advertisement

LP12 Cable reccommendations

Sean K

pfm Member
My 1983 LP12 still has its original grey, tonearm to preamp cable, which is looking rather tatty.

I'm not planning to go down the exotic route, just after something that's fit for purpose, i.e., mechanically and electrically compatible. Was hoping to spend less than 50 quid, but looking at ebay prices, this may be a bit optimistic.

Cheers

Hi,

I asked my dealer a while back the same question.

His answer, keep the grey cable, don't spend money that you don't need to.

Cheers

John

For a start you are taking about 2 quite separate cables: the internal one, from cartridge to arm base and the external from arm base to preamp. In the arm base there is a connector, male and on the end of the external cable there is a female right angled connector which then leads out of the deck to rca connectors for the preamp. Therefore we talk about recabling the arm with extremely thin and pliable arm cables while the external cable is more mains cable size. Dunno about 50 quid, more like 150 if you opt for Audioorigami as most of us seem to do.

cables are expensive. is because of the top quality SME connector with the metal body and gold pins --- is the most expensive bit

SME put there prices up a couple months ago think I'm paying something like £65 just for the SME connector :(

When I had an ittok some years ago I changed the cable to a high quality but reasonably priced (£80ish) cable and was amazing by the difference
Don't listen to your linn dealer!!

For a start you are taking about 2 quite separate cables: the internal one, from cartridge to arm base and the external from arm base to preamp. In the arm base there is a connector, male and on the end of the external cable there is a female right angled connector which then leads out of the deck to rca connectors for the preamp. Therefore we talk about recabling the arm with extremely thin and pliable arm cables while the external cable is more mains cable size. Dunno about 50 quid, more like 150 if you opt for Audioorigami as most of us seem to do.

I had my Naim system for 20 yrs (NACA and Snaics, etc), until October, now switched to active ATCs using bog-standard mic leads. Aside from a Toslink and a digital coax, I think the last time I bought an interconnect was for my Arcam CD player, in 1996, so I am definitely out of touch on prices.

Wasn't planning on recabling the arm (at this point....)

Best cable is no cable :) I put Prefix in my lp12 to eliminate cable.Never did something better to system sound.I cant imagine that I have distorsions in system until that.Maybe this is better phono amp ,but I think that the most of upgrade comes from eliminating cable.

My 1983 LP12 still has its original grey, tonearm to preamp cable, which is looking rather tatty.
Cheers

The original LP12 arm cable is just that, Grey, really grey, when compared to the VandenHull I changed to when I owned an LP12 many years ago.

Errol.

Based on my esperience, I strongly recommend the grey cable of recent Akito arm instead of black t-kable (standard on EKOS SE)

M.

advertisement

Back