advertisement

Audio Rack advice/ideas

lencotweaker

Mostly dreaming of record players
Reaching out to the audio collective for some ideas on an audio rack with some somewhat extreme requirements.

I have a TW Acustic Raven AC3 turntable that I need to accommodate on a new rack. Therefore the minimum foot print I can get away with is 600x450mm on the top plinth. The turntable weighs in excess of 50kg too so it needs to be properly chunky! Also some of the other pieces to go on the rack are not light either so the rack in total probably needs to be comfortable up to say 100kg. Maybe a double width rack would bring some flexibility for a second turntable. Finally this needs to be reasonably priced, say upto £1000.

I've been looking for months and keep coming up blank. Most racks I can see are not really designed for such weights and are rarely wide enough. So anyone got any experience accommodating large heavy turntables on a commercially available rack. Or do i need to go bespoke (ideas...)?

Grateful for any input.

Cheers all!

For bespoke, have a chat with Alistair @ Woodendal via his website linked below and tell him what you're looking for...

https://www.woodendal.com/shop/

I supplied him with the dimensions I needed and he knocked me up a three shelf unit. Then, when I had more kit, a fourth section was added. Indeed, the photo he uses for his Carmen rack on eBay was taken by me at the time I received the additional shelf and populated with kit I had at that time.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Carmen-Solid-Oak-handmade-HI-FI-AV-Stand/302509719981

Prices have increased, but its still great value and its still in use as a type :)

i like the hi fi racks stuff as you can change it around and i have several different size legs to use so can adjust to changes in kit .

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, exactly what I am looking for. Both look ideal for me. I especially like the Hifi Racks website! Such choice!

I will second the Hi-fi Racks suggestion. Superbly built and look great.

And so they should be for the money they charge. The equivalent rack to the one I built worked out a nearly £3k! Approx 10x what mine cost.

Hi-Fi Racks here too. For those of us that can't brandish a saw with any sort of flair (or accuracy), a price worth paying IMHO.

Thanks for the linky :) You did a really nice job of that and my DIY skills are probably up to that. Hmmm.

One question, you talk of some M8 inserts. Can you give me a better description or a photo. I can't visualise what you mean. The rest looks rather straightforward.

The spikes I bought (from Amazon marketplace) were 2 piece, the spike and the threaded insert that went into the legs, which the spike then screws into.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TX44Q0O/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Got it. Simples!

Getting the inserts dead centre was the hardest bit. If you buy the legs from a turning blank supplier, you could ask them to drill a 10mm hole in each leg using their lathe which will ensure it's exactly right. They'll probably only charge a couple of quid extra for the whole lot.

just that you have a raven ,,did me,,, stunning craftsmanship would to hear all that hard work paying off ,,top draw , there was people talking about raven a while ago ,all the rage ,if you have the dosh, look great i bet they sound great look back on this foram cheers andy , if you are close i will be driving up with my records

I'd DIY as above. If you are clever with your suppliers you don't need to operate a saw at all. Also bear in mind that second hand racks generally go for nothing as they need collection amd won't generally ship. Finally, if you can stand a utilitarian look, Ikea shelving works and will stand the weight. You could try this as a temp solution to establish sizes and shapes, it costs tenners and it will be yo'little dog, honey, till yo'big dog come.

I use Ikea Sten in, erm, all over the house, actually, but notably as a 90cm x 50cm x 40cm hifi rack (WDH) in the conservatory. You will also find it in the garage, shed, dining room/library, lounge, office, and climbing gear store. The only places I *don't* have it are my bedroom, guest room, kitchen and bathroom. This is the danger, the little dog done take over an' de big dog still not come, this side 15 years gone by.

I used oak kitchen worktop offcuts bought locally off Ebay. These came up fairly regularly so quite easy to get hold of. Bought the brass fittings off Ebay as well. Used the "savings" to pay a Joiner to put them together and then sanded and oiled them myself.

advertisement

Back