advertisement

Naim Nap 140 Avondale?

ebeneezer

Hi, I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of "Avonvale" Nap 140s and put them into my active credo system. I have no knowledge of Avonvale, I have looked on their website and cannot see a mention of Nap 140 upgrades. Have they ceased doing it, and why, Are these 140s worth considering.

Cheers Ebeneezer

Yes, well worth considering. Avondale are an excellent outfit & if you want to know exactly what's been altered in these amps I'm sure a call to Les at Avondale will give you all the information you need.

+1 from me.

Les is a splendid chap, a proper gent & knows what he is talking about. I had his upgrades when I was in the Naim mode. Made the system more enjoyable.

Happy listening.

Yes, well worth considering. Avondale are an excellent outfit & if you want to know exactly what's been altered in these amps I'm sure a call to Les at Avondale will give you all the information you need.

I would certainly give a listen before buying because after alteration they are no longer Naim, and do not sound like Naim. The key is in the above quote in that they've been altered. Many people say upgraded but I don't agree at all. They will sound different and it's in the eye of the beholder as to whether or not you prefer the sound.

+3 buy them!

They will be superb.

I have never been able to part with my Avondaled NAP 250s.

Vastly superior to the standard amps (which are very good by themselves!)

I would certainly give a listen before buying because after alteration they are no longer Naim, and do not sound like Naim. The key is in the above quote in that they've been altered. Many people say upgraded but I don't agree at all. They will sound different and it's in the eye of the beholder as to whether or not you prefer the sound.

I disagree. They retain the Naim sound but build on it and improve it hugely.

Les addresses the weaknesses in Naim's already very good kit. He doesn't ruin their signature.

Without being controversial and not knowing if you have any heard of Les's Avondaled Naim amps I would say to the OP that the Naim sound is retained, and much improved upon.

But if you haven't heard any Avondaled Naim amps that you should seek some out.

HydeLea, I would be very interested to know why you don't agree that they have been "upgraded"? Which specific aspects of the Les's work on the 140 do you not agree with? Just curious to know if you are speaking from a position of understanding or hearsay?

Hi, I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of "Avonvale" Nap 140s and put them into my active credo system. I have no knowledge of Avonvale, I have looked on their website and cannot see a mention of Nap 140 upgrades. Have they ceased doing it, and why, Are these 140s worth considering.

Cheers Ebeneezer

Is this the minicap 6 modification perhaps?

I'm very biased having a full system of Avondale gear.

To the OP, there is a difference between serviced and upgraded kit. Avondale do both and also supplies modules for DIY, so beware of what you're actually buying.

Apart from that I'd agree it builds on the Naim sound and makes it better.

I have Avondale monoblocks M130s in an Aktiv system which the Avondaled Naim 140s should sound similar too? Superb - loads of control and detail with a fair amount of punch and slam.

So what's the basic conditions to be called a sheep in this instance ?

I'd say the sheep are those who simply accept that Naim is the best it can be and cannot be improved without investigating further.

Avondale fans are a minority not a majority in comparison to "purest" Naimees so I'd suggest that they are very unlikely to exhibit the passive behaviour of sheep.

I'd say the sheep are those who simply accept that Naim is the best it can be and cannot be improved without investigating further.

It also takes quite a leap from

"They will sound different which you may or may not prefer"

to

"They will sound different which de facto can not be an improvement"

Avonndale sounds different, not better. It does not take a 140 to 135's, it makes a 140 with a different flavour which you may or may not like. The talk of Naim sheep is a little silly.

advertisement

Back