advertisement

What's this Naim box with 7 cables coming out the back?

prowla

pfm Member
cm9idUv.jpg

whYadql.jpg

2VdwpKo.jpg

OwGifgj.jpg

Naim used to run their main rig from something similar, but tidier, in the DBL days in a 250 case. They were not commercially available, probably not strictly legal, but preferred by Naim to commercially available distribution blocks.

Yup. I made it.
The case is from a naxo I think.
I have an olive front to stick on to make it match.

I made something similar, but a bit more compact:

4A45BEED-3BBA-4765-8985-FE51C4AB4A9F_zpswvf7eb1c.jpg

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to put it in a Naim case - normally I can't resist the temptation to add another box to my system :). Nice job by the way :).

What cable did you use?

I made something similar, but a bit more compact:

4A45BEED-3BBA-4765-8985-FE51C4AB4A9F_zpswvf7eb1c.jpg

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to put it in a Naim case - normally I can't resist the temptation to add another box to my system :). Nice job by the way :).

What cable did you use?

Thanks!

The cable came from a computer server installation; I tried several and this one sounded best.

The inside is a heavy-gauge screw terminal block, insulated within a B&Q plastic junction box.

I had toyed with the idea of running a green LED off it, just for effect...

I've often wondered why Naim had never done a 'proper' multi socket using one of their boxes.. I don't think they'd have issues with IEC compliances, given they already build electronics.

I think the issue was one of market and safety compliance. As you say, they wouldn't/couldn't sell such an item without full safety compliance which doesn't really exist in the U.K. Without compromising the concept - hence they have never overtly recommended any of the various options available.

Thanks!

The cable came from a computer server installation; I tried several and this one sounded best.

The inside is a heavy-gauge screw terminal block, insulated within a B&Q plastic junction box.

I had toyed with the idea of running a green LED off it, just for effect...

Cool :) - the reason I ask is because I was interested in whether it was a shielded cable and, if so, whether you terminated the shielding?

I built a similar hydra box for my system years ago using a 1/2 width Deltec dac case, simply so it matches my pre PSU. It's a very convenient way to wire such things.

Cool :) - the reason I ask is because I was interested in whether it was a shielded cable and, if so, whether you terminated the shielding?

No - I experimented with shielded cable but it didn't sound as good.

Actually, I was quite surprised that different cable did sound differed!

Can you please post some photos of the internals and confirm the cable type / availability?
Hi - the internals are unremarkable - just one of those strips like a lego block with screws in it, and enclosed in a plastic junction box from a DIY store to fully insulate it. That's really the gubbins of it and it's just in the Naim case for styling.

I don't think the cable is generally available - I got it from a Hewlett-Packard UNIX server installation in the mid-2000s. It is probably 16A rated, but is also quite flexible. I did try a number of alternatives before I selected that one.

The IEC plugs are Wattgates, from Russ Andrews (http://www.russandrews.com/wattgate-320i-hc-16a-iec-pack-18519990000/); they can handle quite thick cables.

advertisement

Back