advertisement

Fly spray.

The high voltage tennis racquets are a lot of fun and the high voltage grid in front of a pretty violet light source device is a great background way to bring finality 24/7. They're reasonably priced too- £8 on eBay !

n3px5e.jpg

Do the electronic ones attract all the flies or are they hit and miss? The 'tennis' racket isn't an option because my eyesight and reactions are not great.

We have a few conventional fly swats which work well.
I fitted fly screen chains to both rear doors (as seen on restaurant kitchen doors) and have, god forbid, nets on the upstairs window. We rarely get flying insects in the house now,

Bloss

Our electric one has a uv lamp, so that any insects that enter the kitchen are attracted to the device and its high voltage grid...... then you hear the zap..... and smell the smell of BBQ'ed insect. Works very well.

We do keep our eye open for bees and try and make sure they keep well away.

Our electric one has a uv lamp, so that any insects that enter the kitchen are attracted to the device and its high voltage grid...... then you hear the zap..... and smell the smell of BBQ'ed insect. Works very well.

We do keep our eye open for bees and try and make sure they keep well away.

Not sure I fancy that, kitchen could resemble a kebab institution.:)
And how do you avoid bees being zapped, is someone on guard

Bloss

Do the electronic ones attract all the flies or are they hit and miss? The 'tennis' racket isn't an option because my eyesight and reactions are not great.

The tennis racket does not need to be a 120mph action to achieve success. Wait until the fly has landed, press the power button and place the racket over the fly, the fly is disturbed, takes off and is zapped.

Not sure I fancy that, kitchen could resemble a kebab institution.:)
And how do you avoid bees being zapped, is someone on guard

Bloss

There is a collector tray at the bottom which we empty once a week in the summer, and rarely in the winter. Bees, well we normally hear them buzzing well before they get to the zapper, a few wafts with a newspaper and they can easily be ushered out.

Living as we do close to a farm, flies are a real problem. A few years ago we bought a couple of those electronic "fly killers", the kind with violet lights and an electrified grid. They were pretty expensive, and totally useless. I tried the tennis racket things but never really got on with them. They don't work if you just swat a fly with them, as mentioned earlier you've got to hold them over the fly & wait for it to commit seppuku. We bought a couple of excellent, large fly swats in Florida, the kind with tweezers to pick the corpses out of the mesh. Very good, satisfying sport.

Living as we do close to a farm, flies are a real problem. A few years ago we bought a couple of those electronic "fly killers", the kind with violet lights and an electrified grid. They were pretty expensive, and totally useless. I tried the tennis racket things but never really got on with them. They don't work if you just swat a fly with them, as mentioned earlier you've got to hold them over the fly & wait for it to commit seppuku. We bought a couple of excellent, large fly swats in Florida, the kind with tweezers to pick the corpses out of the mesh. Very good, satisfying sport.

Strange, ours is zapping away as I type....... it has proved very effective

Strange, ours is zapping away as I type....... it has proved very effective
We bought ours from an internet-based company in The Cotswolds, can't remember their name. They were round, with a black plastic grid on the outside. We used them for months & they didn't catch a single fly between the two of them.

I have two dogs and like to keep the back door open most of the time, weather permitting, so the house does get a lot of pesky flies, I've ordered a hanging lantern insectocuter type thing from ebay for a tenner, if it doesn't kill the flies it might be ok for detecting dodgy banknotes.

From experience only last week it only takes seconds to hold the racket over the fly, the fly is disturbed and zap.

EFKs (Electronic Fly Killers) - as an entomological PhD student I had some experience with EFKs.

As I recall:

(1) 10kV across the grid means that flies boil and explode - a very wide debris field.

(2) UV fluorescent bulbs - short life span competing with environmental polarized sources i.e. not very effective unless the only source of illumination.

As with all pest species, exclusion is always the best approach.

When I started work we were not allowed to use fly sprays due to a researcher on the top floor looking into neuro blocking toxins. what we did have was plenty of time and a trigger spray full of 100% alcohol along with a lighter. The flies used to go down like WWII planes. It's not perfect and we did set fire to a ceiling tile of two but, youthful testosterone and fire do go together quite well.

..what we did have was plenty of time and a trigger spray full of 100% alcohol along with a lighter. The flies used to go down like WWII planes..
A delightfully funny image billo! Did anyone of them manage to maintain power and steering long enough to mount kamikaze actions?

advertisement

Back