advertisement

Name the best speakers you have EVER heard please

The best I have heard in current production are the Living Voice Vox Olympian, I spent a day with them listening to all sorts of music and part of the time being run on my own amps. Effortlessly superior.

For out of production speakers the Western Electric Mirrorphonic system in the Silbatone room in Munich last year was astonishing.

Best bass I have ever heard was a Meyer PA rig that I set up outside to accompany a fireworks display. We played music to set it up in the afternoon and you really appreciate how much rooms mess up the sound when there isn't one.

The best I have heard in current production are the Living Voice Vox Olympian, I spent a day with them listening to all sorts of music and part of the time being run on my own amps. Effortlessly superior.

For out of production speakers the Western Electric Mirrorphonic system in the Silbatone room in Munich last year was astonishing.

Those living voice look stunning. Serious workmanship. Very expensive though.

Standard listening level is around the level in a cinema, the level that would be used by the majority of professionals working with sound, a bit below the level for listening to sound 8 hours a day without hearing damage,....

The sound level in modern cinemas is subjectively pretty high. I would expect it to cause hearing damage if somebody was subjected to it for 8 hours every working day.
SMPTE RP200 sets the standard at 85dB(C), but I doubt it's that low in practice. This would seem to support the argument that it's all over the place:
http://kxan.com/2014/02/14/testing-movie-theater-volume-too-loud/

Those giant Infinity line array towers from 30-40 years ago. I was in a fairly large room, and you really would have thought an orchestra was in the room. Good sound, and realness-the air was charged with the sound. My clothes moved in response to very low bass notes.

If you are referring to the Infinity IRS, then I totally agree. I heard a choral piece powered by a Burmester pre-amp and Conrad Johnson power amps, and I would have sworn the choir were in the room if I was blindfolded!

Altec Lansing Model 19, a long time ago - so my memory could be playing tricks. I have yet to hear the bass on Inca Roads sound as good as it did on these (via a Technics SP10). Would love to find an affordable mint pair, preferably in our village. Dream on........

It's very hard to isolate one component. I suspect "the best speakers you've heard" == "the best system you've heard". With that in mind, I think so far, the best I've heard were the Avantgarde Trios, with all the bass gubbins. Though I've also heard the Trios sound lousy.

Also got blown away by some big-ish Magicos, though I don't know what model they were. They were only being driven by a middling Devialet, so I'm pretty confident in bigging up the speakers.

I have the Devore Orangutan 93s and love them. Never heard a speaker 'let go of the notes' as quick as the O93s, makes for a great listen. And none of the awful spiked feet or stands crap either, you just sit them on the floor. Great finish too. I listen to mostly UK indie stuff, bit of reggae, Bowie, Neil Young etc. Mostly on vinyl.

I have always been curious to hear the ESL57s, bit of a rare breed out here in Seattle.

Correct dynamics is what is on the recording.

Standard listening level is around the level in a cinema, the level that would be used by the majority of professionals working with sound, a bit below the level for listening to sound 8 hours a day without hearing damage,... It is defined in dBs for the film industry but the music industry has never shown much of an interest in real sound quality and doesn't define it. However, because of the nonlinearity of the ear, the more serious engineers in the music industry have no option but to create their own standard level in order to keep the perceived sound consistent. These levels vary but are in the ballpark of that used by the film industry.

Hmmm.

I've walked out of concerts recently because the 'performers' seemed to think that brain damaging SPLs made them a better band.

I also recall seeing Pentangle at the Albert Hall Nottm. around 1967 and being very pissed off because I could barely hear them.

So.. this 'standard listening level?..

Standard listening level is around the level in a cinema, the level that would be used by the majority of professionals working with sound, a bit below the level for listening to sound 8 hours a day without hearing damage,...

That's a bit high for me. But you raise a good point that AIUI the norm for mixing and mastering professionals is to listen at higher levels than typically used at home. So we don't really experience in music re-production what the music production process uses, unless we do listen at that level.

For the right listening level I defer to Quad's Peter Walker. He is said to have opined that there's a right volume level for each recording. I think this is largely so. I find that a closely-miked piano, for example, needs to be played at a higher than normal level to make the stereo image, the ambience and the sound level all gel according to my live listening experience. A good loudspeaker does have to reproduce surprisingly high peak levels in this sort of case. So I agree with your view on reproducing dynamics.

An example: I recorded the sound levels close to my seat during a broadcast of the two-piano version of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, with volume set to make the image, ambience and sound level gel. Average level (LCeq) was 76 dB SPL and the peak exceeded 101 dB SPL. Levels at 1m from the loudspeakers will have been about 3 dB higher. This was a few dB louder than normal for me but not at neighbour-bothering levels.

I would be wary of thinking in terms of health and safety sound level limits. You do get hearing damage at allowable health and safety limits. The limits are set so the accumulated damage over a working lifetime leaves you able to carry on a conversation with someone physically close. I hope my ears will do better than that for a lot longer.

