advertisement

Favourite toy as a child?

I had various toys in the 70s and 80s...

6zUhEXvpEvel-Knievel-Stunt-Bike.jpg

nintendo_shot_racer_40.jpg

then I got a racing bike (cheap red one called seville - but unable to locate that online :( )

and -
625102-big-trak-robotic-rover-l.jpg

were some of my faves... :)

Three things stand out for me.

First love was Lego. It is the toy that goes back to my earliest memory. I still play with the stuff today, but mainly Technic kits.

Second love was Scalextric slot and Matchbox Superfast cars. I learnt drift control before I even knew about cars.

Third love was Airfix/Revell/Tamiya plastic model kits when I got into my early teens. 1/35th scale military dioramas were my preoccupation as I could never apply weathering properly. I don't think I ever mastered it.

I shudder at bikes, got a biggish 3 wheeler which I loved, however my parents insisted on attaching that stupid stick to the back of it and pushed me around on it........felt daft and rebelled.

Took it out first time after my protests were heard, without stick and brackets and tried to emulate what the older kids did on their 2 wheelers...........ie no hands.

So I builds up a head of speed downhill, I was going like a snot driven steam train then let go of the bars. Front wheel instantly pointed at me and I got flung in to the next parish, bike was totalled and I wasn't far behind.

Next bike was many, many moons later :D

my parents also got my a TCR car racing game and an old triang train set and set it up on some chipboard as one setup... :)

my mate had a grifter years before I had a bike and he gave me a 'backer' and we doen down some steep road and turned off into his street - except he mounted the kerb and the handlbars missed the wall by inches...we were going some speed too..!

Heh right on about those corner kickers....What about the sprung loaded throw in figures as well - So powerful was the 'spring' that the oversized ball would go flying off the pitch and across the room!

:D:D:D:D Nightmare as well, they could fling the ball across the room:D

Admit it, did you ever iron your goalie? I did with a damp hankie across it, straightened him out and added a couple of mm to his reach, a good shout.

Problem was he snapped saving a full blown penalty in a semi final match, taken via a powerful foul flick which the ref never spotted. Had to play the last 15 minutes with just a sodding stick in goal, got battered after that :D

As a 70s child, it was Lego for me.

I remember this set: http://brickset.com/sets/122-1/Loco-and-Tender

With the blue rails, with white sleepers. I had a huge amount, mainly hand-me-down lego from family friend's children. Lego Techniks sets appeared, so it was all cars, tractors, that sort of thing.

Next love was computing - I was the right age for the uk home computer fad, and got my first computer in '80.

Next love after that, was music, mainly listening to stuff, but attempting to play the guitar, and a bit of electronics on the side to build the effects I wanted but couldn't afford.

When computing and audio converged, digital audio, DSP programming etc, I had and still have lots of fun - a childhood toy, turning into a hobby, turning into a job, the best way to do earn a living...

I'm in the 'a bike is not a toy' category, so I didn't count that.

Difficult that one. I hate the perception of bikes as toys, but the truth is they're a lot of fun, as well as being useful transport. Like sports cars but without the big bills.

:D:D:D:D Nightmare as well, they could fling the ball across the room:D

Admit it, did you ever iron your goalie? I did with a damp hankie across it, straightened him out and added a couple of mm to his reach, a good shout.

Problem was he snapped saving a full blown penalty in a semi final match, taken via a powerful foul flick which the ref never spotted. Had to play the last 15 minutes with just a sodding stick in goal, got battered after that :D

Never had the foresight to iron out the goalkeeper but if you remember, the old style thin metal rod's were better than the newer green plastic ones because your keeper could come out further to narrow angles better.

I'm chuckling here with you mentioning just the rod without the figure....The number of times the playing figures got trod on and snapped until they were glued so that there were no legs (just a torso on a base) is nobodies business....Oh and don't get me started about illegal flicking...

Winchester 73 rifle. The spent shells flew out the top. Many happy hours spent fighting the accursed Hun and the peril from the Far East. Simpler times in the 1950's.

Winchester 73 rifle. The spent shells flew out the top. Many happy hours spent fighting the accursed Hun and the peril from the Far East. Simpler times in the 1950's.

Now that's one I forgot.............couldn't believe it when I opened up this one on the 25th, a Daisy BB. Great call.

Lego for me. I actually had a Lego train set which was doubly awesome, I spent countless hours playing with that.

I loved meccano too.

Who had "Owzat" at school, those long 6 sided bars you'd roll on the desk whilst the boring maths lesson was on ;)?

Lego for me, too. Still have it all in a box somewhere.

Ahem, spied this in daughter's school news book when she was small ;)

lego.jpg

Who had "Owzat" at school, those long 6 sided bars you'd roll on the desk whilst the boring maths lesson was on ;)?

I had one of those, it was a little different though, it had shatterproof printed on it and you held it on the edge of a desk and flicked it.

My favourite toy as a kid was not really a toy, my parents hand me down record player was my pride & joy, my mother worked for BSR so we had this grattis, one of those you could stack a pile of records on & let it run, 2 speakers at the front & away you go, hours of fun. got me into music from the age of 5, never looked back.
I'm convinced i had more fun listening to this old thing than anything since, ahh nostalgia.

advertisement

Back