advertisement

AVI DM10 - Active System

Just hook them up to a smart tv and phone or iPad, that's all you need.
JC
With wires??

As mentioned, AVI are legacy speakers, the point I was trying to make to the sales manager (semi retired) directly. You need wireless, airplay, bluetooth but not other devices and cables you have to hang on to them to make them work.

Next you'll be telling me they still use a master/slave cable. Drop this, drop the shill marketing, advertise and distribute more widely is the way you should be going. Oh, and employing trained professionals, not exploiting your clients by getting them to do the selling for you.

With wires??

You can, if you wish, and if that's how your system works. You can plug a record player phono stage straight into the analogue RCA phono inputs if you wish. They have a built in remote control pre-amp for level control, etc.

Alternatively, the way most use them is with an Airport Express, Chromecast, Sonos, or whatever wireless system you prefer.

Additionally you can use the s/pdif toslink digital inputs, for whatever digi system or smart tv you prefer.

Even a desktop, or laptop PC, if you're into legacy computer systems.

They're very adaptable and flexible in terms of your home entertainment equipment.

But surely, you know all this ?

JC

So they use a cable to connect the two speakers, and you have to use cables for all other connections.

Reminder: this is the 21st Century.

Not necessarily, for example you can plug a Chromecast audio straight in to the rear socket provided. The CA is a little disc about an inch and a half across.

But come on, you know all this, - you're just trolling for mischief :rolleyes:

JC

Avole, these aren't like the little wireless bluetooth battery powered speakers, that you see on eBay for £30, like you're used to.

JC

I heard them at a hifi show once and its was very unpleasant but I think it was because it was like a 1920s recording of bad jazz recorded to MP3 from a microphone straight off a 78 playing record deck.

I like the concept of these being called the AVI Trump or similar. 'Folks, I love these speakers'

What use of your AVI equipment do you make for professional purposes?

Thanks for the question,

Mixing down orchestral, Jazz and big band music from 4 to up to 12 tracks to a stereo master mainly, some choral and very occasionally modern "pop" music of various genres.
Once I have made the master recording I play it back through a "legacy" (hehe) set of Gale GS401 speakers to check the quality in a passive system.

I find that using the DM10s gives me confidence that I have set a solo mic against the rest of the orchestra correctly and also if I need to add a touch of reverb to the solo mic, the qualities of the speaker make it a straightforward matter to judge the amount correctly first time. I used to revisit these matters during the course of the process repeatedly and was never sure it was the best it could be.

Of course, there is no specification for this on any speaker, I would not know what to call it but it must be something to do with stereo image and depth, phase integruity and other aspects of design.

I have a set of Gale 401 speakers which I will restore when I have time and I am going to ditch the complex and replace the lossy crossover with a fully active version, a three way active crossover with eight amps driving the units. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is when I stick them alongside the passive ones already in place!

Early 1920's stuff was acoustically recorded (no microphones) and sounds very odd to us, but was thought very realistic in it's day.

Later 1920's was recorded using the 'Electrical' process (microphones and electronic cutting lathes) and sounds much better.

Even Elvis and The Beatles were released on 78's

JC

Because they contain four powerful amplifiers, you do need a separate mains lead for each loudspeaker.

I presume avole was referring to the cable connecting the "master" to the "slave" unit?

Add that to the power leads to each speak and the source cables to "master" unit and it can become quite a mess if you ask me...

Now take something like the Dynaudio Xeo 2 speakers. Yes, you still need a mains lead to each speaker, but that's about it - everything else is done wirelessly (or wired if you prefer).

There is obviously no "mess" with the single wire running to a normal speaker either, in fact it's a good deal tidier than this half-way house/legacy active nonsense as you can keep everything wherever you want in the room rather than being forced to use one speaker as an interface point/preamp.

You miss the point, if "mess" is such a sales pitch point then it has back-fired spectacularly now the hi-tech market has moved so much further on with kit like the Phantoms etc. These don't need anything aside from a mains lead plugged into the rear of the speaker, in fact you can control a whole house-full of the things from a single 'Dialog' box hidden in a cupboard somewhere. .

PS Welcome to the world of 'legacy actives': yesterday's technology/tomorrow's landfill today!

advertisement

Back