advertisement

New speakers with LF drivers at least 12” – what’s out there?

I would like to hear that list you have. Some of them must weigh way more than I could move. (most of them)

I would like to hear that list you have. Some of them must weigh way more than I could move. (most of them)

I have two pairs of speakers I can’t pick up (Lockwood Tannoys and La Scalas)! It rules out spikes, stands or anything like that as there is just no way I could do it, not that I think it matters beyond a certain size/weight. I can shuffle both speakers around on the carpet and that is all I need to do. The La Scalas being in corners are very hard to move, about two years ago my cat threw up behind the right one and it was a real PITA getting the speaker out to clean it up!

I think the “Russian” horns I was trying to recall were actually Polish and the model I had in mind was the FP15. I’ve heard the range-topper too, both at the Cranage show. I’m sure the FP15 would be well within budget and my memory was of a nice dynamic but still tonally neutral speaker.

Would you consider a speaker with multiple smaller drivers instead? The Dutch & Dutch 8c has three 8” drivers. That’s roughly the same surface area as a single 13.5” driver. Useful output down to 20Hz. Fully active with built-in DAC and parametric EQ. £8,995 per pair.

Only the two rear facing speakers in the 8cs are used for bass below 100Hz.

Feels like cheating to me :)
BTW and sorry for being off topic, I really do like the idea of these type of small(er) monitors with DSP, where they are much more domestically acceptable and in theory* don’t suffer much compromise.

*Not personally heard any of these yet so don’t know for sure.

There is the Accuhorn, 15” main driver and some kind of ribbon/? Tweeter, can’t recall. Fairly decent sized box and rather inexpensive compared to others.

Interesting. But struggling to find a price for them in £s, $s, or EURs. Will list them as £TBC.

Jamo R909 has a pair of 15" woofers per side. 10K Euro or thereabouts.

To my knowledge the R909 isn't in production any longer. :(

B&w 801s , are they sub $20k in UK.

There's no 801 in the current B&W line-up.

Tekton designs ulfberht
Tekton designs 1812

Yes, these both retail at $12,000. Nice to see a left-field design.

It might be worth giving Derek a call at ART in Troon. A pair of their 12” 3 way speakers may be just the ticket.

It does look like the Art Reference 12 and Art Dram 12 will both fit the bill. I'll include them in the list subject to finding a price (which I know can be difficult with Art speakers ...)

Acuhorn 15 - LF driver 15" - price £TBC

Art Reference 12 - LF driver size 12” - price £TBC

Art Dram 12 - LF driver size 12” - price £TBC

ATC SCM100 - LF driver size 12” - price £13,400 (passive)

ATC SCM150 - LF driver size 15” - price £17,000 (passive)

Harbeth M40.2 - LF driver size 12” - price £10,600

Heco Dreiklang - LF driver size 15” - price £9,000

hORNS FP15 - LF driver size 15" - price £TBC

hORNS Mummy - LF driver size 12" - price £TBC

JBL 4429 - LF driver size 12” - price £6,000

JBL 4367 - LF driver size 15” - price £12,000

Klipsch Heresy III - LF driver size 12” - price £2,500

Klipsch Cornwall III - LF driver size 15" - price £4,750

Klipsch Klipschorn AKS - LF driver size 15” - price £16,000

Klipsch La Scala II - LF driver size 15” - price £9,000

ME Geithain RL901K - LF driver size 16” - price £12,100 (active)

PMC MB2i - LF driver size 12” - price £19,500

Spendor Classic 100 - LF driver size 12" - price £8,000

Spendor Classic 200 - LF driver size 12" (x2) - price £16,000

Tannoy Cheviot - LF driver size 12” - price £5,200

Tannoy Arden - LF driver size 15” - price £6,400

Tannoy Prestige GRF - LF driver size 12” - price £16,700

Tekton Design Ulfbehrt - LF driver size 12” (x2) - price $12,000

Tekton Design 1812 - LF driver size 18” - price $12,000

Yamaha NS-5000 - LF driver size 12" - price £15,000

Would you consider a speaker with multiple smaller drivers instead? The Dutch & Dutch 8c has three 8” drivers. That’s roughly the same surface area as a single 13.5” driver. Useful output down to 20Hz. Fully active with built-in DAC and parametric EQ. £8,995 per pair.
You are getting as bad as Keith for pushing items you sell.

I went at the issue from another angle. I have a pair of self built smallish monitors that are scarily good and perfectly adequate for casual listening. For serious sessions I have a pair of 12 inch Ruark subs that flesh out the bottom end. My room isn't large at all, so it's a great compromise in my given situation.

024-033_Hifi_11_2016-020-fit-732x1098.jpg

Tonsil altus380

Just keep an eye out for some used JBL K2's

You will thank me. I'll be buried in mine and I've owned untold numbers of speakers including 44 series JBL monitors.

15 years now.

https://www.soundstageultra.com/equipment/jbl_k2_s9800.htm

There HAS to be some used pairs out there. Some owners must have thought it worth upgrading.

From the list, I've owned the ATC's the Tannoys, the JBL43 series, the Harbeths and the Spendors. They aren't even remotely close to playing in the same league to my ears.

That’s a very interesting list of speakers and a very diverse one; I’ve heard a number of them and some really had very little in common other than the size of the bass driver (personally I use Yamaha NS-1000Ms).

advertisement

Back