advertisement

Linn Katan

john & Jake

Jake was smarter than me
Hi, My system is LP12 Marantz pm 6004 (bi wire outputs available) Rogers LS7.
Upgrade'itis has struck since I added the Linn and I'm looking for a speaker upgrade.
Probably has to be stand mounted, been looking at the Katan but not sure if it would be a sideways step from the Rogers, any advice welcome please.

No idea what the Rogers LS7 sounds like but I can tell you that Katans smooth, detailed and fast, they don't go very deep but they are punchy. In the long term they would benefit from better amplification than the PM6004. Something like Nait 5 would be a sensible move, as would the newer Linn Majik.

Hi, thanks for the description, the LS7s are very detailed and convey emotion well, tailed off at the extreme upper end which suits me well as I don't like any hint of brightness. bass is a little limited but carries a tune well with no trace of boxy colouration. If there is no bass in the tune you won't hear any from the boxes.
Sounds like the Katan will be an option.
The amplifier was a prezzie so an upgrade in that department may be a little tricky. It was an award winner and doesn't disgrace itself with the Lp12.
A better MM pre is on the way though to play through the Marantz.

Hi, thanks for the description, the LS7s are very detailed and convey emotion well, tailed off at the extreme upper end which suits me well as I don't like any hint of brightness. bass is a little limited but carries a tune well with no trace of boxy colouration. If there is no bass in the tune you won't hear any from the boxes.
Sounds like the Katan will be an option.
The amplifier was a prezzie so an upgrade in that department may be a little tricky. It was an award winner and doesn't disgrace itself with the Lp12.
A better MM pre is on the way though to play through the Marantz.
No worries John, I totally get that. My parents bought me a Pro-Ject Debut for my sixteenth birthday... I’d almost saved enough cash for a Rega Planar 3, I decided it’d be best to at least stick with the Debut for a short while... I got around it by setting up a second system.:D

advertisement

Back