advertisement

Freemasons - What Do You Know About Them?

Fair enough your probably right I'm not a mason so wouldn't know the grip anyway just that the ones I get are not normal handshakes, I hate them being honest.

My wife's father was a mason and her mother was in the ES and they were two of the nicest people I've ever met in my life, they treated me as a son and never ever anything else.

I had no idea they were what they were until he died, his wife predeceased him, and we found his ring and some other stuff along with the MIL's stuff.

My wife had no idea either btw, they were just genuinely nice people who would have done anything for you, well me.

That's nice to hear, thanks for sharing!

Apart from the weird initiation, symbolism and beliefs the organisation is not a welcoming place for Catholics, women or African Americans (in the States).

Some of my thoughts too. It is obvious rollocks that there is any sense of fairness going on here.

At the end of the day it's a hobby, but one with a serious moral message that teaches us to respect everyone.

A serious moral message and respect! Have women got equal standing in your lodge? As in exactly the same membership, access to all meetings etc. My reply can await the answer.

Some of my thoughts too. It is obvious rollocks that there is any sense of fairness going on here.

A serious moral message and respect! Have women got equal standing in your lodge? As in exactly the same membership, access to all meetings etc. My reply can await the answer.

Women and men's Lodges are separate and distinct.
We have respect for each other.

Women and men's Lodges are separate and distinct.
We have respect for each other.

This is too easy. I wonder how not letting "them" join you shows respect? Is the moral message "We don't want women here"? As there are no full women members at your lodge how do you know you are all treated the same? Why not have a mixed lodge in 2017 to embrace this openness you talk about?

I know the main women's lodge in London is nothing like as grand as the mens (its near where I used to work). I wonder if this respect will allow women to have full meetings in the main mens "temples"?

Perhaps we have the golf club defence that women don't want to join your lodge, are they allowed to?

Apart from the weird initiation, symbolism and beliefs the organisation is not a welcoming place for Catholics, women or African Americans (in the States).

So to take your points one at a time.

What do you perceive of the initiation that is wierd! I found it deeply thought provoking about respect for all.

The symbolism is alogrical, reminds Masons of our respect for all.

Beliefs: they are Brotherly Love (treat everyone as your brother and with respect), Reflief (charity, but not just money- help people) and Truth (be honest and obey the laws of the land you reside in).

Freemasons accept all religions with a belief in a supreme being. It's as simple as that.

Women are Freemasons.

Google Prince Hall for the USA with regard to African Americans. Luckily the UK has always been tolerant Masonically speaking; Indeed going to a Lodge in Hull a bloke spotted me and a mate with our cases and asked if we were were Masons. We said yes and told him where we were going. He was from London and black. He invited us to his Lodge, I'm going.

This is too easy. I wonder how not letting "them" join you shows respect? Is the moral message "We don't want women here"? As there are no full women members at your lodge how do you know you are all treated the same? Why not have a mixed lodge in 2017 to embrace this openness you talk about?

I know the main women's lodge in London is nothing like as grand as the mens (its near where I used to work). I wonder if this respect will allow women to have full meetings in the main mens "temples"?

Perhaps we have the golf club defence that women don't want to join your lodge, are they allowed to?

Men and women Lodges are distinct but we get on, really we do.
I'm not aware aware of the women's grand Lodge in London, where is it?

Men and women Lodges are distinct but we get on, really we do.
I'm not aware aware of the women's grand Lodge in London, where is it?

Bayswater. One of the Pembridges- gardens or road.

I don't say you don't get on but you're not raising any problems with women not being accepted at your lodge, no mention of striving for equality. You have inequality but tell me you promote respect. You obviously can't see this is a problem as you've made no mention of dealing with it despite me giving you a shove in that direction.

Your distinct is someone else's segregated - I wouldn't go that far after all women will get the vote soon. Whoops wrong century........

Bayswater. One of the Pembridges- gardens or road.

I don't say you don't get on but you're not raising any problems with women not being accepted at your lodge, no mention of striving for equality. You have inequality but tell me you promote respect. You obviously can't see this is a problem as you've made no mention of dealing with it despite me giving you a shove in that direction.

Your distinct is someone else's segregated - I wouldn't go that far after all women will get the vote soon. Whoops wrong century........

We have women and men Lodges, not sure how you want me to answer?
What's your opinion on the WI?

An important point.
Freemasonry is not a religion.

But you've got to have a faith to join. So you all believe one myth or another. Not a religion but every single member has faith. Not a religion but you have temples. Then again your charitable donations, excellent as they are, didn't convince a judge they were philanthropic enough to get your VAT back. I don't know enough about the case to comment too much and wouldn't mind a decision either way. However the judge ruled against you so perhaps there aren't enough religious ideals in place?

Though it seems to demand one from its members, which strikes me as rather odd to put it mildly! Are there any reasons given for this requirement?

Yes, you do need to believe in a supreme being.
It does not operate as a religion though, there is no Credo or clergymen.
As to why it is so......that's a good question. It's probably rooted in its history of 300+ years when at the time 99% of the population professed to a religion.

We have women and men Lodges, not sure how you want me to answer?
What's your opinion on the WI?

You've answered by not answering. You say respect. You do inequality. And don't want to fix that. Noted.

As for the WI,

While WI membership is only open to women, men are welcome to attend courses at our residential adult education centre, Denman College, and take part in many activities, events and campaigns both locally and nationally.The Women's Institute is an educational charity with a constitution that states membership is only open to women. Under UK law charitable organisations whose constitution stipulates single sex membership are entitled to restrict access to the opposite sex.

Which I didn't know before I had a pop at your failed charitable bid.

https://www.thewi.org.uk/faqs/why-are-men-not-allowed-to-join-the-wi

But you've got to have a faith to join. So you all believe one myth or another. Not a religion but every single member has faith. Not a religion but you have temples. Then again your charitable donations, excellent as they are, didn't convince a judge they were philanthropic enough to get your VAT back. I don't know enough about the case to comment too much and wouldn't mind a decision either way. However the judge ruled against you so perhaps there aren't enough religious ideals in place?

Yes you need to believe in a God.
Have a look here for the charitable side.
https://mcf.org.uk

Yes, you do need to believe in a supreme being.
It does not operate as a religion though, there is no Credo or clergymen.
As to why it is so......that's a good question. It's probably rooted in its history of 300+ years when at the time 99% of the population professed to a religion.

I could probably manage to believe in vastly superior being(s). Would that be enough?

advertisement

Back