advertisement

Silver cable

Although silver is the best conductor it has only a small advantage over the second best conductor... copper. For the price of silver you could use copper wire of several times the thickness of silver wire. Copper wins hands down. The only time it's commonly used in electronics is in high Q RF inductors where silver plating is sometimes used over copper to reduce skin effect reduction in Q. The "trough" in a Leak Troughline is silver plated for this reason (a pipe in fact in "MkII" versions but a trough in the early MkI which is rarely seen. TonyL and I both have one and both need fettling at some point...)

Not that it's even important to have the lowest resistance possible.... http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/ground-cable-anyone.212298/page-2#post-3319820

Beyond the areas where large differences are readily apparent I would say the majority of reported subjective opinion is a figment of the listeners imagination. It is certainly pure imagination in most off the foo areas as it is simply impossible for the tweaks to do what is claimed!
Anyone who believes their imagined subjective opinions outweigh the laws of physics is a complete idiot who shouldn't be allowed out on their own!
I’m inclined to agree, but I don’t have to sell stuff to the same folks

I'm just a tiny little mole called winkywoo. Some rabbits were nice to me and shared their biscuits. I was gracious and showed my appreciation for liking their posts but then I came across some what could be considered 'nasty' badgers to the 'populous' and they could possibly want to 'turn' me into mole 'stew'. I'm only a tiny little mole but I don't 'Om' no 'shit'. Show me some kindness/respect and I will reciprocate by giving you some of my 'refined' tubers. Moles and badgers speak different languages. A technician is going to understand an engineer (maybe). A lawyer is going to understand the language of a judge (maybe). I'm just a tiny little mole with cloth ears. I sometimes misinterpret the language you are using. I'm not as well travelled as some of you. Please try to explain in a language that I can comprehend.

I'd like to experiment whether silver back to the consumer unit could possibly 'alter' the 'presentation'. I need to find out where to buy the silver. There must be someone on this knowledgeable forum that knows who's supplying who. Be a 'mole' and spill. Help out the little guy. He ain't got much dough. He just wanna appreciate some tunes on his 'bass' box. We 'all' love music. We don't need to have loads of money to enjoy it either.

I have 'herd' over £300,000 of what could be considered tainted 'audiofool' music. 'Some' people who perhaps 'possess' the holy grail filled with 'golden' ears may unintentionally without their 'conscious' knowledge, be 'accused' of speaking out of their 'Fu' by using 'hyperbole' to 'disguise' their apparently 'self' sustaining and what is possibly the hidden 'Evil' of a 'paedophillically' unsatisfiable 'ego'. Sometimes it feels like a 'yang' slinging contest. Who's got the biggest 'dong'? You got loads of 'money' but your system almost ripped me to shreds: I'm 'bleeding' all over. My ears may never recover from the 'shrill' of the possibly 'insanely' intense photonic charges of pure 'Qi' powered by a 'ludicrous' brightness and luminosity that could possibly be considered 'delusional' foreplay by my 'hungry' ghost. Discernment is a quality. It may never be be achieved in this life time: poor young soul, better luck in your next life.

When you throw a 'grenade' into the 'ocean', all of the fish will scatter, the 'nastiest' fish will not flinch an 'eyelid'. Their 'demonic' intent for 'Xue' is fueled by an 'unsatitied' lust for 'ascension'. They look for new 'fish' that they consider to be 'fresh' meat. They 'prey' on these poor 'virginal' souls and use what could be considered 'abusive' and even often 'vulgar' undertones in their 'vile' attempt to show them who's the 'daddy'. This is nothing more than a 'yin' slanging contest for fappers that live alone with possibly 'no' wife or 'family'. Alone with all their 'gold' and too much 'time' on their 'hands', this may possibly allow an 'individual' to draw upon their 'diseased' life 'force' in order to 'feed' the 'unreciprocated' indulgence of the 'Po', in what could be considered futile 'fantasies' but more commonly known as 'unsubstantiated' but also 'affectionately' known as 'BS'. When they're not fapping over the 'NX555' or 'tinkering' with their 'winkies' they 'impute' what could be considered 'halucinagenic' hyperbole by fapping ripping 'us' off with 'unsubstantiated' claims which don't make a fapping 'PRaT': this is 'enforced' by an 'army' of loyalists ready to defend their 'censored' dictatorship.

