advertisement

George Michael R.I.P

Very sad news, jaw dropped when I switched on the tv this morning, 53 is a terribly young age to pass, if you enjoyed his music or not, the guy was talented, he will be missed.

It is now official, 2016 was a shit year.

Quite. Apart from Adele, has there been one single artist to fill the boots of all these big personalities. I can't think of any. The festivals complain that there are no real headline acts in the latest generations of acts to replace the generations that came before.

I have always felt that pop and rock started to die at the millenium. Now the pop and rock stars are starting to die. I wonder if it is not just 2016 but the way it is going to be every year.

+1.

R.I.P. George.

Without doubt he would have had more hit albums if it wasn't for his wrangle about the contract he signed to produce his albums. It strangled his talent completely. Listen Without Prejudice is a great album and shows his fabulous vocal talents off, he truly was a great singer. RIP GM.

He will always be remembered in the fell running community; giving us a simple one or two word expression for losing, or indeed almost losing, a shoe when crossing soft ground.

Many years from now runners will still murmur his name when crossing from Thunacar Knot on the way to Esk Hause. RIP George.

He was a very talented vocalist, not generally in a style I enjoyed much but nevertheless he will be sadly missed

RIP George

Not a big fan but the wife is playing Cowboys and Angels and a tear rolled down my face, very talented musician and will be missed

RIP George

I attended the Wham final gig at Wembley stadium in 1986, went along for the ride with my then girlfriend, a big fan at the time, the guy surprised me with his vocal talent, he didn't stop moving for 3 hours & still sounded superb, the guy certainly had stage presence. It was far more enjoyable than I expected.
Just played freek, quite enjoyed it.

Talent is very thin on the ground these days, there are a few who may last a little longer, 30 years though, I doubt it, I feel these days are behind us in the pop world. He was probably the last male superstar pop star of a generation, I doubt this will happen for a very long time, if ever. The industry & how people listen to music, has changed, throw away, fast food music nowadays.

Quantity over quality.

Not a fan (can you say that without the fan police being activated), seemed like a troubled life and premature death.
RIP George.

I have very fond memories of "Faith" that was on heavy rotation on the local "Hot FM" during my time in Binghamton, NY.
Rest in peace!

Quite. Apart from Adele, has there been one single artist to fill the boots of all these big personalities. I can't think of any. The festivals complain that there are no real headline acts in the latest generations of acts to replace the generations that came before.

I have always felt that pop and rock started to die at the millenium. Now the pop and rock stars are starting to die. I wonder if it is not just 2016 but the way it is going to be every year.

Adele her voice drives me nuts after a few tracks:(

2016 had to have another sting in the tail didn't it? What an awful year. I was never really a fan but it's obvious that George Michael was a hugely talented musician. RIP.

I couldn't be bothered with poppy girl-attracting bands like Wham in the 80's, but he gained my respect when he performed with Queen at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert. He was stunning. I really thought he could become Queen's next singer.

Ever since then, one of my favourite albums has been George's 'Songs From the Last Century'. If you haven't hear Roxanne from that set, you really should look it up. The beautiful jazzy way the band plays, and his breathy subtle vocal, almost make it a hifi 'must'.

2 different versions of Roxanne.....

1. The recording of 'Roxanne' from 'Songs From the Last Century':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSyOCx6ZXfM

and
2. Singing 'Roxanne' live with a huge orchestra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC_XfM6JjXc

And a great guy apparently. Much too young. AGAIN. And Rick Parfitt too.... There's going to be an avalanche of these over the next two decades.

George is already more than 10 grief-stricken posts ahead of Rick and Rick had a head start. Talk about avalanche it's like Aberfan all over again over on Radio 2! (but without all the dead children and that obvi)

I was never an fan of his early work but his MTV unplugged was a truly great vocal performance.I guess fall out with his record company stopped it appearing on dvd.

Will we get through the final days of 2016 without losing anyone else?

*Aberfan

George is already more than 10 grief-stricken posts ahead of Rick and Rick had a head start. Talk about avalanche it's like Abergavenny all over again over on Radio 2! (but without all the dead children and that obvi)

Really upsetting. I liked his music, I will miss that. Even in his Wham! days he was singing about real things in a way we could all understand. He evolved too and remained inspired- that is very rare. He came across as intelligent and witty with a good line in self depreciation. He was out and about when I started going out, he wasn't an idol like Bowie, he was more human. A great song writer. From what I hear a great perfectionist in the studio.

I saw a link to an email he sent a journalist and he signed it "The Singing Greek". Brilliant. Class and funny.

advertisement

Back