advertisement

LP12 with NVA amps?

matthias

pfm Member
Hi,

does someone have experience with NVA amps (phono, pre, power) in a set-up with LP12 as source?
How is the performance in comparison to brands like Linn, Naim and Exposure?
Thanks.

Matt

NVA have a forum I'd suggest asking the question over there to get an answer straight from them.

I would have thought that the cartridge match to the nva phono stage would be more relevent than the fact that it is mounted on a linn.

Back 'in the day' it was not uncommon to find NVA amps fronted by an LP12. These days audio 'politics' means that such a pairing is less common but in technical terms there is no reason why the two shouldn't be used.

Thanks so far.

Maybe the second question is more important:

How do NVA present music in comparison to the other mentioned brands(or others)?

Matt

Back in the day, I had an LP12/Ittok/P77 into NVA amplification and Nightingale Enigma speakers and it was great. There's absolutely no reason why that should not still be the case with new NVA gear.

I once auditioned a Naim 42/140 against an NVA equivalent with an LP 12 front end.

The Naim won hands down.

The NVA list low level information in the music compared to the Naim.

It was at Chris Brooks place and the guy who made NVA was there.

I used an LP12 with an NVA AP20 for 10 years or so with Royd speakers. probably the sweet-spot in terms of price/performance of any system I've ever had.

It has less to do with the deck per se, and more to do with the relationship between the cart, the phono stage, the passive NVA pre, the power amps and their respective gain and impedance.

I used NVA passive pre and monoblocks (A80s) for a few years - but not an NVA phono stage. My cart was a (very low output MC) DV TKR and my experience with vinyl was not a very happy one.

This is not necessarily NVA's fault, and they have some serious strengths. Do try before you buy though (a facility which they offer).

Thanks so far.

Maybe the second question is more important:

How do NVA present music in comparison to the other mentioned brands(or others)?

Matt

I've got a bit sick of reading about Amp X sounding better than Amp Y on all forums. I have tried the NVA AP70 integrated long time ago. It is a neutral sounding amp, fairly detailed, balanced and nice. I then tried an LFD Zero LEIII which made the NVA sound flat. The LFD is much more energetic, lively and dynamic. Ditto the Naim.

In the end it depends not only on personal preference but system/component matching and setup of the system which will determine which is the "better" amp. If you like a neutral, flat and laidback sound, the NVA will be good. If you want a bit of fireworks, the (insert other makes here) will be better.

Tim Jones and Ryder make some good points.

I have heard NVA amps into NVA speakers with tt and cd sources and I was impressed. I own a Teddy Pardo amp but use a NVA phono stage and NVA speakers. To my ears it's a great combo but the important part is that it's my ears. The only suggestion I can make is that you buy some NVA and return it if you don't like what you hear. They make a very nice starter pre/power for only £300. You might just get an almighty surprise. Teddy is a bit more expensive but in my opinion, they are excellent products. Both manufacturers sell on a no questions asked returns basis so you get to try the amp in you home before fully committing.

Buy, try, trust your ears and not what the forum says and don't be bullied into buying something you really don't want. There's an element of snobbery and willy waving in hi fi and it's best ignored. Have fun with your search.

Another one here that would would say they are a very neutral and and detailed amp. Although I don't own the amps (hope to get some when funds allow) I have an NVA headphone amp and Cube 3 speakers. Why not visit HiFi Subjectivist site and read the thoughts of present owners. Give em a try and if you don't like return within 30days. I will add they are great vfm compared to Naim.

I didn't have either an NVA Phono 1 or Phono 2, but when I had it, I ran my LP12/Linn Akito (fitted with a Ortofon Samba MC and then a Denon DL110) I had a pair of NVA A40's, an NVA P50sa passive pre and a Graham Slee Reflex M/PSU-1 driving a pair of JBL4311 and then Tannoy Chevoits with no problems at all...

May I chip in please?

First off, I have a freelance association with the smaller NVA gear and phono stages, but I'll try to be as unbiased as I can.

Passive preamps work well with some amps, but if the amps are to be used close to the speakers, a good active model may well have advantages... My evidence is that I played a line level source straight into a power amp, then slipped an active preamp in and listened again with levels matched as closely as possible. if the active preamp changed the sound it was rejected - and so many I tried did change the sound passing through them, but I digress....

Back to the original question. I use an NVA Phono 2 here with turntable setups you lot would laugh at. My personal take is that the whole reason for the LP12's existence in the early years - the ability to get 'musical' info off a flawed vinyl medium - is continued in the NVA amps I bought and with the turntables I play with most often, the MUSICAL message comes through really well, without taking the sonics apart. I reckon other more 'HiFi' based phono stages would take the sound of my lash-ups apart in an unacceptable way. I was always more of a 'tune/melody/atmosphere' person than a 'rhythm king' so please bear this in mind. The NVA Phono 1's I've tested do the same in a slightly less expansive way.

So, a well fettled LP12 will of course be just fine into any amp out there I think, as long as the sub-chassis isn't being wobbled about by foot-falls and if the cartridge is well matched to the tonearm fitted thereby minimising very low frequency instability and resulting excessive speaker cone wobbles.

As for a 42/140, I sold this effin' stuff for years and never liked the baby pre and powers this manufacturer made, the larger models as well as the early Naits always sounding more 'musical' and less 'mechanical' to me when new - remember, I'm not a rhythm king and nowadays, my old abused ears cannot stand harshness in any shape or form (apparently a natural ageing thing I'm told) and for me, current smaller Naims still get nasty when pushed too hard. Knowing what I know now, I'd say that Exposure from this era would have been rather better, the power amps especially...

I'm told by a dealer pal that current Linn amps are good in a dry, lean kind of way. The less said about their current speakers the better, he tells me..

advertisement

Back