advertisement

Is Exposure coming back to this forum?

I'm very interested in the XM5 integrated. Really looking forward to some reviews as I don't have a local dealer.

Anyone heard or seen one yet? The U.S. importer doesn't even have a price for it yet.

Basically I consider this forum as unoffical main Naim (especially Nait 1/2) forum, but I saw more and more posts talking about Exposure. I can't locate old black ones as I saw those only once in my country and I'm building Nait 1 based system. But I can locate a Exposure 3010s2D at acceptable price. Thanks.
I have just picked up an Exposure system, the basic level 2010 cd & amp, very different balance to Naim I own, brighter, clearer & more precise, still has that Naim tightness & punch, just a leaner sound, the Naim is a little richer & more relaxed by comparison.
Pure was the first thought that popped into my head on first listen, followed by eager.

I have just picked up an Exposure system, the basic level 2010 cd & amp, very different balance to Naim I own, brighter, clearer & more precise, still has that Naim tightness & punch, just a leaner sound, the Naim is a little richer & more relaxed by comparison.
Pure was the first thought that popped into my head on first listen, followed by eager.

Yes, I agree. Even though I've been a Naim user for 23 years now, I was very impressed by the new Exposure line. As you say, the 2010 amp and CD player are incredibly good - I heard them driving a pair of budget Tannoys and was gobsmacked by the sound. A friend who was with me, who owns a much more expensive system (around 8 times the price) looked at me and remarked "listening to this makes me wonder why I've spent so much on my system''.

"listening to this makes me wonder why I've spent so much on my system''.

I 'downgraded' from a mid-level Naim (CDX2/202/200 on Fraim) to an Exposure XXII & XXXV and never regretted that. When I stumbled upon a JOB 225 & PRE 2 I couldn't resist and that was a better amp. However I wanted something even smaller (integrated with built-in dac) and now play with a Heed Obelisk SI mk2 with dactilus 1.2. Although quite a different sound (warmer) it also satisfies my needs just fine. My current system is about 10 times cheaper than it was before and I'm still happy...

Yes I have compared the 202/200 to my XVII and XVIII and they didn't even come close!

Yes I have compared the 202/200 to my XVII and XVIII and they didn't even come close!

The 202 & 200 are wonderful. But as with all Naim-stuff, they need a lot of TLC: warmed up all the time, placed on a Fraim, napsc + HiCap, very good source... If you treat them well, I believe they can better the Exposures. I guess I'm just not that kind for my amps :D

Yes, I agree. Even though I've been a Naim user for 23 years now, I was very impressed by the new Exposure line. As you say, the 2010 amp and CD player are incredibly good - I heard them driving a pair of budget Tannoys and was gobsmacked by the sound. A friend who was with me, who owns a much more expensive system (around 8 times the price) looked at me and remarked "listening to this makes me wonder why I've spent so much on my system''.
I imagine they would grab the attention in a demo, longer listening needs a careful match, speakers wise, the Tannoy speakers would probably work well, as do my rich sounding Castle speakers, allows the Exposure to express, that midrange is utterly addictive, very involving listen, the most expressive I have experienced to date at my level, the bottom end is no slouch either.

I have no idea why Naim & Exposure get mentioned in the same breath, to my ears, they have little in common as far as sound goes, one is meaty, rich & full fat, the other, precise, lean & mean, they sound polar opposites to me.

The 202 & 200 are wonderful. But as with all Naim-stuff, they need a lot of TLC: warmed up all the time, placed on a Fraim, napsc + HiCap, very good source... If you treat them well, I believe they can better the Exposures. I guess I'm just not that kind for my amps :D

They're really not... I have compared the two and my Exposure wiped the floor with the 202/200 combo and aren't that far off a 252/250/SC and considering the differences in price that's staggering and just proves to me Naim is overpriced.

They're really not... I have compared the two and my Exposure wiped the floor with the 202/200 combo and aren't that far off a 252/250/SC and considering the differences in price that's staggering and just proves to me Naim is overpriced.

I would think you've never heard them properly. I have owned a 202/200/napsc on Fraim and after that a XXXV + XXVIII (bi-amped) and although they sounded different, I wouldn't say the Exposures were better. I totally agree with you that Naim is way overpriced. The JOB's smashed the Naims for a fraction of the costs...

I don't think Exposure ever went away from the forums. It's been discussed over the years and has it's on fanbase for sure. Much smaller than Naim has but still existing. I've owned various Exposure kit over the years. Started with 3010s cdp and integrated and then went for 23/28 combo which was different. I assume more of the old Expo sound. Tried the 3010s2 monos too which indeed are ridiculously good for the money. Now I have had a full MCX setup for about five years and I see no reason to ever change it. Not cheap for sure but much more band for the buck than Classic range Naim in my opinion.

