advertisement

Quad II problem

simeon

No fixed engagements
I have a pair of Quad IIs that I use with a Quad 44 and ESL57s. We moved house earlier this year and I have just unpacked and connected this system after much decorating (!)

One of the IIs is not working. It worked fine before being packed up. It was transported without valves in its original box. All the valves light up but there is no sound. I’ve swapped all the leads, speakers and the valves to no effect.
When I say there is no sound, I mean nowt, nada, an inky-black silence... When I bought these some years ago they were a little uncared-for but I have replaced everything except the transformers and they had been working well.

Anyone got any ideas (that don't involve a blown output transformer)?

Given there is no sound at all I'd start at the speaker terminals and work backwards, e.g. check the internal wiring, check nothing has come loose in transit, stick a meter over the outputs with the power off and see if you get the same Ohm reading as the other one. Then ask someone who knows what the hell they are talking about!

PS There is some way to switch a Quad II between 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm output taps IIRC. I've no idea what it is, but if it is a jumper/plug inside check it hasn't fallen off as that would explain not so much as a hiss at the output.

Thanks Tony, good thought. I'll give it a try tomorrow. After a stressful afternoon putting up guitar hangers on dot and dab plaster walls I self-medicated with martinis. Cheers!

OK, I checked the 'bad' one against the 'good' one and had a good prod around. Everything seemed ok. Slightly baffled I put them both back into the system and they work! I have no idea what went on there but maybe I was just being stupid. As Bill said, all's well that ends well. And thanks again, Tony.

advertisement

Back