advertisement

Wam sold again.....

Of all the audio forums, I find PFM the most easy to navigate and also the friendliest.
I've bought and sold through it without any problems, and also met the odd member during a transaction.
( Not that any members of PFM are odd. Well, not as far as I know...)
Advice has been sought and given freely in the most helpful ways.

The green background is relaxing to work against, unlike the Art of Sound forum with its bright colour.
Just a personal observation, but relevant I feel.

I think a donation to PFM is in order.

Friendliest? How much time do you spend in off topic?

Very little in Off Topic, but elsewhere there is interesting discussion and a generally good approach to audio.

Perhaps there are certain types of people, those who like confrontation and heated discussion, that post in Off Topic.

Tony - As a thought would it be viable add an option to donate X and have no adverts for one year.. I currently run an adblocker as I despise how intrusive they are on some sites, but some sites I use a lot have 'subscription' options that remove ads and give a slightly larger PM inbox for a fixed annual price.

vBulletin isn't clever enough to facilitate that unfortunately, though when I eventually get around to migrating to a new platform it is something that I'll look into.

That would be my preference as well. I hate ads so run adblocker. I know this means you lose revenue so I did contribute some money earlier in the year.

Another site I'm a member of is self funding by voluntary contributions of £1 per month by Standing Order, would this be an option here ?

I like keeping it pretty loose to be honest. I like that folk can pay what they want, no more and no less, plus I'll very happily accept non-cash things, e.g. several members have donated pretty substantial record or CD collections over the years. Makes it all worthwhile IMO, in fact purely by chance I recieved a very good record collection around the time of my cycle accident earlier this year so had a supply of very nice vinyl to keep the shop ticking over whilst I was fairly immobile. My viewpoint is that the majority of folk who really enjoy the site tend to support it, some in quite exceptionally generous ways, and this covers for others. I far prefer this than trying to formalise anything, it just feels more natural and organic somehow. The more you try to apply rigid structures to forums the worse they tend to get IMHO. If in future times ad-blocking becomes so endemic it makes running the place non-viable I may need to rethink, but until that point I prefer to largely keep out of it and just allow folk to donate what they want, whenever they want and in whatever form they want.

I consider myself an ardent supporter of the site. I didn't even complain about my Elton John LP that speeds up and slows down with each revolution.....

I gave up on hifiwigwam since its last sale and 'improvement' has made it so slow that it is practically unusable. It was fine prior to this 'improvement'.

I gave up on hifiwigwam since its last sale and 'improvement' has made it so slow that it is practically unusable. It was fine prior to this 'improvement'.

Yes my feelings too. It was always a good place to sell and buy stuff. Now so slow and clunky as to be unusable.

I always find it interesting to look at other aproaches, layouts, ideas etc, both from a what is good and bad perspective. I must admit I find the spliting of the classifieds into component genres really irritating. The days of being able to just pop over and swiftly browse what had been listed over the past week or so just got a lot harder as you have to navigate rooms rather than just looking through ten, twenty pages or so. The beauty of classifieds is not really knowing what one wants, just seeing if anything catches your eye, e.g. when browsing eBay I just look at the main audio kit category, I don't just go looking at speakers or whatever. I just like taking a random path.

Agreed. It was a perfectly good, easily negotiated site which has now become an ergonomic disaster area.

Very sad indeed. I was an active member(different username), but can't really be bothered with it now. :(

I prefer a minimalist/simple forum layout, I was a long standing regular member of the old Wam but it's not a shadow of its former self and unlikely to ever be.

I like it here and always have, even when the Wam was my main site I still spent a lot of time here.

I prefer a minimalist/simple forum layout, I was a long standing regular member of the old Wam but it's not a shadow of its former self and unlikely to ever be.

I like it here and always have, even when the Wam was my main site I still spent a lot of time here.

yep, whilst I may moan here - the simplicity of it works...if it's not broke, then don't fix it... you just have to look elsewhere to see that..

I always find it interesting to look at other aproaches, layouts, ideas etc, both from a what is good and bad perspective. I must admit I find the spliting of the classifieds into component genres really irritating. The days of being able to just pop over and swiftly browse what had been listed over the past week or so just got a lot harder as you have to navigate rooms rather than just looking through ten, twenty pages or so. The beauty of classifieds is not really knowing what one wants, just seeing if anything catches your eye, e.g. when browsing eBay I just look at the main audio kit category, I don't just go looking at speakers or whatever. I just like taking a random path.

It's the advertisers that annoy me. Too many titles just put the brand and model in. If you fancy a new pre-amp, you miss obscure stuff that you might consider but have never heard of.

advertisement

Back