I've also heard a lot of different Naim kit over the years and for my ears they've always left me in a way disappointed. They are a fun to listen and very entertaining in their own way but I have to say they leave me wondering what's the thing with the pricing especially with the new stuff. I think the older stuff draws you in the music more efficiently than the new classic range. 52/135s are nice as well as even 72/250 can be nice with LP12 and Kans in a right room but they are still lacking in resolution and soundstage compared to even very reasonably priced Exposure kit in my opinion. Statement range is very promising but the pricing is just outrageous and nor suitable for regular people. So for me Naim kit can be decent or even quite good if the setup is good but in most cases I would suggest trying Exposure kit for a fraction of the Naim prices.

I like the sound of my XXXV (no phonocard), but mostly use my LFD Zero LE mkIII (with phonocard).

XXXV sounds more powerful and also has good mids and highs!
But overall I do prefer my somewhat leaner sounding LFD with my Harbeth C7-ES3

I would think you've never heard them properly. I have owned a 202/200/napsc on Fraim and after that a XXXV + XXVIII (bi-amped) and although they sounded different, I wouldn't say the Exposures were better. I totally agree with you that Naim is way overpriced. The JOB's smashed the Naims for a fraction of the costs...

I will surely say you haven't heard the Exposure's fully setup.

My experience (I had the 202/200 on loan for a period) was that my Exposure's ate them for breakfast and spat them out laughing... I have then compared them against my Dad's system (252/SC/300DR) and whilst his system is better, it isn't a lot better which it ought to be given the difference in values.

Exposure and Naim make a lot of really good sounding equipment , all at different price / performance levels. Always have done. I don't think you can really go wrong with either. Best to get to a dealer and have a listen - if that's at all possible. I currently own quite a few older products from both manufacturers. All of them discontinued now. All of them still superb even compared to todays offerings. I'd be happy with a one make system from either at some point in the future if I wanted to keep things simple. For now though I like to mix and match.The above mentioned, and quite a few other makes too.

Been spending lots of time with these beauties recently...

Exposure%20and%20Edwards%20Audio%202.jpg

Exposure%20and%20Edwards%20Audio%201.jpg

Been spending lots of time with these beauties recently...

Exposure%20and%20Edwards%20Audio%202.jpg

Exposure%20and%20Edwards%20Audio%201.jpg

The Exposure kit look very nice indeed. How does it sound next to the 3010S2-D integrated?

I have always liked the Exposure 3010 series. I once considered getting the 3010S2-D but was pulled to the other side. I have no qualms the Exposure would sound stellar in the right systems.

The Exposure kit look very nice indeed. How does it sound next to the 3010S2-D integrated?

I have always liked the Exposure 3010 series. I once considered getting the 3010S2-D but was pulled to the other side. I have no qualms the Exposure would sound stellar in the right systems.

It's good. Very good in fact. The 3010S2D has considerably more grunt, which certainly comes in handy with more difficult loads, but the XM5 does a fine job with most of the models we have here. The XM3 phono stage sounds amazing, especially the moving coil side, and cartridge matching is a doddle.

That rack looks sweet. Would go nicely with cyrus though I can't imagine it does much for vibration damping, especially on floor boards ... :)

That rack looks sweet. Would go nicely with cyrus though I can't imagine it does much for vibration damping, especially on floor boards ... :)

Funny you should say that. Just the other day, I was having a conversation about how good the Exposure XM components would look on the Cyrus rack, assuming for a moment that they would fit.

The rack in the photos is from Isoblue. There is also a base shelf with floor spikes, but my base is currently in use in another room. Here I just grabbed the top two shelves from the rack and carried them through to the other room. The floor is made of thick hardwood and MDF engineered tongue and groove boards laid over a solid sub-floor with some insulation in-between. It is pretty good at damping vibration.

I imagine they would grab the attention in a demo, longer listening needs a careful match, speakers wise, the Tannoy speakers would probably work well, as do my rich sounding Castle speakers, allows the Exposure to express, that midrange is utterly addictive, very involving listen, the most expressive I have experienced to date at my level, the bottom end is no slouch either.

I have no idea why Naim & Exposure get mentioned in the same breath, to my ears, they have little in common as far as sound goes, one is meaty, rich & full fat, the other, precise, lean & mean, they sound polar opposites to me.

Agree about the Exposure's midrange. That was what caught our attention. Also about the Naim sound vs Exposure's.

This thread is messing with my head - now I'm wondering about whether I'd be better off replacing my Naim 252/SC/250DR with an Exp combo!:confused::confused:

advertisement

Back