advertisement

Debussy Preludes R3

kimmiles

pfm Member
I WAS going to add my penny's-worth on the Debussy thread and recommend the complete piano music as played by Jacques Rouvier, a version that I have stuck with for over 20 years and never felt the need to replace. Beautifully recorded in those early days of cd by Denon and beautifully played. I was GOING to buy the Thompson set from the original ASV as they were SO well thought of on that Debussy thread but thought that I would wait for the R3 Record Review. Not only were these 2 sets not even mentioned in passing but loads of recommended recordings on PFM completely ignored!! Now, I do realise that all of this is only personal opinion but the guy reviewing the available versions is a highly regarded musician!!
So what now? Do I get the recommended version, stick with Rouvier or buy all 4 recommended sets (+ Thompson!) and compare them for myself???? (bit of an expensive way to ensure that one gets the best?!)

Well, of course the 'best' is entirely subjective, and Ian Burnside's opinion is just that - he did say a number of times that time etc meant he ruled out loads of versions, always a problem with this format. Fwiw, I have the Osborne he recommended, as well as a few others, but don't feel the need to add the Thibaudet. Great classical music always needs multiple recordings, or that's the excuse we use...)

So what now? Do I get the recommended version, stick with Rouvier or buy all 4 recommended sets (+ Thompson!) and compare them for myself???? (bit of an expensive way to ensure that one gets the best?!)

Rouvier's complete cycle is among the best. The only one I can say that I prefer overall is Michel Beroff's Denon cycle from the 90s. Forget 50s era Gieseking. Sacrilege, I know; I say go for Gieseking's 30s stuff on VAI if you want Gieseking's best work.

If you're looking for just Preludes, the new release by Paavali Jumppanen is splendid, if interventionist. I heard him play the complete set in two recitals last year before the recording came out. He played at very slightly different tempi than he offers on disc, but the overall approach was almost identical. One gentleman who sat behind me at the recitals followed along with the score, and at intermission he commented that Jumppanen's take of General Lavine made him rethink the score. Jumppanen's set also has the advantage of being the best recorded set I've ever heard.

I've not warmed to Fergus-Thompson. I have, however, warmed to Kocsis, Bianconi, Ericourt (a great complete Preludes and complete cycle in dreadful sound), Dalberto (the second book on Aparte is especially good, if hard-hitting), and above all, or rather, on par with the very best, Jean-Rodolphe Kars. If you've not heard Michelangeli in the Preludes, I recommend his playing, whether the DG studio set or the various live recordings that are out there. If you've heard only the DG, I recommend the various live recordings.

advertisement

Back