Im with a few others here who say that its a system, not a pair of speakers that we hear, be that separates or in some way integrated.

So I'll say Linn Komri, but only when fed fully active (or Exakt active) by Klimax level electronics - without the top end electronics they can underwhelm.
And the TAD Reference floorstanders, only heard with the full top end TAD electronics and streamer. No idea what they sound like with other kit.

A good example at Bristol this year. Totem Sky Tower driven by Rega Elixir(?) Amp. With a Rega RP3 source they were very ordinary indeed, in fact, disappointing. But with the BlueSound Node/ Rega DAC they were absolutely superb and easily challenging for best at their price. But so easy to dismiss them in the wrong system (by the way, this is not intended to be a dig at the RP3, I think there might've been something wrong with that one as Ive heard it sounding much better)

A good example at Bristol this year. Totem Sky Tower driven by Rega Elixir(?) Amp. With a Rega RP3 source they were very ordinary indeed, in fact, disappointing. But with the BlueSound Node/ Rega DAC they were absolutely superb and easily challenging for best at their price. But so easy to dismiss them in the wrong system (by the way, this is not intended to be a dig at the RP3, I think there might've been something wrong with that one as Ive heard it sounding much better)

Did they swap the electronics over, or was It the same speakers but In a different room?

Just saying that It could be the room as well as the electronics that make or break a speaker.

That's a bit high for me. But you raise a good point that AIUI the norm for mixing and mastering professionals is to listen at higher levels than typically used at home. So we don't really experience in music re-production what the music production process uses, unless we do listen at that level.

For the right listening level I defer to Quad's Peter Walker. He is said to have opined that there's a right volume level for each recording. I think this is largely so. I find that a closely-miked piano, for example, needs to be played at a higher than normal level to make the stereo image, the ambience and the sound level all gel according to my live listening experience. A good loudspeaker does have to reproduce surprisingly high peak levels in this sort of case. So I agree with your view on reproducing dynamics.

An example: I recorded the sound levels close to my seat during a broadcast of the two-piano version of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, with volume set to make the image, ambience and sound level gel. Average level (LCeq) was 76 dB SPL and the peak exceeded 101 dB SPL. Levels at 1m from the loudspeakers will have been about 3 dB higher. This was a few dB louder than normal for me but not at neighbour-bothering levels.

I would be wary of thinking in terms of health and safety sound level limits. You do get hearing damage at allowable health and safety limits. The limits are set so the accumulated damage over a working lifetime leaves you able to carry on a conversation with someone physically close. I hope my ears will do better than that for a lot longer.

Interesting stuff.

I recall reading somewhere that not only does distortion add to our perception of what is 'loud', but also it is more damaging. Whereas loud but undistorted music programme is relatively innocuous. What does the team think?

Best bass I have ever heard was a Meyer PA rig that I set up outside to accompany a fireworks display. We played music to set it up in the afternoon and you really appreciate how much rooms mess up the sound when there isn't one.

I remember being very taken aback by the quality of the PA at the Crystal Palace fireworks last year, and it was playing some dreadful music at the time...

I recall reading somewhere that not only does distortion add to our perception of what is 'loud', but also it is more damaging. Whereas loud but undistorted music programme is relatively innocuous. What does the team think?
Distressed music from, for example, undersized drivers tends to be perceived as louder than the equivalent undistorted music and tends to stop people winding the volume up further. The risk of playing too loud and long and damaging your hearing is greater with undistorted music.

As mentioned above, it's hard to determine the sound of speakers alone when hearing a demo systems...

Still, in general lasting impression terms, Audio Note E (various) and Graham LS5/9.

Have heard far more 'impressive' speakers (large Avantguard horns etc) but nothing that struck home.

I have Shahinian Hawks (along with ncore nc500 monos & Weiss dac202) at home and they are really great. The first system I've had that can actually do real impact whether it's classical, drum'n'bass, or cinematic all whilst sounding incredibly natural but...

The SoundSystem at the club Under the Bridge, Stamford Bridge is astonishing. I heard Grandmaster Flash there and I've never (remotely) heard such loud controlled, textured bass at the same time as crystal clear throughout the rest of the audio range without a hint of distortion. Not quite sure what it would be like for delicate music but boy did it impress at volume and puts other clubs to shame. The most surprising part was that I had no ear ringing afterwards or the next day, despite probably higher volume levels that I've experienced before.

66 premium PowerLight 3 class D amplifiers apparently..
https://www.digitalstudiome.com/article-4185-chelseas-under-the-bridge-amps-it-up

Did they swap the electronics over, or was It the same speakers but In a different room?

Just saying that It could be the room as well as the electronics that make or break a speaker.

Understood, but no. Same speakers in the same room with the same amplifier. Only the source changed: RP3 vs BlueSound Node with Rega DAC

advertisement

Back