advertisement

Naim cds2 err message after laser replacement...next steps?

jgouras

I had a non-functioning cds2 and replaced the laser assembly. I am now getting intermittent reply although mostly just the dreaded "err". Wondering what possible next steps would be?

I had the same problem on a CD3. Changed the whole mechanical part 2 or 3 times, to no avail. Then my technician tried replacing a long black thing with lots of soldered legs down each side, and everything went back to normal. I think it was the component that actually controls everything. It may have been defective in itself, or a defective solder joint, I'll never know. I think we cannibalised it from an old Grundig or Nordmende CDP. Someone more technical will know exactly what it was.

There are alot of laser units around which dont meet the manufacturers original specs, where did the mech come from?

i purchased it from in tune audio. seems to keep spinning with a random click noise even when i hit the stop button, but will advance tracks and play maybe 10% of the time.

I would try another laser before messing about with the player.
You can get an original philips made 1204(I think) and pinch the laser mech out of it to fit your 1205.

I am pleased You got it fixed.

I had the same problem with a cds 3, I tried lots of different lasers mechs, none worked properly.

I then found a good source of them and now have 5 that work perfectly.

From what I understand, in many instances of failure it is the $0.10 driver chip that has failed, and the transport mechanism is still functioning.

I had the same problem on a CD3. Changed the whole mechanical part 2 or 3 times, to no avail. Then my technician tried replacing a long black thing with lots of soldered legs down each side, and everything went back to normal. I think it was the component that actually controls everything. It may have been defective in itself, or a defective solder joint, I'll never know. I think we cannibalised it from an old Grundig or Nordmende CDP. Someone more technical will know exactly what it was.

My CDS2 behaves similarly. Which chip is meant here? Anyone have a photo? Is it something one could order as a replacement part?

I am pleased You got it fixed.

I had the same problem with a cds 3, I tried lots of different lasers mechs, none worked properly.

I then found a good source of them and now have 5 that work perfectly.

Please could you name this good source?

Regards
Matt

My CDS2 behaves similarly. Which chip is meant here? Anyone have a photo? Is it something one could order as a replacement part?

Here is a snip from an e-mail I got from one of Naim's ex-service guys detailing the chips that may be the source of erratic transport behaviour.

The known fault related parts that will cause a transport to behave erratically
are

TDA7073AT dual driver chips. qty 2
LM342N quad op-amp. qty1

can be sourced for few pennies. from digikey mouser newark. etc..

A little research shows....
The TDA7073A/AT are dual power driver circuits in a BTL configuration, intended for use as a power driver for servo systems with a single supply. They are specially designed for compact disc players and are capable of driving focus, tracking, sled functions and spindle motors.

As I said earlier I would not condemn the player its self until a laser mech problem has been ruled out.

As far as I know decent quality 1204 units are still out there and you can simply unclip the laser mech and fit it to the 1205 mech.

I have a huge box full of faulty 12.4 lasers and CDM12 sleds. It'd be good to know where to get the good ones from again.

I've rebuilt many cd3.5 with new TDA7073 and LM324 but always found the lasers to be at fault.

By the way, the CDM12.4 laser is the only part that's interchangeable - the sled motor runs at a different voltage than the 1205.

Hello, I am a newbie. I have a CD3.5 which has the ERR display when attempting to play a track. I have removed the lid and removed the disc drive from the player and removed the disc drive pcb and plugged the drive back into the motherboard and pressed play. The laser shows its red light and tries to focus but no disc is present. I have a new puck but all the disc manages to do is rotate about 130 degrees then stops and shows the ERR display. With the laser light present, I am temped to think it is OK, but is it? I would appreciate some recommendations as to its fault origins. Also, am I missing something like perhaps a micro switch being open because I have removed the disc drive housing from the player?

Here is a snip from an e-mail I got from one of Naim's ex-service guys detailing the chips that may be the source of erratic transport behaviour.

The known fault related parts that will cause a transport to behave erratically
are

TDA7073AT dual driver chips. qty 2
LM342N quad op-amp. qty1

can be sourced for few pennies. from digikey mouser newark. etc..

A little research shows....
The TDA7073A/AT are dual power driver circuits in a BTL configuration, intended for use as a power driver for servo systems with a single supply. They are specially designed for compact disc players and are capable of driving focus, tracking, sled functions and spindle motors.
Just wanted to say a big thank you, just went through the learning process of surface mount soldering and I have a working Cds2 after a year of mustering up the courage to give it a go, after Naim DE couldn't help. All a bit harsh after a couple of years in a box, but already starting to get its mojo back. It is a different beast from the CDX which was the stop gap. Thank you again!

By the way, the CDM12.4 laser is the only part that's interchangeable - the sled motor runs at a different voltage than the 1205.

But we can use the laser from a 1254, desolder it from the flex-PCB and put it into a 1202/1210/1250 and thus save our CDS3 etc. players, right?

So, what's the good source for 1204/1205 lasers? Liberty Electronics from FL usually have working Chinese lasers. Somewhat the same Chinese lasers I buy from Allieexpress for 1/3rd of Liberty's price never seems to work damn it:)
I have CDS3 with reportedly problematic laser. Can't check it out because I can't afford XPS at the moment. It has 1202 laser judging by the puck #5 which I scavenged to use with my CDX .

Donberg has worked for me, but I last tried one of theirs over 12 months ago now (7 out of 8 were good, one failed after a short time)…at some point they’ll start selling unreliable ones too I guess…I still have 3 Donberg items in stock, and about 10 12.x mechs awaiting strip/clean :D

advertisement

Back