advertisement

Sondek LP12 arm options

I have the Moth arm on my SYSTEMDEK, but I don’t want to break that apart.

The Linn arms seem to have bearings which are made of cheese. Seems to be a weak point.

Origin Live Onyx - looks great, sounds great - mine has the up-graded wiring
I've heard the Silver on a Michell and it worked great there and does look nice too. But if you go with a Rega armboard there are many other options to consider also like Audiomods or the "new" Audio Note V2 arms.

Not heard that the Linn arms have bearing problems except perhaps early Akito's. The Linn arms are all pretty common so no doubt there are some out there that will have bearing issues from numbers alone.

For the Ekos and Ittok there is a recommendation that cartridges are changed with the arm off the deck to protect the bearings. However I suspect that is more down to good practice rather than an inherent issue.

The LP12s on eBay are mostly fitted with Linn arms so it’s most likely I will end up with one of those.

Buy an LP12 with a Linn armboard and/or Linn arm, sell the armboard, arm and cable and buy a Nima and armboard. If you buy a deck with an Ittok, you'll make money (around £1-200) on the deal and have an arm that knocks the proverbial out of an Ittok.

Simples.......................

There are plenty of alternative arm choices out there including many not mentioned so far.

For example the Alphason arms go from entry level through to the HR-100S which is highly regarded and may be obtained cheaper second hand than Ittoks.
There are the Logic Datum arms that are probably better than the Basik Plus. Very occasionally Manticore Musician arms show up which I also prefer to the Basik Plus.

In my LP12 days I went from Ittok to Ekos, which I didn’t like; then to Aro which was lovely. Then to Funk FXR which was by far and away the best bet. I still have an FXR albeit now on a Funk deck.

There are hardly any second hand Funk arms around which sort of speak for itself. There are a couple of cheaper Funk arms now available and I would bet they would do a good job. Whether they can be fitted to an LP12 I don’t know, but Arthur who owns Funk is ultra helpful .

If I was building an LP12 now I would probably use the PU7. It sounds at least as good as the Ekos, but has a big enough headshell for any cartridge, and (gasp!) doesn't need to be removed from the turntable to install a cartridge. Another option is the Kuzma Stogi Reference. It is quite heavy, but is a fantastic arm, with a big, dynamic, robust sound, quite the opposite of the flimsy looking and sounding unipivots often put on the LP12 (eg ARO).

pu7 in black would suit you sir :)

can't seem to get a pic uploaded :(

https://www.facebook.com/AudioOriga...266429963233/1477919438964587/?type=3&theater

o_O
In my LP12 days I went from Ittok to Ekos, which I didn’t like; then to Aro which was lovely. Then to Funk FXR which was by far and away the best bet. I still have an FXR albeit now on a Funk deck.

There are hardly any second hand Funk arms around which sort of speak for itself. There are a couple of cheaper Funk arms now available and I would bet they would do a good job. Whether they can be fitted to an LP12 I don’t know, but Arthur who owns Funk is ultra helpful .

I just sold a Funk FXR and now use an ARO!

o_O

I just sold a Funk FXR and now use an ARO!

As ever, beauty is in the ear of the beholder :)

The problem for the OP will be choice without audition although the fact that the great bulk of LP12-owners tend to choose one of two (three if you include the new-comer Nima) arms says quite a bit, IMO.

Reactions: Anh
If I hadn't got an aro (which I have!!) It would be straight onto Jonny 7 at audio origami for one of his uni pivots for me...

Bang per buck - a second-hand Nima at £400-450................................... seriously, that is VERY, VERY difficult to beat on an LP12 (IMHO).

In the case of an ARO, is the extra £1000 or so justified for the extra detail................... beauty is in the ear of the beholder :)

Why specifically the LP12?

I had a systemdek for a while and loved it, then went to an Audio Note TT1 as a progression.

I’m now running an OL resolution mk3 with PU7 and Koetsu cart all in for less than £3000, a decent LP12 will cost that for just the TT.

My advice would be to spend your money on something better VFM as LP12’s need a lot of money to sound great.

advertisement

Back