advertisement

Fuji x100 --- whats next?

andyoz

pfm Member
OK, I'm not a mad camera gear head.

I snapped up a second hand 1st gen Fuji x100 about 4 years ago and have been amazed what it can put out with a bit of RAW processing.

Feeling like a move up the food chain. I'm tempted to go the latest generation of the x100 as I do like the limitation of fixed lenses TBH.

However, am I limiting myself here and should I be looking at one of Fuji's other offerings. I haven't kept up with all their releases....what the X-Pro 2 all about? I'm thinking one with changeable fixed lenses maybe?

It's mainly used for portraits and the odd landscape thing...also doing alot of live band photos under stage lighting conditions so high ISO performance is important.

Ok, a bit more reading suggests it down to the X-Pro2 and XT-2 then until the 24meg X100 comes along..

Mr P beat me to it. If you like the X100, the F is the logical choice. I've recently got a T and I love it :)

I also own an X-T2 and love that too. However, it's a totally different camera. You could use a X-T2 or Pro2 with fixed lenses, but if you like the form factor of the X100, I'd more inclined to look at the TCL and WCL screw on converters for the X100 to give yo extra flexibility. These gice you the equivalent of 50mm and 24mm respectively.

Lefty

I started with the original X100, and then moved on to an X-E1 and a couple of primes when I sold all my Canon gear. The X-E1/2 with the 27mm lens is slightly smaller than the X100 which makes it easier to carry in a coat pocket.

The X100F also has a 2 additional position digital zoom, which whilst only giving you a JPEG works very well. So with the WCL and TCL you would actually have 8 different focal lengths

All Focal lengths FF equivalent
Std: 35mm, 50mm and 70mm
WCL: 28mm, 47mm and 56mm
TCL 50mm, 83mm and 100mm

Jem has a valid point but IMO an X-E?+27mm is not an X100! Very true if you like the Hybrid Viewfinder.

OK, so it will be hard for me to go away from the X100. I hadn't seen the x100F. What a classic the x100 has proved to be. I think I got my mind x100 with case and spare battery for under 400 quid...this next upgrade won't be as cheap but it looks like it really needs to be the x100F and not the T

OK, so it will be hard for me to go away from the X100. I hadn't seen the x100F. What a classic the x100 has proved to be. I think I got my mind x100 with case and spare battery for under 400 quid...this next upgrade won't be as cheap but it looks like it really needs to be the x100F and not the T

If I were you, i'd stick with the X100 - what's wrong with it? I think you are just itching to spend some money, so hold off for a bit...

I love older cameras, as the price/performance especially when second hand is so good. I run all sorts of 'obsolete' cameras. Saying that, I did pick up my Fuji X-Pro1 new, but it was when it was clearly being readied for replacement so was 'cheap' which it clearly wasn't, but it felt like a bargain at the time ;-)

I tend to agree with Cesare - if you like the X100 and it's delivering what you need, then it'd be worth holding off for a while. I recently borrowed a friend's orginal X100 to use alongside my X100T (it was for a wedding shoot) and whilst I'll freely admit the T is quicker, snappier, and with a much better EVF, I really liked using the original. So much in fact that for static subjects I'd take the old one over the 100T. I also prefer the Bayer sensor's colours - reds especially.

These are some early images but getting better the more I play with this RAW stuff.

guestaccess.aspx

guestaccess.aspx

guestaccess.aspx

As an X100s owner I borrowed an Xpro2 with a view to accessing more focal lengths etc. and, whilst I really liked it, I couldn't quite gel with it in the same way as the x100s. I have come to the slightly annoying conclusion that if you have an X100 (of whichever version) you already have the best camera... You can gain a few features by getting a newer model if that appeals but not necessary at all. If you read many of the x photographer blogs, most of them say the same thing - They really like all the Fuji cameras but the camera they all LOVE is the x100/S/T/F

I mostly use mine for general travel stuff, though, so portability is the biggest factor for me. For Andyoz requirements, though, not sure how much DOF you can get with the TCL? Fuji do some VERY nice fast portrait lenses that might serve you well for portraits and low light gigs - especially if you want deep DOF. It might be worth looking at an XT2 or Xpro2 for access to those. Both very nice cameras. The x100 cameras are something special though...

The X100F also has a 2 additional position digital zoom, which whilst only giving you a JPEG works very well. So with the WCL and TCL you would actually have 8 different focal lengths

All Focal lengths FF equivalent
Std: 35mm, 50mm and 70mm
WCL: 28mm, 47mm and 56mm
TCL 50mm, 83mm and 100mm

Jem has a valid point but IMO an X-E?+27mm is not an X100! Very true if you like the Hybrid Viewfinder.

How much depth of field can you get from the TCL? Do you think using the digital zoom is better than cropping? (resolution aside)

As an X100s owner I borrowed an Xpro2 with a view to accessing more focal lengths etc. and, whilst I really liked it, I couldn't quite gel with it in the same way as the x100s. I have come to the slightly annoying conclusion that if you have an X100 (of whichever version) you already have the best camera... You can gain a few features by getting a newer model if that appeals but not necessary at all. If you read many of the x photographer blogs, most of them say the same thing - They really like all the Fuji cameras but the camera they all LOVE is the x100/S/T/F

This is very true.

I recently owned an X-Pro2 - a stunningly capable camera. The results which owners (both enthusiast and pro) have achieved with it cannot be argued with in terms of quality.

However...

Unlike the Pro1 before (with all its quirks and tantrums) I never clicked with the 2 and just cannot put my finger on why, in fact it bothered me for some time that I just wasn't using it and had no real desire to. Very shortly after I sold my lovely 100T, I regretted that decision so recently got hold of a tidy, used 100S. The X100* just makes me want to take pictures.

Have also been weighing up the pros and cons of going for broke and trying the 100F but whilst I just know it'll be superb, I'm just happy to have an X100 back in the house with the S.

Well i've stuck with my Pro1 for I think the same reasons - it's a nice camera, there are better, but I kind of know how it works and what it does and doesn't do. I should really get a slightly wider prime for it, as i've got 18 and 35, and something between is probably what I should go for, which then basically makes it an X100 - funny old world.

How much depth of field can you get from the TCL? Do you think using the digital zoom is better than cropping? (resolution aside)

The WCL and TCl are conversion lenses, and very good ones at that, they have no aperture blades, they just use the aperture setting of the fixed lens, so both are capable of F2.

The usual rules regarding DOF apply, don't forget to take target distance into account.

IME the X100 series cameras are a little soft especially towards the edges of the images at F2, but that can add to the charm.

This is a shot with the WCL at F2 (I've never owned a TCL)

If you do get an X100F there's a mod you can do to the TCL/WCL using small magnets to make sure they work correctly - the F has a sensor in the lens that switches automatically between the TCL and WCL if fitted. The new T/WCL's have a magnet inbuilt - the polarity lets the camera know which is which. Old ones don't but it's an easy fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used many iterations of X-series cameras over the years .
The new X-100 is great but it has to suit your style of shooting .
I like the feel and ergonomics of the X-T series as well as the viewfinder .
My spare body is an X-T 1 with their brilliant 35 f2 strapped on to it permanently .

advertisement

Back