advertisement

Tannoy Legacy.

I am off to have a listen to the range tonight as a local PA hire company is starting to sell them. Should be nice to compare the new Cheviots to my old ones.

I am off to have a listen to the range tonight as a local PA hire company is starting to sell them. Should be nice to compare the new Cheviots to my old ones.

Please report back, be interested to hear what you thought of them.

Of course that wouldn't be sanded down at the finishing stage would it? :rolleyes:

His comment is more about the editorial choice to leave that shot in, rather than a criticism of the manufacturing process. He's right: what you see looks shoddy even if it's actually 100% legit.

I think the Arden price is fair enough in todays market.

If you owned them for 15 years, works out at £35.50 a month . . .

The Arden actually looks the bargain there to my eyes! The Eaton seems very expensive for what was initially not an expensive speaker. I'd be very interested to see how they compare sonically to originals and also earlier designs such as Reds, Silvers etc.

That's what I was thinking too. I think the problem is all three are fairly modest / rudimentary in terms of aesthetics which makes it difficult to see where the value is in them. The big 15 incher does have a bit more visual impact IMO. On the other hand I'm sure they sound great and if auditioned blindfolded you probably would pin a fairly high price tag on them.

The one thing I don’t like is the 3 piece speaker covers, I’d much rather just one covering the whole speaker in black with a nice Tannoy badge.

Nu? How did they sound.?

@cooky--agree to disagree. Picture edit for something of a glorified commercial should ultimately portray Braun and style. That one shot the other bloke was referring to doesn't help the feel of the vid. That's just one opinion.

Nu? How did they sound.?

@cooky--agree to disagree. Picture edit for something of a glorified commercial should ultimately portray Braun and style. That one shot the other bloke was referring to doesn't help the feel of the vid. That's just one opinion.

I was an advertising creative for 30 years, it doesn't trouble me and certainly doesn't portray anything shoddy, its a raw piece of timber going through a saw.

Don't be silly. What kind of a chimp thinks you just stick sawn timber together without any prep?

Someone paying £6k for them? The point was whether leaving that shot in the film was the right editorial choice, given the perceptions of the audience for the end product. Obviously went straight over your head. While we're at it, I don't like some of the glue/resin shots either, and the reason I'm bothered is that I love Tannoy as a company and feel keenly that it should survive as a company and do well against increasingly stiff international competition.

This film was made quite casually, from what I can see - and this affects perceived value. Doesn't matter though, as I guess I'm not the specific target audience (who are also knowledgeable of Tannoy's history and provenance, and are as just as likely to buy some esoteric vintage or rare drivers and make their own enclosure as they are to buy from this range, I'm guessing).

I was an advertising creative for 30 years, it doesn't trouble me and certainly doesn't portray anything shoddy, its a raw piece of timber going through a saw.

Disagree. If it's that meaningless, why bother having the shot in there, then? That's at odds with the slow-mo visuals and the suggestion that the product is made with care and is of a certain quality.

Someone paying £6k for them? The point was whether leaving that shot in the film was the right editorial choice, given the perceptions of the audience for the end product. Obviously went straight over your head. While we're at it, I don't like some of the glue/resin shots either, and the reason I'm bothered is that I love Tannoy as a company and feel keenly that it should survive as a company and do well against increasingly stiff international competition.

Basically you have an issue with vérité and the manufacturing process. I don't.I like the honesty.
You don't like some of the glue/resin shots, tough, again it's how they and most speakers are made.
The bead of contact glue run on the speaker surround is for the speaker trim ring, the dabs of Loctite/epoxy on the magnet top plate spread out once the magnet assembly is bolted onto the chassis frame-your keen eyes should notice the spigots on the top plate to locate the basket with very high precision. I recommend an afternoon watching Discovery channel-How it's made.
Did you notice the torn glove in the pulled focus soldering shot?
It's a no budget little YouTube info film-media spend zero.

Ha ha, exactly what I'd been thinking, crazy old men arguing the toss about 'shit.

So, back to the actual speakers....I'd love to hear them. I have a pair of original Eatons here and it would be fab to compare them with the new ones. I do agree that the new Eatons in particular seem a bit pricey in comparison to their larger brothers.

advertisement

Back