advertisement

Anyone tried external remote volume control

Analogue volume controls do seem to be one of the components that can have an affect on SQ, possibly more, in my personal experience, than other "passive" components. So adding another volume control into the chain is not going to make things better, though if you bypass the original volume control, you may gain something back there. If you insert this unit between the pre and power amp, you will be on the output side of the buffer stage of the preamp, and you could then get subtle changes in high frequency level due to impedance and cable capacitance, depending on cable length. I'd suggest very short cables between the unit and power amp, and then long enough cables from preamp to remote unit.
Keene stuff is well engineered and they are genuinely helpful people to deal with.

Analogue volume controls do seem to be one of the components that can have an affect on SQ, possibly more, in my personal experience, than other "passive" components. So adding another volume control into the chain is not going to make things better, though if you bypass the original volume control, you may gain something back there. If you insert this unit between the pre and power amp, you will be on the output side of the buffer stage of the preamp, and you could then get subtle changes in high frequency level due to impedance and cable capacitance, depending on cable length. I'd suggest very short cables between the unit and power amp, and then long enough cables from preamp to remote unit.
Keene stuff is well engineered and they are genuinely helpful people to deal with.

Thanks Jem. I could probably get away with short (0.5M) cables but have been told that this being a fully active unit will likely have a noticeable sonic impact. Apparently, a passive volume unit with remote (active only for the remote function) should not have an impact if I use short cables.
Any thoughts/experience on that?

Hopefully you won't take this the wrong way - but why not look to switch to a different pre?

I've certainly tried several remote enabled pres and even modded my favourite Croft pre amp with a remote volume.
Its just that I have just acquired a pre amp that I always wanted to try but is difficult to modify directly - so exploring external remote options

Just a bit of experimentation really

MVC-017S1.JPG

That's one way of solving the problem! Very creative!
I have to ask - what is that external knob and is it a bit of rope linking the volume knobs?

Thanks Jem. I could probably get away with short (0.5M) cables but have been told that this being a fully active unit will likely have a noticeable sonic impact. Apparently, a passive volume unit with remote (active only for the remote function) should not have an impact if I use short cables.
Any thoughts/experience on that?

I think passive is likely to be the best if you can keep the leads nice and short. Plenty of options on eBay, such as this one:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=331671221332
I imagine the pot itself isn't great, but you could use the circuit to drive an ALPS motorised pot.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
On a similar note .. anyone know of any other ideally cheap as chips pre-amps with remote control and either digital or analogue in and analogue out. It's for my tv - I've some small Audioengine active speakers.

On a similar note .. anyone know of any other ideally cheap as chips pre-amps with remote control and either digital or analogue in and analogue out. It's for my tv - I've some small Audioengine active speakers.

Not cheap but does have a chip! ;)

http://hifi-products.com/Firestone-Audio-Co---Ltd--Mass-Remote-Pre-AMP-amplifier-DCD6ADCB9B3B1253-PicFront.html

I use one of these into Active Mackies with a FiiO Taishan D03K taking the TV spdif and a pi running LMs on the second input.

atb

Ronnie

I bought this from HiFicollective http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/glasshouse-remote-control-motorised-alps-p-6344.html which I use with an Alps 20K motorised pot on the CD input of a Quad 34. I thought it rather over priced but it does work very well. It also features a mute facility. I built it into a small die cast box along with some switching for different inputs.

That's what I've used in the past when I got my Croft pre modded. I could not get the mute function to work though. Does it work for you and if so, on what remote handset - the one that Hificollective sells?

That's what I've used in the past when I got my Croft pre modded. I could not get the mute function to work though. Does it work for you and if so, on what remote handset - the one that Hificollective sells?

Mute is a separate function and two options are given, either in series or parallel (to s/c), the signal path. Full details are in the HiFiCollective instructions. http://www.hificollective.co.uk/sites/default/files/gh_remote_instuctions_0.pdf

I use it with a Cambridge Audio handset which seems to have standard RC5 commands.

I am looking for solutions for getting my old pre-amp Exposure XI to be remote controlled for volume.
What did you end up using and was it difficult to set up?

I am looking for solutions for getting my old pre-amp Exposure XI to be remote controlled for volume. Any simple solution's?

I am looking for solutions for getting my old pre-amp Exposure XI to be remote controlled for volume. Any simple solution's?

I ended up getting an Alps volume control + remote kit installed within the amp - done by a proper engineer. It uses the power from within the amp.
This one
http://www.hificollective.co.uk/potentiometers/glasshouse-remote-control-kit-motorised-alps.html
With the Alps volume control of your choice

Got it done for both my Croft 25R and Conrad Johnson PV12 and works a treat with both

advertisement

Back