There are some really distinguished retired technicians/engineers here. In addition to distinguished policy makers and advisors. Why don't we form a 'new' company? A co-operative? Rewarded by investment and divided according to input and expertise? What do you think ladies and gentlemen? We all have the same passion for music. We all started from somewhere, be it rich or poor. You work whenever you want. You assist with the design schematics, technicalities, engineering, finance, policy making, sales, accounting, law. Whatever your speciality is, this mole is graciously offering to follow his 'Shen' for 'real' change. This mole is asking for your help. This mole needs your expertise. You don't get paid anything. You're already retired and I doubt you need the money.

We need benefactors and philanthropists to support 'One' universal cause. It's not cheap bringing a product to market. It could cost millions of tubers and the returns could be slow. We need an entry level and refined series to allow all moles to enjoy their music. We all live in the same hole. We need to get along but sometimes we disagree and at times it could be considered distasteful. There are always two sides to a story. Sometimes there is miscommunication that possibly escalates into what could be considered 'nuclear' warfare, but we need to move on and progress with life. We all make mistakes: perhaps 'unicorns' exist that are too proud to admit that they may have possibly made what could be considered an 'error'. Come out of your holes. I know that there are loads of moles in this 'hole'. Reveal yourselves or PM me! We've got some BSc, MSc, PhD and a myriad of recognised qualifications out there that are too numerous to 'Naim' but remain significant.

We also need people that will be able to demo our products. We need some volunteers and venues to test out our 'creations'. We need to know what the rules and regulations are. It is illegal to break the 'Way' so we may require a 'review' of the policies based on the 'latest' academic research. Do you girls and guys wanna publish some articles for review in peer reviewed journals? It would make our work more scientifically credible and acceptable to the general public and the 'ASA'. We also need rigorous scientific research and studies with well defined methodologies and reproduceable conditions examined under the scrutiny of 'unbiased' criticality. Moles are welcome to discuss so much more, mole to mole. Who wants in? I suggest a new 'Name' for this company.

Last edited:
.......... We all love music. We don't need to have loads of money to enjoy it ........

I haven’t a clue what the rest of your lengthy post is all about, but I can agree with this statement. And I have to say that, literally, the last thing I would consider spending money on, and the least likely to change by one iota the enjoyment I get from music, would be to waste a shed load of money in replacing my house wiring with solid silver wiring!

Density of silver is 10.5g/cm^3. At 4mm^2 for each of live and neutral plus at least another 2mm^2 for the safety earth gives 10mm^2 total conductor area, 0.1cm^2, times 100cm/m = 10cc of silver per metre of cable, 105g/m, at just under 40p/g bullion rate is £42/m metal content alone. It is not yet drawn into wire, the phase conductors are not wrapped in suitable insulating material, nor the whole lot wrapped in a second insulating jacket. By the time that has been achieved I think it is safe to say that the cost will be quite a bit more...

Or you can order 10m of 10mm^2 twin'n'earth house wiring cable from Toolstation for £33 (free delivery on orders over £10). Which do you think offers the lowest resistance?

Winky -Question... why do you think that 'lower resistance' silver mains cables will help your sound quality?

Especially as you are trying to make the last couple of metres at lower resistance, when the previous several metres (perhaps even dozens of metres) of copper cable back to the HV/LV transformer.

Resistance adds up in series - so calculate the total resistance from the transformer. Then see what the difference in resistance is when you change the last couple of metres to a silver cable. Do you expect that difference to do something - what exactly I am wondering.

