advertisement

Results of Using 2 Hicap DR or Dual Teddycap On NAC282

Yes, it is true that results with 1 vs 2 Naim Hicap (or Dual Teddycap) are mixed.

I do hope the Hicap DR will be appreciably different from the Dual Teddycap, as small as the differences can be. Good thing is I have one on order, and I still have the Dual Teddycap. I will compare both when the Hicap DR arrives. The better sounding power supply will get to stay with the 282/250 DR and the inferior one will stay with the 202/200. It would be interesting.

The Supercap DR ought to be appreciably if not significantly better than the Hicap DR at more than three times the price of the Hicap DR.

Any update on this? How was the Hicap DR in comparison to the DTC?

Any update on this? How was the Hicap DR in comparison to the DTC?

Detailed impressions are in the thread below, starting from page 3.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=188313

In summary, the differences between the Dual Teddycap and Hicap DR are closer than I have expected. The Hicap DR has a slight mid bass lift whereby you can feel the mid-bass more prominently than the Dual Teddycap. This gives a slightly groovy or toe -tapping feel with certain music. However, I was made to believe that the mid bass that sticks out more with the hicap dr is colouration, an *incorrect* presentation deliberately created to give the "Naim sound". The Dual Teddycap was said to give a more correct (neutral) presentation with the NAC282, producing a cleaner bass (without the mid-bass lift).

Subtle differences in the midrange and highs between the units not worth bothering about. The main difference is in the bass/mid-bass to my ears, in my system. I didn't bother to continue with the exhaustive swapping of the power supplies as the differences although appreciable are not night and day. I could live with both with the 282. It is a matter of taste and preference but I slightly prefer the hicap dr over the Dual Teddycap with 282/250dr in both sound and looks. Notwithstanding the fact that I have already bought the hicap dr.

The advantage of the Dual Teddycap is it eliminates an additional component in the Napsc.

Interesting read. I have a 282, with a TP Teddycap and am considering another TP Teddycap. I also have a 250DR, Topping D90 as a Roon endpoint. I also have a #cymbiosis serviced Pink Triangle

advertisement

Back