advertisement

Hull City Of Culture 2017

May as well have a thread on the whole thing, but I started it to flag up the BBC 2 half hour program of the same name that has just finished as it had an interview with Throbbing Gristle's Cosey Fanni Tutti!

I've a friend from Hull who lives in Waterford now. He's always posting funny Yorkshire-related memes on Facebook, which I suppose are cultural, in a way.

Like these :)

16174724_1756618551326503_184608188783995541_n.jpg

15894861_643249509188883_9215343978979656047_n.jpg

15590419_634999510013883_2470434185830775404_n.jpg

Hull

What you need to know.

Some Civil war shenanigans (It is technically Kingston upon Hull)
Wilberforce, Slavery
Wool, Whaling and Hanseatic League
Fishing (past) - The Hull Trawler Gaul (X-Files meets James Bond)
Amy Johnson (missing)
Severely shagged by Luftwaffe (1939-1945)
"They **** you up your mum and dad.." (Technically a black country boy), also Andrew Motion and Roger McGough popped in to study/teach.
A spider from mars who helped Ziggy with his guitar
Blood, Sweat and Tears (which covers Godber, Hull Truck and Judo gold)
Hull 4 London 0 - and various spin offs
a fine young cannibal and a throbbing gristle
Everything but the girl
A large bridge which will be useful when someone builds something on the other side of it
Awful local dialect
Stretching it - David Hockney (more sort of East Yorkshire)
White phone boxes
Rugby League
Lots of car parking (Luftwaffe legacy)
Until very recently - practically zero ethnic diversity

And nothing else.

Hull

What you need to know.

Wilberforce, Slavery
Amy Johnson (missing)
"They **** you up your mum and dad.." (Technically a black country boy), also Andrew Motion and Roger McGough popped in to study/teach.
Everything but the girl
A large bridge which will be useful when someone builds something on the other side of it
Awful local dialect
White phone boxes
Rugby League

And nothing else.

...and only one vowel away from Hell.

Ha, forgot completely! I've merged mine into that one. There is actually yet another thread here!

PS Cosey has a new book on the way: Art Sex Music. I've just pre-ordered it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Oh dear, I wrote to Throbbing Gristle back in the day requesting they played Eric's, Liverpool. Genesis P. O. & co ( incl. Cosey )wrote back asking who this Eric was etc etc.. I lent the correspondence to a fellow student in Manchester who was obsessed with TG and JG Ballard. Lost touch with him and regrettably those historically interesting letters!!!

Hi David Ellwood When I lived there they called it ULL! same as whitefriargate in the centre of town they call it whitefragate. But bought all my Hi Fi gear from Fanthorpes absolutely fantastic!! Quad 405-2 and Quad 34 (just sold it all complete with receipts and books) Also bought a Linn Mimik CD player in 1998 (first type with through the hole components) plugged it in and played a disc ok now though makes a noise when turned on I think its the motors that control the laser head movement won't stop running so when at end of there travel just jumps on the gears (hence the noise) Please help anybody!

Hull

What you need to know.

Wilberforce, Slavery
Amy Johnson (missing)
Everything but the girl
Awful local dialect
White phone boxes
Rugby League

And nothing else.

Absolutely no mention of Marco Silva's Hull City AFC? Shocking.
This year is amazing...even the cynics are coming on board. Some amazing arts stuff and areas around Humber St etc being regenerated into cool places.

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****ed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

My daughter had to chose a poem to memorize and read to class for her high school freshman English class. I suggested this and we had a giggle at the thought of how it would go down in our rather upper class New England suburb. I still think she should have done it rather than the turgid and depressing piece the teacher suggested.

Absolutely no mention of Marco Silva's Hull City AFC? Shocking.
This year is amazing...even the cynics are coming on board. Some amazing arts stuff and areas around Humber St etc being regenerated into cool places.

Kingmaker and David Whitfield not mentioned either.

JR clearly resided in somewhere like Beverley, not Hull. A place for the new money to go and live.

JR clearly resided in somewhere like Beverley, not Hull. A place for the new money to go and live.

Working class roots though. Rovers supporter. Family from the wrong side of the river. And I grew up in Hornsea. Which is a retirement home. With a beach. And a lake. Some ducks. And a failing factory outlet park where a world class pottery company used to be. There are also caravans. Sort of like Phoenix Nights. But without the sophisticated allure of garlic bread.

No mention of Red Guitars?

Good Technology.

That ramped up Burns sound still sends a tingle through these old Haltemprician bones.

The City of CurlChair indeed.

BTW - its Kingston. Not Hull. The Hull is a river upon which the city was founded - Kingston Upon Hull.

I mean. Do people from Newcastle say they're from Tyne?

Berwick - Tweed?

etc

Never did quite get that.

Apologies for the diversion. Google can be dangerous.

No mention of Malcolms on George Street?

Early to mid seventies? Bands like Spirit , Budgie, Vinegar Joe (or was it Dada?)

Warlock on at the Trog Bar on a Tuesday night (followed by funk night at Scamps) They morphed into Dead Fingers Talk - jeez.

The good ole days.

Hull

What you need to know.

Wilberforce, Slavery
Amy Johnson (missing)
Everything but the girl
Awful local dialect
White phone boxes
Rugby League

And nothing else.

.... The places (besides the number 1 recently voted in Plymouth I believe) - which offer very, very good quality Fish & Chips; Patty, Scraps, Chip Spice (which is unique to Hull and cannot believe it hasn't caught on) with mushy peas, and a break cake with lashing of gravy. Atlantis in Anlaby gets my vote but there are a few others that never disappoint.

I live in Portugal, commute back to Leeds and confess I drive over for my fix.

No mention of Malcolms on George Street?

Early to mid seventies? Bands like Spirit , Budgie, Vinegar Joe (or was it Dada?)

Warlock on at the Trog Bar on a Tuesday night (followed by funk night at Scamps) They morphed into Dead Fingers Talk - jeez.

The good ole days.

Heh! Proper old school Hull. Jeff Parsons from DFT now plays with Lou Howard (ex Red Guitars and Planet Wilson) in Electric Loudhailer Company who are psychedelicly ace.

I was in the city yesterday attending a show based on the music of Basil Kirchin .
The show was fronted by Will Gregory (Goldfrapp) with The BBC Concert Orchestra and guests...
A very enjoyable show ! Top marks to them
On the downside the piece of art called the Blade which spans crossways over the square,is now a perch for seagulls etc crapping all over it..
The flagging still isn't finished ,parts of the town centre still have barriers,roads closed etc ,an eyesore and inconvenience to say the least....what must the first time visitors think?
I'm a believer in first impressions so I think that the Council has let the city down by not having the works finished in time...
Still as Leo Sayer stated "The Show must go on"

Chip Spice (which is unique to Hull and cannot believe it hasn't caught on)

Chip Spice was introduced to Hull by John Science in about 1980 when he opened the first Yankeeburger on Jameson St, then moving to Gipsyville, complete with Pink Corvette on the roof.

That's John in the picture. http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/pict...ctures/pictures-27793795-detail/pictures.html

I worked for him in the second diner he opened, he was a bit of a twat as a boss.

As kids we went mad for it, but it was even then readily available in supermarkets as American Seasoning.

It seemed to spread initially into the kebab shops and then the fish and chip shops, I guess as the middle-easterns started branching out from kebabs into chippies.

I cant stand the stuff now.

advertisement

Back