advertisement

Return To Ommadawn

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Anyone got this ? I am tempted but would prefer it on vinyl if possible.

Quite enjoy Ommadawn. My copy is in box set on SQ quadraphonic encoded vinyl. Has Tubular Bells, Hergist Ridge, Ommadawn and a collection of collaborations.

I've given it a listen and it reminds me a lot of the "Voyager" album - pretty, celtic-inspired music but TBH he's coasting. On the plus side, it's a country mile better than "Man on the Rocks".

Robert Reed is doing it better...

Mine arrived today.....Just finished side one and I'm suitably impressed....fits my mood for today. Sadly side two revealed a pressing fault which translated as a blop for enough of the second side to render me furious lol. It'll be going back for replacement.

Played it through the car a couple of times now. Certainly 'likeable' but it never seemes to 'go' anywhere....but then I suppose the original Ommadawn did'nt either. Mercifully few references to the original - it is certainly a different beast. Couple of nice sections where the old bass rhythm gets going but the guitar (and there is lot of that) over is is quite different.

Rather like Tubular Bells 3 is quite different to TUB 2, which is too similar to the original.

Worthy addition to your record/CD/Download collection but unlikely to trouble the charts I reckon.

Slightly off topic, but I recorded Orchestral Tubular Bells from Radio 3 back in the '70s.
I wonder what happened to the recording.
Probably erased it...

Worthy addition to your record/CD/Download collection but unlikely to trouble the charts I reckon.

Straight in at No.4 in the album charts and that is no mean feat after decades of mediocrity post Amarok.

Return to is a real grower for me... sounds superb on vinyl and 24/96 download. If there are more than 6 overdubs in any one section I'd be very surprised. Its possibly the most stripped down recording in his whole catalogue. Simple themes, superb African style drums and a nice tip of the hat to "On Horseback" at the end. Side 2 trumps the first, but after a week or so listening, even that gets better with every play. Not a patch on the original mind, but a very nice addition to the catalogue nonetheless :D

advertisement

Back