advertisement

2-core interconnect connections?

PaulMB

pfm Member
I have to solder up a pair of interconnects, and have a "microphone cable" with two inner wires and an outer shield. What is the generally approved preference for the connections? (Without connecting anything at only one end since these are rough-and-ready cables for the garage and cannot be "directional")

Thanks!

Are the interconnects single ended, using RCA/Phono plugs ?

If so I would use the 2 inner wires soldered to the live inner pin and the outer shield for the neutral outer ring.

Twist the 2 inner cores for hot and the shield for cold.

I have also seen suggestions for the inner cores as hot and cold but with the surround either not connected or connected to cold at one end over. Using the 2 inner cores keeps the same resistance and cable type for both sides.

OK Great! Thanks. So twist the cores together for the centre pin, and the shield to the outer.

Thank you both.

Hi Guys,

I generally use the quasi or pseudo balanced configuration with one internal wire used as the signal (centre pin) the other internal wire used as the ground or return (outer ring), then connect the shield at one end only (make Shure you mark the shield connected end with a bit of tape or a ring of heat shrink tubing). The idea is that any noise picked up by the shield will be drained back to earth and is not introduced into the signal path.

A picture makes it easier to explain….

yw_1.jpg

This is generally the accepted way to wire up twin core and shield microphone cable when used as an interconnect and it does a very good job indeed.

When in use, I connect all the shielded ends into one component (usually the preamp) but I have also heard that some prefer to connect with the shield connected at the signal source end. Try it either way and see if you can hear a difference … I can’t

Hope this helps.

+1 with the fact notwithstanding that the shield material is far from being as 'audiophile' as that of the core wires'

Thanks everyone! I've done it, but putting the two cores together on the centre pin and using the shield on the outside of the phono plugs. It is for use in the garage/darkroom so could not be bothered with remembering which way round to connect.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone! I've done it, but putting the two cores together on the centre pin and using the shield on the outside of the phono plugs. It is for use in the garage/darkroom so could not be bothered with remembering which way round to connect.

Thanks again!

This is how I would also have wired it (if that's any help) - I'm aware of the other wiring options but this would still be my choice.

I do it that way, despite the prevailing dogma being to ground the shield at the source end.

My thinking is that the receiving component, ie preamp/integrated, is more likely to be grounded than the source, hence a better sink for noise.

advertisement

Back