advertisement

Kii 'control' specifications released!

Purité Audio

Trade: Purite Audio
Just arrived from Kii Audio,details of the new Kii 'control remote,
The Kii CONTROL turns the Kii THREE into a complete reproduction system of highest sonic quality and usability. Only connect your analog source, CD player/drive, server, streamer, TV set or set top box to enjoy your ultra high end, full range system in a stunningly small footprint.

Kii CONTROL offers three additional inputs for the Kii THREE:
Coax SPDIF, Optical TOSLINK and USB (up to PCM 24/384kHz and DSD64/DSD128 on USB).
We have tested the USB input with streamers and servers from Melco, Lumin, Aurender and Auralic with excellent results.
All inputs are located on the backside connector panel and can be activated with the touch switches located around the volume knob. A dedicated input button (labeled XLR) will switch to the existing hardware input on the speaker itself, which you can use as analog or digital input. The Kii Control is connected with the included CAT6 cable and is also powered through this connection. No additional power supply is necessary.

Kii CONTROL boasts lossless volume control inside the DSP of the Kii THREEs. The volume knob also offers mute or dim functions and manual power on/off (standby).
The Kii CONTROL also has IR remote capability (RC5 standard), user preset functions plus many additional functions, that you can access via the OLED display.
Keith

Am I missing something - my understanding of a remote control is a little box with no cables plugged into it. As soon as you plug something in, its not really a remote control any more. Will they be producing a remote to manage the remote?

It is called a remote control because it is remote from where you are sitting. It will need to be near your tv, CD player streamer etc (unless you want loads of cables running all over the floor.) But we are told it itself has an IR remote capability (RC5) so presumably there will be a remote control for it. A remote control for your remote control. It really should be controllable from an iPad/iPhone app imo, and they just should've called it a control centre or digital preamp.

...they just should've called it a control centre or digital preamp.

In defence of Kii, they called it the Kii CONTROL. Totally agree that "control centre" or "digital preamp" are both much better descriptions than "remote control".

So can you control that remotely? (e.g. via IPad)

According to Kii's latest product bulletin, which arrived at about 11am today, the Kii CONTROL has IR remote capability (RC5 standard). I will seek further clarification, but I suspect that makes it compatible with pretty much any universal remote and probably many OEM remotes too. Conceivably you could control it from an iPad using something like the Harmony Hub...

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/harmony-hub?crid=60

According to Kii's latest product bulletin, which arrived at about 11am today, the Kii CONTROL has IR remote capability (RC5 standard). I will seek further clarification, but I suspect that makes it compatible with pretty much any universal remote and probably many OEM remotes too. Conceivably you could control it from an iPad using something like the Harmony Hub...

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/harmony-hub?crid=60

I have the Grimm LS1 system and not surprisingly the Kii control unit operates in a similar way (Kii were apparently using the Grimm controller for demos, during the development phase). The control unit itself is attached by cable to the controlling speaker and accepts additional inputs sources. Some of the control unit functions can then be operated by a universal or oem IR remote control (the unit allows you to assign tasks to buttons on any rc5 remote) e.g I can control volume, mute and input source using a Pro-ject remote that also operates my CD player.

Indeed they did with the Grimm name plate taped over, Bruno helped design the LS1 it would make sense if the two devices were similar in concept.
The Grimm remote works really well , Kii haven't mentioned , to me at least of a remote to control the 'control' I will ask tomorrow.
Keith

So at the end of the day it's a switch between a few inputs and a volume control. It doesn't even do the volume control, it just tells the speakers to do that. You can't control it from an iPad or iPhone nor, despite the fact that it is on Ethernet, can you stream to it from your network. So why is it so expensive? For the same reason the stands are so expensive? ie no good reason.

You can't control it from an iPad or iPhone nor, despite the fact that it is on Ethernet, can you stream to it from your network. So why is it so expensive? For the same reason the stands are so expensive? ie no good reason.

It's not on Ethernet. It has an RJ45 socket, but that is used for KiiLink communication with the speakers.

"Expensive" is a subjective term. The CONTROL seems reasonably priced to me and the system as a whole is terrific value for money.

It's not on Ethernet. It has an RJ45 socket, but that is used for KiiLink communication with the speakers.

"Expensive" is a subjective term. The CONTROL seems reasonably priced to me and the system as a whole is terrific value for money.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood, it's not on Ethernet. That makes it even more expensive imo. And the best part of a grand for wee stands is "terrific value for money"? Pull the other one!

advertisement

Back