advertisement

USB to optical s/pdif converter for my PC that has no digital output?

Rana

pfm Member
I have a HP 27-p075na all-in-one monitor/PC. Having got a bit fed up with its inbuilt B&O speakers, today I got some Harman Kardon Nova amplified speakers for it. I am currently running the Nova speakers via Bluetooth from the PC. It's fine, but also has an optical s/pdif input and one Amazon reviewer said the Nova was much better via that input. Unfortunately my PC does not have a s/pdif output. The PC does have a spare HDMI output a few USB outputs. Can any PFM'er recommend a cheap'ish Windows 10 compatible USB to optical converter (or HDMI to optical one) so I can run an optical cable into the Nova speakers?

I have a HP 27-p075na all-in-one monitor/PC. Having got a bit fed up with its inbuilt B&O speakers, today I got some Harman Kardon Nova amplified speakers for it. I am currently running the Nova speakers via Bluetooth from the PC. It's fine, but also has an optical s/pdif input and one Amazon reviewer said the Nova was much better via that input. Unfortunately my PC does not have a s/pdif output. The PC does have a spare HDMI output a few USB outputs. Can any PFM'er recommend a cheap'ish Windows 10 compatible USB to optical converter (or HDMI to optical one) so I can run an optical cable into the Nova speakers?

Easy. Behringer UCA-222

Thanks everyone I will take a deeper look. I saw the Amazon one prior to my post when researching but was confused when one responder suggested the s/pdifs were for inputs (Sky box was mentioned) not outputs. That's why I thought I would ask the PFM collective for what their experience was

I saw the Amazon one prior to my post when researching but was confused when one responder suggested the s/pdifs were for inputs (Sky box was mentioned) not outputs.

It says they are outputs in the description - moreover, if they were inputs what would power the unit? The Behringher is a nice bit of kit though, it works well.

Thanks - I assumed the power would be from the USB, and indeed the description (and direction of arrow on the unit) is clear, but the response to questions regarding the s/pdif ports caused me to pause and ask on here. Looking forward to getting the Behringer.

Thanks - I assumed the power would be from the USB, and indeed the description (and direction of arrow on the unit) is clear, but the response to questions regarding the s/pdif ports caused me to pause and ask on here. Looking forward to getting the Behringer.
The Behringer is powered by the USB. I have one in front of me and it works just beautifully!

+1. Probably the best value bit of kit out there.

Finally got to use the Behringer after some palaver, but can't agree more. Astonishing value (esp the £13 I paid). It's also driving my new Master and Dynamic ME-05 earphones very well (which admittedly are quite easy to drive).

I don't have any trouble moving music to and from USB devices and my PC. However, I have no USB ( Or wi-fi/Bluetooth )equipped kit in my Hi-Fi. The only digital inputs I have are either optical or co-ax S/PDIF into my BenchmarkDac1, or I suppose I could lash up something with the numerous digital in-out wotsits on my old Yamaha CDR 1500.

However, it would be much simpler if I had something to convert directly from USB to Optical/Coax S/PDIF, for access to my DAC, or even to traditional stereo RCA, for direct access to my LFD amp. Have to admit I get increasingly tangled up by this stuff.

Would the Behringer above help me?

IIUC the 222 maxes at 48k/16bit.

For USB -> spdif I use a Halide Bridge (maxes at 96k/24). However it obviously would cost rather more than the 222, and for all I know, may not be on sale any more!

The Benchmark DAC3 lets you set one of the sockets to be an SPDIF out rather than an input. (Have to change a jumper link inside.) Can't the DAC1 do that?

I don't have any trouble moving music to and from USB devices and my PC. However, I have no USB ( Or wi-fi/Bluetooth )equipped kit in my Hi-Fi. The only digital inputs I have are either optical or co-ax S/PDIF into my BenchmarkDac1, or I suppose I could lash up something with the numerous digital in-out wotsits on my old Yamaha CDR 1500.

However, it would be much simpler if I had something to convert directly from USB to Optical/Coax S/PDIF, for access to my DAC, or even to traditional stereo RCA, for direct access to my LFD amp. Have to admit I get increasingly tangled up by this stuff.

Would the Behringer above help me?

Yes it should work remembering the sampling rate limitations that Jim points out and the fact you have a super system. Mine's perfect for my low rent PC desk active speakers.

IIUC the 222 maxes at 48k/16bit.

For USB -> spdif I use a Halide Bridge (maxes at 96k/24). However it obviously would cost rather more than the 222, and for all I know, may not be on sale any more!

The Benchmark DAC3 lets you set one of the sockets to be an SPDIF out rather than an input. (Have to change a jumper link inside.) Can't the DAC1 do that?

Thanks.. but in short, I don't know. Will have to recover the BM manual from the box in the loft. I don't think I can justify the cost of the Halide Bridge in this context. Most of my listening is very analogue via my Orbe/Audiomods/Dynavector 17D3/EAR 834.

Moved to write an update. Listening to my little Harman Kardon Nova desktop amplified speakers fed optically via the little Behringer and I am really impressed. I don't think they are produced anymore but you can check the Nova's out on Ebay if you are in the market for attractive but impressive sounding little amplified desktops. Avoid the bass boost as it muddies up the 3-D soundscape. Well pleased.

advertisement

Back