advertisement

claire.foxx

-⃝⃤
I had to delete a lot of my posts in this thread because I cancelled my photo hosting service and all my posts became blank photos with advertising n it's place. I will try a build post rebuilding the thread as soon as I can recover images.

Last edited:
I've always liked the Klutz Design cancans which have become the Auralic Gemini headphone amps but Auralic and Roon are not exactly the best of partners, they are also horrendously expensive. But they look super frickin cool.

They just look a little bit too much like upside-down versions of these:

siime-up.png

What browser are you using? Shows picture OK for me, but it is a png pic, and I guess some browsers don't like the format.

Wow! Everything's beautiful – from the cans stands to the desk to the speakers! Enjoy!

Bloody good build that Claire. I'm particularly taken with the idea of the pi and gubbins in the base to make for a one stop listening station. Sadly, if I attempted to create such a thing it would be smoldering for weeks after I admitted defeat.....

My fear would be the chrome chipping around the slot, it will leave an un-chromed edge to go rusty and start the chrome peeling.

Pete

I like this a lot, just curious how much does a sheet (8x4) of that walnut cost? I buy them here for 40 mm thickness costs me after currency conversion approx 250 pounds, that's direct from a manufacturer.

I really love this project but doubted my ability to achieve the woodwork part. Nevertheless it did make me think I ought to get something to hang my headphones on so I searched for some headphone stands and found this! It looks pretty much the same size as Claire's, possibly a bit thinner and it doesn't have the groove on the top. I bought the same lamp base and chrome knobs from the same places as Claire.

This is to sit next to my headphone amp and provide a Roon endpoint, so I needed to fit a standard Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry DAC Pro. And it just fits. It needed one hole in the lamp base drilling (there's already one in the side) for phono sockets and a small slot to fit a micro usb socket for power. I mounted the Pi on a piece of thin, stiff plastic with nylon standoffs and bolted through the plastic into the wooden bit. It was still a mm or so to tall so I cut the standoffs down a little, dabbed a bit of JB Weld on them and when it was dry cut off the nylon screws to the standoffs on the underside so that the plastic mounting plate was flush with the lamp base. I spent a lot of time thinking about how to make a base for it but in the end I've left it open. There is a thin rim on the underneath of the lamp base that is chromed, so it is nice and smooth a won't scratch anything.

image1 by Simeon Jones, on Flickr

IMG_0177 by Simeon Jones, on Flickr

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back