advertisement

Integrated with very good phono input?

Jodet

pfm Member
The new Rega Brio-r is a possibility but no. How about the Arcam A19? Any other suggestions?

It's either an integrated in the one-two grand range or get an outboard phono, maybe a Lehmann Black Cube.

I suspect the Lehmann would be better than the phono input in an integrated, anyone compared it to a good integrated?

I'm probably way with what you might want but I always thought a Naim NAIT 1 or 2 had quite a decent MM phono stage.

The Sonneteer Alabaster is a great integrated and now comes with a built in MM stage derived from their standalone phono stage, the Sedley.

Sonneteer - very interesting. But they don't appear to have a U.S. importer, just maybe (they don't really say) one Canadian dealer.

I second the Alabaster; great integrated with excellent MM stage, just like the old days. They certainly did have a US distributor at one point; a shame if they don't now.

Alternatively, you could pick up a second hand Onix 21, which is better than a Brio-R and has a superb MM stage.

I suspect the Lehmann would be better than the phono input in an integrated, anyone compared it to a good integrated?

By a considerable margin, I'd defy anyone to say "I can't hear a difference".

My personal take is dedicated phono stages take LP sound to where you imagine it should be, the one's built into integrated amps have always left me feeling underwhelmed by the medium.

...the one's built into integrated amps have always left me feeling underwhelmed by the medium.

That's certainly the case with amplifiers made in the last thirty-odd years.

I think you'll find that the phono stages of good vintage amps, made when vinyl was the major source, are capable of excellent results.

By a considerable margin, I'd defy anyone to say "I can't hear a difference".

My personal take is dedicated phono stages take LP sound to where you imagine it should be, the one's built into integrated amps have always left me feeling underwhelmed by the medium.

With the exception of the Hegel I feel the same way about built-in DAC's.

Onkyo A9070 and A9000R. Under most peoples radar and a hidden gem. MC input is a very sensitive 0.18 for an integrated that piqued my interest initially. I use low output Denon 103GL and it is exceptionally silent, transparent with huge dynamic range.

advertisement

Back