Mike Thornewill

pfm Member
Hi there,

I am running the following system:

Krell KPS 20i CD player
Naim NAC 52.
Naim Supercap.
NAP 180 per amp.
Totem model One speakers - with R4 stands.
NAC A5 wire - and mid range Chord interconnects.
(It's a great set up - and would cost £20K if it were a brand new system!)

It has been suggested I try an ISOL 8 Integra power conditioner to take everything to a higher level.
I value pace + timing + dynamics in my music.
Does anyone have a view if this is route worth exploring, before I spend any hard earned cash ?

Thank you,
Mike,

I can promise you, doing that will kill the sound in a Naim system!

Naim amps really do NOT like mains conditioners, I actually tried an Isol 8 in my system and hated it!!

Krell KPS 20i, wow, a serious CD player!

Pace and dynamics are the opposite of what you get with mains conditioners, and your gear indeed doesn't feel right with conditioning or current-limiting at the sockets.

Sometimes switched sockets can be a bit loose and limit current delivery, a much cheaper way to eliminate a variable is to use an un-switched socket for your gear, am not sure I had this problem though.

Additionally you might want to try some new interconnects, because looking at your system there doesn't seem too much to change. Perhaps try changing the NACA-5 for some Van Damme HiFi (similar cable in characteristics that I use with an ancient Exposure amp) for a low cost comparison.

I have used Isol 8 together with Naim/Rega and Teddy Pardo and if you have "polluted" mains this only does good. None of the PRAT suffered from it.

In my city centre location with measured polluted mains Isotek sigmas and Syncro work well and that has included Naim and Avondale power amps.

The best bet is to find a competent dealer who is prepared to lend you the conditioner to try out at home over a weekend.

I did attend a demo of a very large PS Audio mains regeneration rig fed into a large Linn system. Gavin & Stacy's, Brian & Trevor's (something like that) did the demo and even A/B compared the two. Myself and a colleague preferred the sound without and precisely because the dynamics were compressed with the power conditioner. Later I heard the dem again with more laid back music and was more ambivalent. I didn't feel tempted to buy a Krell sized power regenerator though (or any mains smoothing etc).

Naim amps really do NOT like mains conditioners, I actually tried an Isol 8 in my system and hated it!!

+1 (emphasis added)

My local dealer echoed the same opinion. ".....Don't do it!....."

I'll second uncl nigel's suggestion, try one at home. If you do this, also try plugging the power amp directly into a mains socket.

I'm with the NO campaign on this. Better still, get one on home demo and listen for yourself, but I wouldn't touch it if you don't have the option to return it for a full refund.

I'm in the Yes camp.
Naim amps not liking mains conditioners is not my experience at all.
Have run an Isotek Sigmas with 52/252, 135/300 with great success.
I know naim purists and dealers curl their lip- try and hear one and decide for yourself.

This ^^

If you enjoy the Naim sound, leave well alone.

This particular conditioner will sap the life out of your system.

Just a word of caution, switch your Nac a5 for Van Damme at your peril, attempted this, oh dear, not to be recommended unless you enjoy a softer edged, compressed & restrained sound from your system.

Use the grey interconnect din thingy too, it may look like a cheap piece of crap but Naim stuff sounds best with this in place.

What about the NVA (or any other manufacturer for that matter) BMU - Balanced mains unit? Anyone here gave it a try?

Hi there,

I am running the following system:

Krell KPS 20i CD player
Naim NAC 52.
Naim Supercap.
NAP 180 per amp.
Totem model One speakers - with R4 stands.
NAC A5 wire - and mid range Chord interconnects.
(It's a great set up - and would cost £20K if it were a brand new system!)

It has been suggested I try an ISOL 8 Integra power conditioner to take everything to a higher level.
I value pace + timing + dynamics in my music.
Does anyone have a view if this is route worth exploring, before I spend any hard earned cash ?

Thank you,
Mike,

Mike
To get things to a higher level you need to work on separate mains/earth, maybe a 250 or 135 serviced
(not sure how difficult the One's are ?)

I expect your pre/psu do not need any service.

I'd much prefer a two box Naim player for any Krell stuff but you could look out for the Rega Isis amo too.

Audience power conditioners work well with Naim gear. Recommended actually by AV Options, a Naim distributer in the States.

Worthy investment in my opinion... if for no other reason than to protect the gear from surges / outages... both common in Southern Ontario where I live.

advertisement

Back