advertisement

Olympus EM1?

The results show what I expect, the ability to take rolling buffer of pictures before you press the shutter looses its usefulness a bit in that most things you want to photograph in this mode are moving, if they are moving fast you will suffer the ES effects as shown by Joel, that said to capturing your child winning the school race should be within the cameras capability!!
Rolling shutter effects are highly dependent on the direction and speed of movement. In most circumstances there really isn't any distortion or it's not noticeable. For sports day, at the playground, or wild life the electronic shutter is fine.

Rolling shutter effects are highly dependent on the direction and speed of movement. In most circumstances there really isn't any distortion or it's not noticeable. For sports day, at the playground, or wild life the electronic shutter is fine.

Agreed, and or course you can change camera orientation to work in your favour as well!

I will be interested in your views on the camera/lens combination.

I went from an Olympus EM5 Mk2 to Fuji (X-Pro2) and found things to like and dislike about both systems.

Same here: E-M5 to X-T1 to E-M5 II to X-T2 and finally back again to X-T1.
The Olympus feels better in my hand and the AF felt more determined, but the high ISO performance, the EVF, the control dials, the Auto-ISO, the menus and the overall shooting experience is much better with the Fujifilm.

Olympus' menus are absurd.

It is a matter of getting used to them, I note that you have not tried the EM1 OMD Mkii.
It has a very good high ISO rep.

Same here: E-M5 to X-T1 to E-M5 II to X-T2 and finally back again to X-T1.
The Olympus feels better in my hand and the AF felt more determined, but the high ISO performance, the EVF, the control dials, the Auto-ISO, the menus and the overall shooting experience is much better with the Fujifilm.

Olympus' menus are absurd.

I am still on the fence with the Fuji. The image quality is sublime, lenses sharp and the styling of the XPro2 (to my eyes) a work of art.

For some reason it still doesn't grab me and make me want to go out and take photographs.

With regards to the Olympus I tried to get used to the menu system but couldn't. That and the high ISO performance frustrated me enough to make me want to move on.

I am sure that the EM1 Mk2 is a step in the right direction but to me it is significantly overpriced and, I suspect, overwhelming with the number of features (for me in any case).

I am still on the fence with the Fuji. The image quality is sublime, lenses sharp and the styling of the XPro2 (to my eyes) a work of art.

For some reason it still doesn't grab me and make me want to go out and take photographs.

With regards to the Olympus I tried to get used to the menu system but couldn't. That and the high ISO performance frustrated me enough to make me want to move on.

I am sure that the EM1 Mk2 is a step in the right direction but to me it is significantly overpriced and, I suspect, overwhelming with the number of features (for me in any case).
If you want a camera that just wants to make you go out and take photos then I suggest an X-T10 .
It's small and compact and one of those cameras you don't mind carrying around everywhere .
I mage quality is sublime and even the 16-50 kit lens delivers great results .

If you want a camera that just wants to make you go out and take photos then I suggest an X-T10 .
It's small and compact and one of those cameras you don't mind carrying around everywhere .
I mage quality is sublime and even the 16-50 kit lens delivers great results .

Thanks for the suggestion. I think one of the issues I have is I bought the camera with the 16/55 2.8 which is big a d heavy (albeit with superlative image quality).

I am tempted to get something smaller like the 35 or 23 f2 and see how I get on with less bulk.

If still no joy I will look at the XT10.

advertisement

Back