advertisement

Yamaha NS1000M

HI James,

31 Kilos (I don’t do pounds & inches) is spot on the money for the M’s… With well damped enclosures, lots of internal bracing and big heavy magnets, the yammies won’t be light.

From the photo you posted, the stands look like they might be original but probably re-painted at some stage. Your samples look to be in a pretty good state from the photo.

Heres what the original stands will look like...

NS-1000MStands.jpg

Open frame stands are perhaps the way to go at least from an aesthetic perspective and to be honest, don’t be tempted to get stands that are too tall. Yamaha designed the stands to be that high for a reason.

If the yammies do sound harsh or strident, then there is something wrong, mine sound dynamic, punchy and very well balanced, It sounds like yours on song as well, in a typical room leave the L-pads at zero and enjoy. I have used mine on the end of a 72/250 combo and they don’t shout or scratch your ears, they just just tell you what’s happening with the rest of your gear. The Yammies don’t go all that low in the bass (about 40Hz or so) but the NS1000’s do respond very well to a bit of wall loading which gives them a big fulsome bottom end without being bloated or boomy, mine are against the wall yet can still throw a very deep sound stage.

Enjoy
LPSPiner

I think sq is working in imperial pounds made up of 20 oz. ;-)

The 'm' variant might be a little lighter, since it doesn't have the additional veneer. Even at 68lbs, it's a beast to move around.

James, look at post #22 - the bottom set are, I believe, the official ones.

edit: LPSpinner posted the same photo. See the ebay link I posted for open metal frame stands.

From the photo you posted, the stands look like they might be original but probably re-painted at some stage. Your samples look to be in a pretty good state from the photo.

Heres what the original stands will look like...

NS-1000MStands.jpg
Thanks. I believe the stands I have are clones. No badging or veneer, but they have spikes on the bottom.

I've never seen the original stands like that - interesting. I'm in the process of getting some custom ones made up which look more like this
yamaha-ns1000-stands.jpg

but taller

I've never seen the original stands like that - interesting. I'm in the process of getting some custom ones made up which look more like this
yamaha-ns1000-stands.jpg

but taller

Item Audio Nero?

I have those under my NS1000XW's have you seen a pic?

ah, I assumed those were the original NS2000 ones, which I believe Item Audio copied.

Mine will be slightly higher - I haven't decided the finish yet, but I'm contemplating chrome plating them

I am very pleasantly surprised how good the NS1000Ms are. Now that they are located properly on their spiked stands and positioned optimally in the room, I was half expecting them to sound a bit bass light and more forward. Instead, they sound very tonally balanced from bottom to top (within my hearing range anyway) and remarkably transparent. I really like them. These will be keepers.

I'm now contemplating a cosmetic refurbishment and maybe installing proper binding posts at the back. Somehow, I suspect that will be a distant project. The 12" woofery is rather addictive.

Hi James,

Would you mind telling me the dimensions of your stands? Are they tilted? How's the tweeter vs. ear height? I am playing with some home bodged ones right now and want to finalize the design.

TIA,

Dan

Hi Dan

The stands I have are dimensioned exactly to the footprint of the NS1000Ms. They elevate them exactly 9" off the floor with the spikes installed and piercing the carpet to to concrete below. There is no tilt. When I'm seated, I can just see the top surface of the loudspeakers, so I guess the tweeters are at ear level. I've toed them in slightly; maybe 5 or 6 degrees. I hope that helps.

Cheers,
James

Hi Guys,

Nice to hear your still happy with the Yammies,

“The 12" woofery is rather addictive.” The NS1000’s 300mm (12”) bass driver may not go down much below 40 Hz or so but it can move air effortlessly, unrestrained dynamics with a generous sense of scale and proportion are the main characteristics you get with big drivers.

I’m curious to hear what your version of “Optimally positioned” is, how far into the room and what sort of room you are using. Mine are in a 3.5 x 5.5-meter room firing straight across (no toe-in) rather than down along the room with their backs against the wall but well away from corners and side walls. I’m of the opinion that early side wall reflections will cause more problems than any influence from the rear wall.

