advertisement

The first record you ever bought?

Fresh Cream by Cream in 1968. A bit of a latecomer to buying records, I was 15 at the time. Still play the album (not my original unfortunately) regularly.

1st LP Electric Ladyland,my local electrical store had this and let me listen in the booth,didn't have enough money to buy it outright,but paid for it over a couple weeks and then was able to take it home,as expected my parents were horrified.
Can't remember first single,but probably something by The Beatles.
Still have the LP,gave all my singles away.

Single would have Roll Over Lay Down (Status Quo ) in 1973, I was 16. From Woolworths in Buckingham. I bought very few singles - no idea what happened to this.

Album was Part 2 of Tommy by The Who. From a record shop on Edgeware Road, also in 1973. My mate challenged me to buy a stereo for £20. So we went to London by train and I got a stereo and a record for £20!

Followed very quickly by ELP and Led Zep 1. Still got every album I ever bought except the Led Zep - I have no idea why I agreed to sell it to a friend.

Gilbert O'Sullivan - 'Alone Again (Naturally)' (I was 7 years old)

First LP would have been 'Talking Book' the year after.

T Rex Electric Warrior February 1972, I was 11 and it was half term. So 46 years ago this week probably !
Purchased from Curry's, High Street, Cheltenham (domestic appliances ground floor, records galore upstairs.) I think it cost about £2.75, the chap who served me asked me if I had a paper round or something to enable me to afford it, I said no, I had just saved up.
I do wish I had kept that record, certainly one of my desert island discs.

I then had a 3 year break from buying records for some reason, so the next one was Sheer Heart Attack by Queen in February 1975. Still got that one though, along with Queen 1 & 2 bought soon after.

Single: Substitute by The Who
Album: WYWH
Probably both bought WH Smith High Wycombe sometime 1976

The first album that l walked into a shop and bought myself was The Beatles 1962-1966, with some Christmas money in 1973, from Counterpoint in Great Malvern. I think it was £3.99.

First LP was Disraeli Gears, straight swap with a mate for my Webley air pistol.
I hadn't heard of Cream at the time but was attracted by the cool cover.

Apparently Eric Clapton had been thinking of buying a racing bicycle and was discussing it with Ginger Baker, when roadie Mick Turner commented, "it's got them Disraeli gears ", meaning to say "derailleur gears ", and they thought the former would make a good album title.

"Crocodile Rock" by Elton John on 45rpm single with pocket money from local record shop, then the album "Don't Shoot Me..." with birthday or Xmas gift money shortly after from WH Smith.

Single is long gone (think I swapped it with a mate for something else) but still have the LP and still sounds good despite some of the low quality decks it got played on in the early years

The first single I bought was Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John. Bought in 1973 (when I was 10 years old) from the large Woolworths that used to be situated opposite Waverley Station in Edinburgh.

I still enjoy listening to that track but the single itself met with an unfortunate end. The heat from halogen lights in a bathroom slowly melted the 45rpm singles that were stored in the attic up above.

Crikey, you matured young.

Bloss
Heh yeah it looks like that Bloss.

Records were a bit of obsession for me from a very early age, Thanks not only to my parents but to my female cousin who would bring her boxes of 7"s around (full of Motown and Atlantic soul stuff as well as the Glam singles of the day).

I didn't really understand the lyrical content of the Gilbert single at the time of course but even at 7 I did get that melancholy feel of the music which I found strangely appealing.

advertisement

Back