advertisement

Royd Troubadour

the heretic

pfm Member
Has anyone actually bought these speakers? Are they actually selling any?

I've heard nothing about them since the launch.

Andrew

I would be interested to hear how these sound compared to my Royd Sorcerer, Minstrel & RR3. :)

I guess that would settle for me whether these are a "Royd" speaker or not.

of course they are Royd speakers. And very good ones at that.

Royd by name yes, as I mentioned, I would like to have a good listen alongside the ones designed and built by Joe Akroyd. There has been no real mention yet of such a comparison on the forums hence my remarks.

Adam used old Royd models for inspiration and wanted to recreate the magic so I'd have thought they would stack up well. He was a fan of Royd speakers before buying the name. I'd love to hear a pair at some point.

Excellent write up in the Wam. Adam you're clearly pursuing something both out of a love of design and aesthetics, and you have a passion for it. Hope this builds into a successful business for you. Also hope you're able to one day bring back the "8 ball".

Good luck.

Excellent write up in the Wam. Adam you're clearly pursuing something both out of a love of design and aesthetics, and you have a passion for it. Hope this builds into a successful business for you. Also hope you're able to one day bring back the "8 ball".

Good luck.

8 ball was perhaps the starting point and sadly had to be sidelined in order for me to concentrate on Royd. However I would at some point like to explore some of those ideas again perhaps with a special projects section for Royd audio.

It would also be a shame to loose all the development we did on the Soldier amp up to prototype as that was sounding very promising but I'm not sure anyone is ready for a Royd amp just yet!

Speaking of critical reviewing the June edition if HiFi critic is also running a review. I haven't seen it so hopefully should make interesting reading.

Hifiwigwam the home of critical reviewing.

I happen to find the Wam's reviews quite straightforward and honest, perhaps not as fancy as others but you can read into the lines and see what they're driving at.

I'd like to compare (one day) troubadours to Minstrel SE's. I owned them and absolutely loved them and was shocked at how deep the bass went. In a small room it could have been my only speaker to live with. I mistakenly went for Doublets on the thought that they would give me that extra push in a bigger room and, the magic was gone.

Anyway this is all to say that I would benchmark the troubadours against those, Not the standard minstrels which, although lovely, weren't as mindblowingly good as the SE's.

Recently bought a pair of Troubadours in birch ply.
Change of circumstances meant that needed smaller and more discreet floorstanders. They have replaced Usher Mini Dancer One's (for sale in classifieds) in an all Naim system.
Been a fan of the Minstrel SE's and the new Royds certainly live up to Royd speakers' reputation of being boogie boxes. The Troubadour is a sort of modern twist on the original design.
They don't go as loud or as deep as the Ushers but are just as communicative and get to the real heart of the music.
I understand that the cross-over has been tweaked on the latest version and Adam was careful to ensure I received the latest version and the whole transaction was perfect. He is a true gent and the project is obviously a real passion for him.
I wish him all the best. He really does deserve to succeed.

So glad you like them and I'm pleased you managed to get them home safely. Keep me posted on your thoughts as you come to use them and I'd be interested in learning about the sources you favour and the music you play.

@droom3: Could I ask about your experience with your Troubadors? I've been looking at these again recently, now the house move dust has settled, and I'm wondering whether they would suit. Currently have a Naim NAP 100 feeding Dali Mentor Menuets and for some reason they seem to 'shout' slightly in the new living room - brighter than I remember them. The room is 3.5m x 4.7m, carpeted and with a couple of sofas and a reclining chair, so not exactly underfurnished! I'm looking for speaker that will be OK fairly close to the end wall, firing down the room.

How do you find the ribbon tweeter? I'm really looking for a 'sweeter' top end - I seem to find any harshness here really irritating (that may be my older ears, of course!). I'm less worried by absolute amount of bass, provided it's tuneful and articulate. I imagine my little Naim would be OK to drive them.

Out of curiousity, are there three or four adjustable feet?

advertisement

Back