advertisement

The All New Avondale TPX 1.5 PSU with TPR4

Gaius

pfm Member
I have been a strong advocate of the Avondale TPR4 Regulator board, originally reviewed some time back by YNWOAN of this Parish.

His review led me to try the board in an Olive Hicap and the difference was immediately quite obvious, this has been written about on other threads. I then purchased a CB SNAPS directly from Les earlier this year, serviced by him and again fitted with the wonderful TPR4 reg and what a peach it was!

When I heard Les was launching a new TPX1.5 PSU featuring the TPR4 reg it was on my list, particularly at the crazy low price of £345.

Well mine arrived a few days ago and currently sits between a little vintage set up, a CB NAC 62 and NAP110, great fun duo on their own but hooking up the TPX1.5 to the pre amp was a revelation, a no brainer if you will.

What it does is take a lot of noise out of the equation, this give a much clearer crisper presentation, cleaner, tighter; all those things.

What it does not do is change the flavour, the sonic signature remains Naim, it just allows the system to work better.

Highly recommended then and a bargain to boot.

Regards,

Mark

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/gaius1/image.jpg2_zpsxeljxonq.jpg

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/gaius1/image.jpg1_zpsror8zm7i.jpg

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/gaius1/image.jpg1_zpsfrtnwywj.jpg

Completely agree, mine has been running for 3 days now and is a big step up from the Snaps I was using.

I have been a strong advocate of the Avondale TPR4 Regulator board, originally reviewed some time back by YNWOAN of this Parish.

His review led me to try the board in an Olive Hicap and the difference was immediately quite obvious, this has been written about on other threads. I then purchased a CB SNAPS directly from Les earlier this year, serviced by him and again fitted with the wonderful TPR4 reg and what a peach it was!

When I heard Les was launching a new TPX1.5 PSU featuring the TPR4 reg it was on my list, particularly at the crazy low price of £345.

Well mine arrived a few days ago and currently sits between a little vintage set up, a CB NAC 62 and NAP110, great fun duo on their own but hooking up the TPX1.5 to the pre amp was a revelation, a no brainer if you will.

What it does is take a lot of noise out of the equation, this give a much clearer crisper presentation, cleaner, tighter; all those things.

What it does not do is change the flavour, the sonic signature remains Naim, it just allows the system to work better.

Highly recommended then and a bargain to boot.

Regards,

Mark

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/gaius1/image.jpg2_zpsxeljxonq.jpg

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/gaius1/image.jpg1_zpsror8zm7i.jpg

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/gaius1/image.jpg1_zpsfrtnwywj.jpg

Is the tpx1.5 better than Avondales tpx2 and ASR hicap I have ,

I have on order the new RSL full reg module to fit into my FLAT Cap
I will then compare against the former p/s

If my memory is correct, I seem to remember that some people
preferred the Asr to the tpr4

Is the tpx1.5 better than Avondales tpx2 and ASR hicap I have ,

I have on order the new RSL full reg module to fit into my FLAT Cap
I will then compare against the former p/s

If my memory is correct, I seem to remember that some people
preferred the Asr to the tpr4

To provide an answer, I'll have to rely on the comments from one user - a member of PFM who reports:

'I'm delighted and it's (TPR4) now installed in my Hicap - WOW...My wife, who rarely comments on such matters immediately said "it's gone from good to great"

This chap had an ASR installed previously in his Hicap

Hope that helps, L

Last year I had a Hicap with TPR4 regulators and it was very good
Should the new TPX 1.5 be connected/placed between pre and power just as Snaps/Hicap does ?
If so, how many DIN connectors available ?
Any pictures of the backpanel please

I would be very interested in the difference between a TPX2 and a TPX1.5 supplying a Grad 1, if anyone has any info.

Mark

^^^Could not pick the sub up from the speaker terminals on the power amp?
I think the preferred method in a Naim system is to run from the speaker end. I did this for a while (in a 102/SPX/140 system), but it's not ideal because you need two runs of speaker cable (second go runs back to sub). My SPX was set up to be wired the same as a HICAP. One of the reasons I switched over to an integrated with a dedicated variable sub out was to reduce this clutter. I wonder if a splitter cable could be fashioned by Flashback or similar that sends low level signals to both the power amp and sub.

Regarding the TPX2 v TPX1.5 I would be interested as I use TPX2 with the Grad 1. Or alternatively can the TPX2 be upgraded?

Regards,

Martin

I've got a couple of TPX 2's on my A102, whenever I've spoken to Les he says the TPR4 is voiced towards Naim sound (PRAT?) I assume the ATX/TPX is voiced in the Avondale vein ?

Those of us that've gone Avondale will understand

Anyone know whether this will work with a Naim integrated? And how do you buy one of these as it doesn't appear on the Avondale website?

I would be very interested in the difference between a TPX2 and a TPX1.5 supplying a Grad 1, if anyone has any info.

Mark

It's good question and let me impart this while fresh.

I put the TPX1.5 between a 62/110 and the difference was obvious as I stated above. I then replaced the NAP110 with a new NAP 200DR still found the TPX1.5, a lot better driving my Yammy NS1000s, All good.

I have since taken possession of a Grad 1 and TPX2.

I hooked up the Grad 1 with the TPX1.5, really nice, controlled, a lot about this pre amp I have heard so much about and not owned, it was smooth, detailed but I felt lacked shall we say gusto.

I then switched out the TPX1.5 for the TPX2 and oh my!

Such a bigger sound, slam, attack, better dynamics, a slam dunk really and a keeper for me.

Les has done a wonderful job here. If you have say a 72/140 the TPX1.5 is a no brainer.

If you have a Grad 1 then the TPX2 you already have is where to stay.

I have always said it's about synergy and the two different approaches work so well.

I don't think a Grad 1/TPX2 is a 52 or better than 52 but it does all those things I like way better than a 72/Hicap. I'd certainly have it in front of an 82/supercap.

I've come to know Les and we have not always agreed but this pre amp combo is just superb. He is also a gent and full of knowledge he is happy to share, a rare gift.

Regards

Mark

advertisement

Back