advertisement

Bloodhound

robs

should know how this works by no
Having followed this project for many years, this completely passed me by a couple of days ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41635066

I used to live very close to their original Thrust SSC workshop, and had a long chat with a nice chap about the project at the FoS this year.

First 'take off' expected in a week's time at Newquay.

Good luck to them!

Cant wait to see / hear this thing run next week. Hoping the weather plays fair.
Have supported this whenever I could, and look forward to seeing my name on the fin break the 1000mph barrier next year in SA.
A truly remarkable feat of engineering in every department.
I struggle to understand how a wheel at its outermost rim can withstand 50K G? This will, and has beeen tested to at RR.

My name will be on the fin too!

I was asked to join the team early in the project, starting with prepping the Hakskeen Pan, but there's no way I could do it. Shame.

If they do manage the 1,000mph, I doubt the record will be broken again in my lifetime.

I remember as a youngster sitting in Thrust 2 which IIRC was built on the Isle of Wight. My uncle lives there and was their photographer when they took off to the Salt Lakes in the states for a run. I think the chap driving was Richard Noble but cannot remember exactly...I had some photos that my uncle gave me but they've vanished in many moves.

Yep, Noble drove Thrust 2. At one point it was stored/tested at the then RAF Wattisham, which is where I now work. Sadly on much slower aircraft than the Phantoms of the 1980s.

I feel a bit guilty for not following this, certainly happy to support it and love the idea of my name on the fin!

There's a part of me that is very nervous for the driver, I can't begin to think of the forces going through various parts of the car, let alone how to even keep it remotely connected to the ground. Must have a little read up on the technology.

I feel a bit guilty for not following this, certainly happy to support it and love the idea of my name on the fin!

There's a part of me that is very nervous for the driver, I can't begin to think of the forces going through various parts of the car, let alone how to even keep it remotely connected to the ground. Must have a little read up on the technology.

Their website is pretty good, so start there.

The computer modelling they did for Thrust SSC over twenty years ago turned out to be spot on. Should be a breeze now.

Yup.
I was thinking earlier....why is anyone actually driving it? Driverless cars are all the rage, so why does anyone need to risk their life to 'drive' it? The technology must be relatively insignificant in the scheme of things, so why not make it driverless, test it to hell, then add 'driving' passenger once proven?
Maybe something in the rules?

Why would anyone drive it? Blimey. I'd love to drive at over 200. For Andy Green, his Tornado and Typhoon experience has prepared him well over the years, and is there really much difference between 763mph and 1,000mph when there's no nearby scenery flashing past?

No no, I understand why someone <would> drive it, and want to, but why does someone <need> to drive it during testing phase?
I bet his life insurance premium is a bit steep...

Yup.
I was thinking earlier....why is anyone actually driving it? Driverless cars are all the rage, so why does anyone need to risk their life to 'drive' it? The technology must be relatively insignificant in the scheme of things, so why not make it driverless, test it to hell, then add 'driving' passenger once proven?
Maybe something in the rules?

It is in the rules. There are classes for rocket sleds etc, but they're not interesting to most people, even though they've ferocious acceleration and silly top speeds.

Silly:

https://youtu.be/L5bPu58fSc0

For those that didn't see it, this video from a couple of years ago is great stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back