advertisement

One for the 'Electronicicians'

As a more general riposte to those who always seem to come out of the woodwork when anyone, such as myself, mentions tackling a pretty straightforward task, that happens to involve ..Gasp.... Electricity :eek: .

Some people probably can't be trusted to change a plug properly, but few would raise an eyebrow at the mention of such activity. A well meaning friend recently gave me a two way 13 amp plug adapter which was absolutely ideal for what I wanted in a particular situation. However, I quickly replaced the flex because it was only wired with 2 core flex, like the stuff used for lighting pendants, making earthing impossible. Also the flex was not secured by cable grips at either end and there was rather too much exposed conductor everywhere.
This sort of stuff is commonplace.
But not in my house.

Now you're making me feel guilty..

You copped a bit of the boiling seething foment of uncontrolled rage caused by somebody else.... Not saying who.. but see #13. Blame him. :)

Mull

:-D

Joking aside I can change a plug, perform basic wiring and understand electrical safety so don't electrocute myself (these days).

But I wouldn't trust myself to replace components, due to a good chance of making a mess.
Co-incidentally our household Kenward Chef (+30 years old) is currently away having a new motor put in.

Co-incidentally our household Kenward Chef (+30 years old) is currently away having a new motor put in.

Old Kenwood stuff was rugged and reliable as well as being repairable when needed. We are stll using the 45 year old Kenwood Chef passed on to us by my mother when she became unable to see to use it.

Yep. Just for clarity I'm talking of a Kenwood Chefette, Model A 355 which is not as large or versatile as a Chef, but still a good piece of kit. Powerful and robust motor/gearbox which can drive either a blender 'urn', or a mixing bowl. It is very easy to disassemble if you just think a bit.
The only problem in 40 years of use has been the not entirely unreasonable failure of a capacitor which is not even necessary for the machine to function, but is just for RFI suppression.

1201109_140318044400_DSC06312.JPG

Mull

Old Kenwood stuff was rugged and reliable as well as being repairable when needed. We are stll using the 45 year old Kenwood Chef passed on to us by my mother when she became unable to see to use it.

Ours has so far been inherited twice :)

Mull, this cap should do the trick if it will fit.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/lcr-metallised-polypropylene-500v-01uf-capacitor-rg23a

However can you solder? Then if you can please bear in mind that the existing cap in old kit will possibly be 60/40 solder and not lead free stuff. I still have some old ersin multicore 60/40 kept just for these aged equipment. Just searched and its still available on t'web.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks DV but I went for this one. Cheaper and designed for RFI.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/01uf-275v-x2-rfi-metallised-polypropylene-capacitor-n69cn

Except that what they gave me last night is not that. So small I couldn't tell till I got it home, so it's going back today.

And yes. I can solder!

Mull

:-D

I was 14 when I had my first intimate experience with mains voltage.
Only did three phase once, when I was 16.

advertisement

Back