advertisement

Meridian car audio system

Nic P

pfm Member
We have recently purchased a Jaguar F-Pace with a Meridian audio system. I was worried about a bass-heavy sound like most TV sound bars. In fact it is well balanced and has a very clear sound. It is good at low levels and sounds amazing when you turn the volume up. Very impressed.

Nic P

congrats

went from an Outback with a full stereo that I installed to a RX350 with a stock stereo. It's horrible.

Mrs. B has ordered a Jaguar XE as her new company car and we were lucky that the standard stereo was fitted to the loan car she borrowed for the weekend, so we could appreciate just how truly dreadful it is!

Consequently, although I would obviously have tried to sway her to go for the Meridian upgrade anyway, she didn't need much persuading on this occasion!

My wife's Land Rover LR4 (Disco 4 across the pond) has the upgraded "825 watt, 17 speaker" Meridian option. It's pretty good! Not quite as good as the top of the line B&O system in an Audi S8 I heard once, but other than that, perhaps the best stock system I've heard so far. Much better than both the B&O system in my old Audi S4 and the harman/kardon system in my current BMW.

Jags, Audis, Lexus, BMW et al .... they all have a top sound system option well worth the upgrade

Yes, I have heard the top Meridian system versus ?? at my JAGUAR RANGE ROVER dealer. Terrific.... I am not surprised ... it's a JAG!..

The LEXUS Mark LEVINSON audio system is another premium performer.

And most, including me, would expect the audio option to follow lockstep with a premium car build. After all, we would not chintz it and try to wear brown loafers with a tuxedo either.

Recently done some car swapping, said goodbye to the Nissan leaf with bog standard and bloody awful sound system.
The sound system in the Kia Cee'd I used to drive (now the wifes) was surprisingly good - distorted a bit when you cranked the volume but for a non premium system it bettered the supposed premium JBL system I had in a peugeot 406 coupe a few years back.
The Mark Levinson in the new beast is sublime though.

You could just get a classic Land Rover and not worry about sound systems - you wouldn't hear them anyway. :)

I dunno about going the full monty in a golf, but my brother was once halfway through changing his trousers in a golf driven by my sister, just as a police car crashed into it

It's soo good atm, once there was only BOSE who lowered themselves to fit automotive upgrades, now you have Linn, Meridian, Burmeister, B&O, Mark Levinson, to name a few who are getting involved. Honestly most of it is down to the processing involved, rather than the speakers or the speaker installation... some 'upgraded' systems still use hideous install techniques, but the processing power overcomes the shortfalls of installation. Some manufacturers really listen to us car audio guys though, Mercedes for example has put two subs in the firewall (so sub bass in front of the listener, rather than the usual behind) in the new S-Class. Lots more interesting things in the pipeline too, but say thanks to the chaps who spend hours sat in the drivers seat doing all the time alignment and eq for the sound you hear!!

No accident that Samsung acquired Harman International (AKG, AMX, Crown, Harman/Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft and Studer) mainly because of the automotive involvement...

Have recently disposed of my trusty Passat and its dire sound was a factor. As a second hand buyer you don't get much choice as few cars have sound upgrades on the second hand market. I bought a Volvo V70, it has the standard sound but its way above the Passat standard and also better than an E class that I tested (with standard sound). Its a pity that there isn't a website which looks at cars only from a hi fi point of view.
Vovlo now have a B+W sound option which is probably wonderful but what chance is there of finding one on a second hand car? Its not just about the premium sound systems.

No accident that Samsung acquired Harman International (AKG, AMX, Crown, Harman/Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft and Studer) mainly because of the automotive involvement...

Mark Levinson are part of Harmon International? I didn't know that... that said, they have acquired a fair few brands in recent years.

Have recently disposed of my trusty Passat and its dire sound was a factor. As a second hand buyer you don't get much choice as few cars have sound upgrades on the second hand market. I bought a Volvo V70, it has the standard sound but its way above the Passat standard and also better than an E class that I tested (with standard sound). Its a pity that there isn't a website which looks at cars only from a hi fi point of view.
Vovlo now have a B+W sound option which is probably wonderful but what chance is there of finding one on a second hand car? Its not just about the premium sound systems.

I had an S60R with the Dynaudio system, it sounded pretty decent... not like my home system but very good all the same.

I have just got a brand new xc60 with standard sound. It is first car I have ever ordered from the factory with my own choice of options. I wanted to upgrade to the better sound but SWMBO would not allow it....I very nearly crept back to the dealer to change the order!.

I must say though that since the car is so quiet the regular system sounds pretty good - you do not have to crank it loud anyway

advertisement

Back