advertisement

Bubble wrap.....

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
I want some bubble wrap, large bubbles and strong...for Hi Fi packaging.

Last lot I got was awful, weak and the bubbles popped on light handling.

Can someone point me to some decent strong large bubble bubble wrap please?

Perhaps on Amazon ?

Do not rely on bubble-wrap for packing anything with any weight to it! You need the rigid white styrofoam stuff at every corner, top and bottom, and then to double-box. Bubble wrap is really only to keep any seperately packed cables etc well separated from the equipment casework.

I delivered some the other day, the recipient told me to pop it in the corner. I was there all day.

coat got, know where the door is, now you know why I don't post frequently

If you happen to be passing through Boston Massachusetts I have a whole basement full of that Jiffy Furni-soft stuff following an international move.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The reviews of that one on Amazon are not good...and its small bubbles...

Spotted this negative review, worthy of this forum methinks...

"I was a little disappointed with this bubble wrap. I was expecting a slightly more crisp popping sound and instead it gave off a more subdued pop. It's as if it wasn't really 'into' it. I would suggest the manufacturer may have used a lower quality air, possibly at lower altitude when they made it which may account for the sound.
I wouldn't discount this product if you want to pop at later times of the night maybe. The baritone nature of the pop won't wake the kids, but for those of us who enjoy it during daylight then I'd steer clear."

I have to agree with the no bubble wrap rule for hifi. We've had a number of damaged amps sent to us in good faith with multiple layers of the stuff. If you do package stuff like this then note that at first glance it seems really snug. Then a courier knocks a corner and a couple of bubbles burst. Then the item moves around a bit and a few more go, then by the time it gets to the destination we have a rattling box and layers of flat plastic. Crumpled cardboard/paper suffers a similar fate and has abrasive qualities that's really good at scratching cases.

I’ve bought and sold a lot of hi-fi over the years, and before that vintage synthesisers. I always tried to explain to sellers never to rely on bubble-wrap and to always remove and discard the UK mains plug as they cause unimaginable damage if they are between the item and a drop to a hard surface. The stuff I’ve seen destroyed by bad packaging is pretty much endless; previously mint wood case A21, range-topping ‘70s Yam tuner, Korg MS20, Roland SH-101 etc etc....

Always use hard styrofoam. Always double box. Always remove and discard the mains plug.

PS Always retain the packaging for things you buy as they not only properly protect the item but also add a substantial amount to the resale value.

If it has to be bubble wrap, then one of those Big Yellow Storage places sell huge rolls of it. They also have strong cardboard boxes of various sizes for sale.
An academic once handed me a box with an expensive, sensitive amp in it to be returned, I felt it move so I opened it and he had put it in a yellow plastic bag (with the words "Infectious material for incineration only" printed on it) and he had gaffer taped that to the bottom of the box. It only took me 20 min to re pack it with Styrofoam and a stronger outer box.

Oh - and writing FRAGILE on the box has no effect whatsoever on its handling. Another issue is people augmenting manufacturer's packaging by adding material in the air gaps. They're crumple zones. Anything you put in there will likely press against the object you're trying to protect. Our best one remains the Hicap in a shoe box though.

Bubble wrap is also expensive and heavy.

We ship mainly light stuff and wouldn't use it because of the above reasons. Very frustrating to see your parcel weighing 1054gm.

We use laminate floor underlay 3mm. And foam chips as the 2nd option. Not good for hifi, I don't think though!

I purchased an ipad from someone here who shipped it in a plastic padded envelope. No joke. The amazing thing was it arrived undamaged.

Assorted nautical jigsaws
Horticultural slideshows
Another castle by Edward the First
Another manor house supposedly cursed
Don’t they realise we’re easily pleased?
Don’t they know that all they’ve really got to do is
Give us bubblewrap
Give us bubblewrap
Give us bubblewrap
And stick the Apple Mac in the car park

Take a typical warlord
Psychological nightmare
The inhumanity, oppression and greed
The stiff missionary
The porcine feed
Megalomaniacal, loaded for bear
I think a diplomat should get over there and
Give him bubblewrap
Give him bubblewrap
Give him bubblewrap
And tell him Baccarat is illegal

Thelwall Friday afternoon
So much so for Brig o’Doon
Oh sing song ping pong
Fish fry whist drive
Nurse just throw another log upon the fire and
Give us bubblewrap
Give us bubblewrap
Give us bubblewrap
Give us bubblewrap
Double wrap, other crap, have it back, river cruise, dinner queues, Bladder News, inner tubes bubblewrap

advertisement

Back