I’m inclined to agree, but I don’t have to sell stuff to the same folks

I have this seemingly unique USP in the form of "just cos the rest of the industry bullshits customers into buying bollox doesn't mean I'll do the same".
Now I'd rather hoped that after a while people would catch on to the fact that most of what they're told in mags, by dealers and on forums is 24 caret BS and that I offer this weird new concept.. honesty.. and that it would win me loads of customers.. it's a long game so far but I ain't given up even though the main result has been ostracism and vilification from those who bought into the bollox and can't be seen to lose face by admitting they've been had. It can be difficult to admit that the emperor is naked if you've been a fanboi of his new clothes for years, commented on the cut and fit on many forums and maybe offered to model the latest fashion...
Judging from what many claim and believe though I expect to see a surfeit of yeti's in basements, perpetual motion machines in lofts and pixies at the bottom of the gardens of many audiophools.

Winky -Question... why do you think that 'lower resistance' silver mains cables will help your sound quality?

Especially as you are trying to make the last couple of metres at lower resistance, when the previous several metres (perhaps even dozens of metres) of copper cable back to the HV/LV transformer.

Resistance adds up in series - so calculate the total resistance from the transformer. Then see what the difference in resistance is when you change the last couple of metres to a silver cable. Do you expect that difference to do something - what exactly I am wondering.

Spot on. Indeed I'm expecting to see a crack (pot) squad of audiophools breaking into local substations to rewind the transformers with 9n's silver wire any day now.

Please see one of my previous posts that details that I have already have an almost full loom of silver cables: I prefer the presentation I my humble opinion.

Last edited:

What makes you think it is the resistance of the wire that affects sound quality? In fact, what makes you think you know what property of the wire to measure that correlates with sound quality? Any references?

You seem to have knowledge of the rules and regs. Help me out Bro. I thought silver was a better conductor of electricity. It seems ironic that people can sell mains cables to power their hifi and they pass the regs, but a house can't be fitted with a conductor that is 'better' than copper. Is it possible to ask for a change in the BS (bullshit) regulations?

as others said silver may be, but thats not the point.

Also people selling these silver plated mains cables need o be careful, I cant find any silver flex with a BS number - meaning its not tested to regulations and thereby making them liable for all sort of claims if one there cables gave a shock or was implicated in a electrical fire. We've had similar in industry with people installing SY and YY cables, which do not comply to BS, and we've had a memo round not to use these cables for mains power and only for control systems for which they were designed.

Its not about what is the best conductor, but what level of insulation is on the cable and what happens to that cable and insulation when current and overcurrent is applied to them. Cable testing and standards is a very strictly controlled

The British Standard is about to change - its getting stricter, and its not bull shit, its very serious maths and physics based engineering and luckly for us the best regulations in the world.

What makes you think it is the resistance of the wire that affects sound quality? In fact, what makes you think you know what property of the wire to measure that correlates with sound quality? Any references?
that would be the capacitance of the cable and there's an equation for it

I don't think any such thing, But Winky keeps banginn that silver is a better conductor than copper. It is, by a very few percent. A better conductor can only mean lower resistance, by any definition that I have ever come across.

Please see one of my previous posts that details that I have already have an almost full loom of silver cables: I prefer the presentation I my humble opinion.

OK - you like silver interconnects, some people do. I question that the silver is the defining factor in those - but I am not sure you can buy identical cables in a choice of copper or silver to compare them properly. But.... your incoming mains cable is not carrying a signal. So why / how could that affect sound quality?

Mains electricity into your hifi is delivered as power in tiny little frequent top up doses to your power supply capacitors. Could Silver conductors make a difference to that?

If you like silver that much - you could try building an amp with a silver plated circuit board. That should be do-able (anyone tried?) and probably easier than trying to make a legal DIY silver cored power cable.

OK - you like silver interconnects, some people do. I question that the silver is the defining factor in those - but I am not sure you can buy identical cables in a choice of copper or silver to compare them properly. But.... your incoming mains cable is not carrying a signal. So why / how could that affect sound quality?

Mains electricity into your hifi is delivered as power in tiny little frequent top up doses to your power supply capacitors. Could Silver conductors make a difference to that?

If you like silver that much - you could try building an amp with a silver plated circuit board. That should be do-able (anyone tried?) and probably easier than trying to make a legal DIY silver cored power cable.
Perhaps your post should be directed towards the electrical engineers on here because I'm only a tiny little mole that doesn't know much about electronics.

advertisement

Back