advertisement

SBL Gasket Dimensions

I am very pleased that my efforts resemble the originals so closely. With a bit of research and advice from others it's possible to save money and update an iconic pair of loudspeakers to give many more years of pleasure.
Good luck with the sale.

Is there much difference acoustically?
If so, what? I know my seals are broken yet they sound pretty good to me.
Even though they fail the two second test when press the tweeter in.
Did yours sound like they were missing anything before hand?

With the gaskets sorted and everything else ok I can say that the bass tightened up and got deeper and also more tuneful and that other instruments also got more detailed and there was more attack and "boogie"

Is there much difference acoustically?
If so, what? I know my seals are broken yet they sound pretty good to me.
Even though they fail the two second test when press the tweeter in.
Did yours sound like they were missing anything before hand?

My initial thought when I first set them up was "They sound awful! What have I done?" The bass was thin, the treble was too prominent.
Moving them back to 4 inches from the back wall improved things but the bass was unfocused and the image was not central, the sound was skewed to the right. The speakers were equidistant from each other, at 5 ft, but I couldn't get a clear stereo image. I started moving them apart and at almost 6ft everything started to sound as I expected: a clear central image for vocals, with instruments placed around the vocal. Carrying out the pad change/gasket reseal etc has confirmed how good the SBLs are when they are set up correctly. Treble, mid and bass tones are fully integrated. Beforehand I found myself changing music constantly, now I'm able to listen for hours without fatigue. If the full setup is not implemented, you will only get a fraction of their potential. If you need any help, post here or send me a PM.

Thanks for that Double Bubble, I will definitely look back to this post and possibly contact you for advice. Cheers mate

This thread looks like a great reference but the pictures posted by dubblebubble appear to have been removed. Can we get them back please?

That is a shame. I've deleted the thread from the reference area as it no longer serves any purpose, I'll re-copy it over if the pic links are fixed by db.

Not sure what has happened, as the photos are still on my Flickr stream. Will find out what has broken and update the links over the weekend...

Many thanks, please drop me a PM when the new links are in place and I'll recreate the reference room thread.

Hi,

With a bit of trepidation I'm planning to try the above procedure.

I've seen the links in post #8 on where to buy the neoprene sheets from eBay, but can someone who has performed the procedure advise which size & thickness of neoprene is best to buy?

There are conflicting opinions as to which thickness is best. Also, timH mentioned that an A4 sheet did two gaskets, but in post #2 it mentions that the outer size of a gasket is 17cm x 14cm so I wouldn't have thought that you'd be able to cut two of these shapes out of an A4 sheet unless I'm missing something??

Any advice appreciated :)

Hi,

With a bit of trepidation I'm planning to try the above procedure.

I've seen the links in post #8 on where to buy the neoprene sheets from eBay, but can someone who has performed the procedure advise which size & thickness of neoprene is best to buy?

There are conflicting opinions as to which thickness is best. Also, timH mentioned that an A4 sheet did two gaskets, but in post #2 it mentions that the outer size of a gasket is 17cm x 14cm so I wouldn't have thought that you'd be able to cut two of these shapes out of an A4 sheet unless I'm missing something??

Any advice appreciated :)

I've sent you an email but in case anybody else is going to give their SBLs a freshen up...

5mm neoprene and 0.3mm aluminium sheet for the gasket and pads. You'll only get one gasket from an A4 sheet. The sheets can be bought in different sizes. Buy a few, as it will probably take a few attempts to get clean cuts. Use a new blade for best results!

Let us know how you get on...

advertisement

Back