advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes good idea to take a break maybe the moaners should as well ,if you haven't got how John works by now you never will.
+1
Moaning or misunderstood advise/desire to project manage is not speeding up the process. The only thing this accomplish unnecessary distraction and grief.

I enjoy following the progress of the project and have a long time ago realised that there is only one way this works and that is John way take it or leave it.

Off cause I am also tired of waiting, but constant moaning is not going to make it happen any faster.

I think we have seen a lot of positive progress lately and when the P&P machine arrive we can see the light of the end of the tunnel.

Delivery of the P&P is an important milestone, but it takes the time it takes.

John has my full support!

I put a sum of money, each month, into my 'luxuries' fund, and from that I buy my toys, usually hifi, sometimes cameras/lenses. Thanks to JohnW I have a modified MDAC, and I cannot find anything else (that I can afford) that would work any better as the hub of my system. I'm excited by the MDAC2, and will get very excited by the FDAC, as I see it as the final "solution" to my hifi needs, and every month I have to wait, there is a bit more in the pot to pay for it all. I'm also waiting for my VFETs. I'm hoping that the Detox will be along soon as my USB hub and isolator that I have between my squeezebox and my DAC are getting a bit unreliable, but I can live with the delays. Any other product we buy is announced when it is available, and maybe, in some cases when its not really finished (I had three different versions of circuit board in my subwoofer, in less than a year, and the mk2 actually blew up!). John takes a different approach. He shares everything, listens to needs, responds to what we ask for, and constantly strives for perfection. Sometimes this can seem like a change of course, and I for one, don't really want a full width case DAC, as I have a half width rack, but I have enough in my luxuries fund for a new rack now, so there are no worries here.

I'd have thought that the new ISO Regen was the main competitor.

IFiAudio have announced the iGalvanic3.0 which they claim offers galvanic isolation, USB regeneration and clean power. It works at all speeds so hi res stuff should be no problem and is USB3.0 and USB2.0 compliant. Last time I looked the DETOX wouldn't do hi res and isn't USB3.0 so the ifiaudio thing looks like a more than serious competitor.

My new'ish (to me) MDAC has developed the dreaded caps bulge, at least on the power supply board (http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=202863). I'm hoping it won't be terminal in the short term and have contacted AIG to see if they can supply a replacement (without much hope).

I've been half-following this thread out of a mixture of interest since I have an MDAC, respect for JohnW for doing it and horror at some of the comments!

I can't however, work out what (if any) my options are for getting MDAC2 to fix/replace my ailing MDAC. Is one option being sent updated boards to fit in my case, or will I need to send my case in for updating? I did look at the Wiki and saw a rough cost of around £500-550, but can't now find that page - is the offer closed?

Any thoughts and help gratefully received - I have a modest system and the MDAC is my lifetime DAC. For those waiting for their own MDAC2, don't panic - I won't be asking John to re-cap my MDAC - that would be grossly unfair!

IFiAudio have announced the iGalvanic3.0 which they claim offers galvanic isolation, USB regeneration and clean power. It works at all speeds so hi res stuff should be no problem and is USB3.0 and USB2.0 compliant. Last time I looked the DETOX wouldn't do hi res and isn't USB3.0 so the ifiaudio thing looks like a more than serious competitor.

What bit rate does the Detox do then, I thought it would do anything? Thanks.

A few words in support of JohnW.

I consider JohnW to be an exceptionally honest and decent person.

And if you look at this side ...
Not an investor, so I can make mistakes in numbers.
IMHO:

The investor, having invested 500 £, after a few years of waiting receives the equivalent of 5,000 £.
Sorry, but this profit is 1000%, not taxable.
I think this is a generous compensation for the patience of investors.

If JohnW fulfilled his original obligations, the investor would receive the equivalent of 30 - 100% of the same profit.

How often did you participate in the project with a profitability of about 1000%?

