advertisement

Benz Ace Hana ES or Dynavector 20XL

I'm very happy with my Hana SL. My upgrade path to where I am now with my TD125 MK.II/Jelco 750D/Oyaide HS-TF headshell was Denon DL103R, Hana EL to Hana SL. I did toy with a ZYX R50 or R100, but I plumped for the Hana SL after getting great results with the Hana EL.

I can't comment on the Benz Ace or Dynavector carts, the Hana EL was superior in all aspects to the Denon DL103R it replaced (which wasn't a bad cart in its own right) and the Hana SL is yet another major improvement. Less noise, more detail, greater depth... you name it, the Hana SL appears to have it all. It was at the very limit of the funds I had available at that time, but at the time I bought mine (the price has gone up since) I'd be surprised if I could do any better at this price point - not without breaking the bank and possibly going for carts much closer to the +£1K range. ;)

Cheers
Pete

Those are the exact cartridges I'm looking at as my next upgrade, currently running an Exact2 on my RP-6. Don't think you can really go wrong with any of them, I'm currently leaning towards the Hana SL.

I was considering a Hana cartridge until i noticed that since a few people were starting to chat about them online etc the prices started to hike. having heard one at Nebo 7 last year i have to admit being a little underwhelmed. I settled on an AT33 PTG/II which i am much happier with. having recently heard the Benz ACE and Wood i can confirm that IMHO they are in a different league to the Hana cartridge sonically. As for the loading of cartridges i remain sceptical. I think it becomes a huge issue putting forms of loading into phono amps when for the majority the choice between MM and MC is more than enough to contend with.

advertisement

Back