As for stand height, 230mm (9”) seems to about right, mine are 250mm (10”) and this works well for me.

Enjoy

LPSpinner.

I’m curious to hear what your version of “Optimally positioned” is, how far into the room and what sort of room you are using. Mine are in a 3.5 x 5.5-meter room firing straight across (no toe-in) rather than down along the room with their backs against the wall but well away from corners and side walls. I’m of the opinion that early side wall reflections will cause more problems than any influence from the rear wall.
My room is 5.8m x 4.05m x 2.7m with timber-framed walls (stuffed with acoustic batts) and a carpeted concrete floor. In this room, the optimal position for almost any loudspeaker pair (and I have a few) fires down the shorter length, is roughly 2m from the side walls and 1m from the front wall (using the centre of the baffle as measuring point). I'm seated about 0.5m from the back wall and about 2.5m from each baffle.

You may find them a bit more balanced if you align your ears to the midrange level, but we're all different

responses%20mid%20tweeter%20Yamaha%20NS1000.jpg

Thanks, James & LPS. I spent a good number of hours with the Yamahas yesterday, and I am pleased with the homemade 4" with 3 degree tilt stands so far. So much so, that I'll skip trying to replicate the official one. The benefit mainly being they are less of an imposing presence in the living room.

Pondering the purchase of a UMIK-1 to satisfy my curiosity regarding just how these are working in my space.

These speakers have thrown a spanner in the works, re. where I thought I was going to take the home system. I still plan to build a pair of Heresy clones using drivers from a pair of Tangent 400s. But the move to tube amplification is questionable now. Seems hefty solid state amps are the way to go for the Yamahas. (However, I'd really like to hear what a pair of Macintosh M30s or an MC225 connected to the amp might sound like - just on looks alone they are tempting.)

Seems hefty solid state amps are the way to go for the Yamahas.

Not necessarily. The crossover may look complex as it is jammed full of caps etc, but it is actually pretty benign and they are fairly efficient. People happily drive them with Quad IIs (15 Watts) etc.

Dan, the mighty Yams would look a bit dumpy sat 4" off the ground in my view, but if they do the audio biz for you, who the hell am I to condemn them. It just goes to show how versatile and fabulous they are, compared to stupidly fussy loudspeakers. I guess your decision also rests on how big your room is and how much of a presence or imposition you wish them to have.

I drive mine with a 30W amp. They sound plenty loud, clean and in control. Given their efficiency rating of 90dB/w/m, I'm not surprised. The same amp struggles to make my 83dB/2.83V/m E-IX sound its best. I have a 180W Dynavector HX-1.2mk2 on stand-by that I could easily try and see if the Yams relish more power, but I'm conscious they are rated for input of 50W continuous and 100W max.

Here they are on my mock up stands, inspired by the Klipsch Heresy risers. They have furniture levelers in the front that allow for leveling and fine tilt. They are 4.25" at the front and 3.75" at the rear. Final ones would be made from a dark wood, I think. In hindsight, the front should follow the angle of the face of the speaker, while the back can remain vertical.

Untitled

Right now they are being fed by a Wyred4Sound, ASX2 ICE powered, 100W/ch (170W into 4ohms) integrated. I might dig out my NAP140 to see how that does. Good to hear my aspirations to a get a classic mac are not dashed.

If I may, I would say the stands are a bit low even given that they are tilted back a bit.

(I like your floor by the way :))

I like those little stands! NS1000s do sound nice with a little lean on them. Personally I'd do your stands in a pale wood finish to match your other furniture. In fact I'd go a step further and have both the front and back the same angle as the cabinet and then have a solid back to the stands, the same height as the speaker cabinets, so your speakers sit 'in' them rather like a laid back chair. I think that would look v cool ad set them off in your surroundings brilliantly.

advertisement

Back