advertisement

Standmounts for use with Linn LK140 amplifier

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I'm looking for some reasonably position agnostic small standmounts for £300-£500 S/H to go on the end of an Exotik/LK140 pre/power combo that will give me a bit of that neutral Harbeth/Spendor SP sound.

They will be about 4-5" from a wall either side of a window.

Any suggestions?

Kef LS50?
Some variation of the Spendor S3?
ATC SCM11s?
Something else?

cheers

Linn Katans, you'll get some easily in your budget. They're excellent speakers and will work brilliantly on your linn setup. With a second linn power amp you can go active (by fitting crossover cards inside the power amps), the result is stunning.im not sure exactly what the Harbeth/Spendor SP sound is but I do know that Katans are excellent with Linn amps. The Harbeths I'm familiar with are Monitor 40s, you're never going to get that sound for £500.:D

Good shout for the Katans. I found them sensitive to toe in, do try them straight ahead and toed-in. I know which I prefer, I am giving the advice to make sure you try the options.

Good shout for the Katans. I found them sensitive to toe in, do try them straight ahead and toed-in. I know which I prefer, I am giving the advice to make sure you try the options.

I tend to find both Katans and Ninkas sound better toed in a little, the degree depending on the room and listening position.

I'm guessing the Katans would work well with Majik?

Indeed. They work well outside of a linn system too. They're easy to drive but continue to deliver the goods with surprisingly high end kit, I've heard them sounding good on anything from a Classik to Klimax level gear. The Katan and Ninka are the best value for money and best all round performers Linn have made IMHO.

Linn Katans, you'll get some easily in your budget. They're excellent speakers and will work brilliantly on your linn setup. With a second linn power amp you can go active (by fitting crossover cards inside the power amps), the result is stunning.im not sure exactly what the Harbeth/Spendor SP sound is but I do know that Katans are excellent with Linn amps. The Harbeths I'm familiar with are Monitor 40s, you're never going to get that sound for £500.:D
I'll give some a go. I like the sound of the active option, too. I could pop the amps in the cellar under the speakers. Which cards will I need?

I've owned Spendor SP2s and Harbeth P3esrs and that was the sort of sound I think I'm seeking.

You'll need katan or tukan stereo cards. It would make more sense to sell the LK140 and buy a 5125 if you go down the active route, less boxes and better performance and cheaper than two LK140s too... oh and it will match your Exotik aesthetically. As for how Katans sound, wide open, detailed, dynamic and engaging. More refined than Kans in my experience. They're a lot of fun.

FWIW I prefer tukans to katans.

Each to their own, I do like tukans, just as I like keilidhs, I've owned both in the past but I did find Katans and ninkas a fair step up and still have both here. You don't see so many tukans for sale but they do sell easily when they come up so it wouldn't hurt to try both.

Whilst I'm a Katan fan too - they're fantastic, I'm pretty sure they're not going to work well so close to a wall - they have a rear firing port and it needs room to breathe.

The Majik 109 is more likely to be better suited to such proximity to a wall - they're front ported. Should just about be available at the top end of the budget.

Whilst I'm a Katan fan too - they're fantastic, I'm pretty sure they're not going to work well so close to a wall - they have a rear firing port and it needs room to breathe.

The Majik 109 is more likely to be better suited to such proximity to a wall - they're front ported. Should just about be available at the top end of the budget.

They work well surprisingly well, don't forget that Linn even designed a bracket (or brakit) for wall mounting them, my dealer used them on brakits in his own setup with a KK and 2250 for a few years. 10-15cm away is fine. I've not really had any experience with 109s other than hearing them playing in the background at my local Linn dealer.

They work well surprisingly well, don't forget that Linn even designed a bracket (or brakit) for wall mounting them, my dealer used them on brakits in his own setup with a KK and 2250 for a few years. 10-15cm away is fine. I've not really had any experience with 109s other than hearing them playing in the background at my local Linn dealer.
Ah, given that, I'm now sorely tempted to take a punt on a pair with Brakits and if we have fun, move up to a 5125 and some cards and go active.

After working through Royd Edens (lovely but very bass light), Royd Sintras (bass light and abrasively bright), Royd Sintra II's (Better Bass, tamed treble but a bit harsh) and Royd Sorcerors (almost perfect, but still too bright), I have have finally installed a single wired pair of Linn Katans.

Obviously the right choice all along, and far better in this system than any of the Royds. Now to go active with a 5125 and replace the Exotik with a Digital Linn pre that'll take the Exotik Phono card. I think I have the Linn bug.

After working through Royd Edens (lovely but very bass light), Royd Sintras (bass light and abrasively bright), Royd Sintra II's (Better Bass, tamed treble but a bit harsh) and Royd Sorcerors (almost perfect, but still too bright), I have have finally installed a single wired pair of Linn Katans.

Obviously the right choice all along, and far better in this system than any of the Royds. Now to go active with a 5125 and replace the Exotik with a Digital Linn pre that'll take the Exotik Phono card. I think I have the Linn bug.
If you really like the Linn sound, little else will satisfy. And some of the upgrades are highly cost effective, going active especially so. If you can afford to go up to an Akurate DSM, I think you'll be well sorted for years to come, and a 5125 or 4100 and active cards will really get those Katans singing.

If you really like the Linn sound, little else will satisfy. And some of the upgrades are highly cost effective, going active especially so. If you can afford to go up to an Akurate DSM, I think you'll be well sorted for years to come, and a 5125 or 4100 and active cards will really get those Katans singing.
I'm cheap. I'll upgrade the Exotik/D to an Exotik DA/D or early Akurate Kontrol/D and the LK140 to a 5125/D with active cards.

advertisement

Back