advertisement

N272 vs MuSo and AirPlay

davea

pfm Member
Just trying to get to grips with operating the N272 streaming pre-amp.

It does not seem to announce as an AirPlay device.

The MuSo works fine as AirPlay device, out of the box as far as I remember.

It seems odd that virtually all the streaming functionality is the same across the two devices but that the N272 doesn't do AirPlay. Have I missed something?

You haven't missed anything, no Naim streamers support Airplay except for the Musos. No loss in my view, as Airplay isn't going to give you decent sound quality in any case.

Does the manufacturer need a specific Apple chip to enable Airplay? I don't think a software upgrade would allow the 272 to stream airplay. You'd probably need a separate Airport Express with optical cable into the back of the 272. Messy! But on SQ grounds probably little worse than direct Airplay support.

Thanks all for the replies.
I am not concerned as I mainly use UPNP. It just seemed strange that they would miss out that function on a box which does fairly much everything else and when they already have it on lower models.

Dave - hide an Apple TV behind your rack, optically linked into the 272 - for £50 you'll have AirPlay to the Pre Amp too.

Does the manufacturer need a specific Apple chip to enable Airplay? I don't think a software upgrade would allow the 272 to stream airplay. You'd probably need a separate Airport Express with optical cable into the back of the 272. Messy! But on SQ grounds probably little worse than direct Airplay support.

I am not sure whether or not a specific Apple chip is required for AirPlay, but certainly it is a licensed technology.

If you mostly listen to CD quality audio then theoretically the Airport Express will give you better results over Airplay than the Apple TV. Theoretically. In practice the difference may not be audible and obviously the Apple TV has other advantages, like its ability to handle video. You will need an Apple TV 3 or earlier for this job as the latest version does not come with an optical output.

If you mostly listen to CD quality audio then theoretically the Airport Express will give you better results over Airplay than the Apple TV. Theoretically. In practice the difference may not be audible...

I would agree. I've used both and was unable to hear a difference.

advertisement

Back