advertisement

How do I stream to my main system?

Ronaudio

Ronaudio
Avoided streaming thus far, having stuck with vinyl and cd's, but after purchasing a Rega Saturn r, with it's separately useable DAC, I thought I would like to see what these streams sound like through my main system (Rega Saturn r/ Rega Elicit r/ Rega RX3's) would like to hear also, some hi res streams to see if they sound as good as the physical equivalents.
Don't want to spend other than a minimum (it's just a bit of experimentation after all), and don't want to go to the extent of a Linn DSM etc., but I'm another computer audio novice, and so would appreciate the advice of the experienced, plus would prefer wireless streaming, unless the loss of sound quality thereby achievable, makes wired streaming the only way to go.

Avoided streaming thus far, having stuck with vinyl and cd's, but after purchasing a Rega Saturn r, with it's separately useable DAC, I thought I would like to see what these streams sound like through my main system (Rega Saturn r/ Rega Elicit r/ Rega RX3's) would like to hear also, some hi res streams to see if they sound as good as the physical equivalents.
Don't want to spend other than a minimum (it's just a bit of experimentation after all), and don't want to go to the extent of a Linn DSM etc., but I'm another computer audio novice, and so would appreciate the advice of the experienced, plus would prefer wireless streaming, unless the loss of sound quality thereby achievable, makes wired streaming the only way to go.
Can you plug into the dac whatever device you are using to post to this forum ? If so then you are all set.

Connect your laptop or PC to the Brio with a USB cable and set the laptop or PC to use the Brio device if it doesn't do so automatically.

Hi, page 5 of the manual gives an idea how to set up a PC with the Saturn R.
http://www.rega.co.uk/uploads/rega-saturn-r-english-manual.pdf
Then pretty much any audio you play on the PC will go through the DAC section of the Saturn. That will be any iplayer video streaming, youtube, deezer, spotify etc for streaming audio via the internet, or playing music files (flacs etc) locally from your hard drive using itunes, foobar, jriver etc "media player" software.
All you will need is an A-B USB cable, like the one for connecting a printer (i.e. flat end aka "A" into the PC, square end aka "B" into the Saturn)
regards Robert

'Streamers' are computers , there is no difference in quality as long as you deliver bit perfect data to the dac.
Keith

Someone has to be the first to mention the Raspberry Pi streamer, this is the route that I have gone down, Bought a pi3, a HIfiBerry S/PDIF board, and a plastic case and a power supply. Then downloaded Moode and put that on an SD card, stuck that in the Pi. plugged in an old USB backup drive into a USB slot and the Pi with an Ethernet cable into the wifi box. Switch it on, and point and web browser at the IP address of the Pi, and voila, I have a "headless" server.

S/PDIFinto DAC and DAC to system. Guessing that hi fi manufacturers charge several hundred for this sort of thing, this is under £100.

There are upgrade options with power supplies, but I think the real upgrade would be a Sonore microRendu. Not that I have heard one mind you.

Yes, you can use a PC but you have to boot it up, switch it on, its not dedicated. And getting the Pi going was a bit of fun.

Tony

Not sure, about the comment above. My experience has been that with a PC plugged directly into USB dac does not sound that great.

But the OP has nothing to loose, just give it a try and see what you think :)

I am not knowledgeable about the Rega Saturn-R, does it use asynchronous transfer method for its USB interface ?

Usually a reasonable, USB to SPDIF convertor gives better results, if the DAC does not support asychronous transfer method.

But hey -YMMV just MHO

A correctly configured computer into a dac with a isolated self powered async usb interface sounds excellent.

Raspberry pi's are not the easiest to set up.

In this day and age you could get a Chromecast Audio. Much neater (and cheaper).

Sounds good (even from its analogue out/in-built DAC) and looks small. Tuck it away behind your system. Control from laptop or phone.

A kid can set it up in five minutes and it supports 24bit 96khz. As high resolution as most ever need. (Read PM's monthly analysis of High Resolution downloads in HifiNews & RR).

Genius

I've got no interest in computer audio but I was curious having read this thread. I signed up for a free Month with Tidal and downloaded the app on my IPad. I got the Hifi version.

I'm sending the music from my iPad via Bluetooth to a BT100 dongle thing plugged into my DAC.

I was very disappointed with the resulting music. In fact I found it very irritating and fatiguing within minutes.

Why? I'm guessing the Bluetooth connection or is Tidal Hifi sh'ite?

Yes, BT doesn't compare favorably with wifi.

Tidal Hifi (Lossless) sounds superb imo (CCA) as does Spotify Premium. Not quite as good but not bad for a tenner/month.

I prefer Tidal lossless but Spotify's interface.

Think you need one of those camera connection kits or stream wirelessly via an Airport Express if you have one.

Think you need one of those camera connection kits

For an apple device, or OTG cable for android, I.E. USB Host capabilities...

The only downside to this is you're using your charging port (USB for Android) to stream, so this isn't a long term option...;)

advertisement

Back