He has now the final stage of the project, unfortunately for everyone, very long, the most difficult psychologically and materially. I wish him to remain optimistic and I hope that he will not be hindered by "green" neighbors, worn out electrical wiring or something like that.

Best Regards

IMHO:

The investor, having invested 500 £, after a few years of waiting receives the equivalent of 5,000 £.

If JohnW fulfilled his original obligations, the investor would receive the equivalent of 30 - 100% of the same profit.

How often did you participate in the project with a profitability of about 1000%?

He has now the final stage of the project, unfortunately for everyone, very long, the most difficult psychologically and materially. I wish him to remain optimistic and I hope that he will not be hindered by "green" neighbors, worn out electrical wiring or something like that.

Best Regards
+1 !

500£ is the development fee, you still have to pay for the fdac at cost...

IMHO:

Best Regards

My new'ish (to me) MDAC has developed the dreaded caps bulge, at least on the power supply board (http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=202863). I'm hoping it won't be terminal in the short term and have contacted AIG to see if they can supply a replacement (without much hope).

I've been half-following this thread out of a mixture of interest since I have an MDAC, respect for JohnW for doing it and horror at some of the comments!

I can't however, work out what (if any) my options are for getting MDAC2 to fix/replace my ailing MDAC. Is one option being sent updated boards to fit in my case, or will I need to send my case in for updating? I did look at the Wiki and saw a rough cost of around £500-550, but can't now find that page - is the offer closed?

Any thoughts and help gratefully received - I have a modest system and the MDAC is my lifetime DAC. For those waiting for their own MDAC2, don't panic - I won't be asking John to re-cap my MDAC - that would be grossly unfair!

If it's is within the waranty period then IAG have an obligation to repair / replace at thier cost. You will of course need to prove when it was bought.

If it is out of waranty then IAG can repair it at your cost. They charge £48 fixed labour cost + parts + UK postage, and can repair to component level (meaning they will replace the caps and not replace the PCB). If it's just changing the caps it should not be that expensive. Thier turnaround is about 3-4 weeks. You can contact thier technical service on 0845 4581122.

If it's is within the waranty period then IAG have an obligation to repair / replace at thier cost. You will of course need to prove when it was bought.

If it is out of waranty then IAG can repair it at your cost. They charge £48 fixed labour cost + parts + UK postage, and can repair to component level (meaning they will replace the caps and not replace the PCB). If it's just changing the caps it should not be that expensive. Thier turnaround is about 3-4 weeks. You can contact thier technical service on 0845 4581122.

Thanks Stephen. I reckon I could DIY the caps, but it's not a first-effort project, especially as it's on the mains supply! The guys in the DIY room are being very helpful too (as is everyone on pfm in my experience), but it's good to know I can go to AIG for repair.

Please don't misrepresent expressions of dissatisfaction with some aspects as being either a lack of support nor trying to hurry things up.

Thanks Stephen. I reckon I could DIY the caps, but it's not a first-effort project, especially as it's on the mains supply! The guys in the DIY room are being very helpful too (as is everyone on pfm in my experience), but it's good to know I can go to AIG for repair.

The external AC adapter reduces the MDAC's input voltage to around 13.6 volts AC. There are no “mains’ voltages inside the MDAC case.

Bear in mind it’s a multilayered PCB with a very high component density, and if you damage the through hole connections whilst trying to remove the old caps then the PCB can be ruined.

I would avoid tackling it unless you are competent in modern electronics repair and have experience of replacing components on these types of PCBs.

IAG’s repair costs are very reasonable and any repair is guaranteed.

That's sound advice. Many thanks indeed - I'll start looking for a temporary replacement while hoping something crops up in the DIY room.

I wonder have they have achieved galvanic isolation for USB 3 data rates.

Galvanic isolation means two totally isolated electrical domains, and is usually done optically or inductively.

To do that at USB 3 data rates you would probably have to use a fibre optic link, as USB opto-isolator and inductive isolator components are only USB 1.1 compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back