advertisement

Replacements for Linn Sara??

Jonathan

pfm Member
OK- so I deeply regret selling my last pair of Linn Saras. They were the most visceral sounding loudspeaker - a bit straining in the high end perhaps but I've never met another loudspeaker that made me soil my pants like that! What speed in the low end! I guess the reviewers call it 'slam'? Being in California -it's not possible to find them second hand. So I'm wondering what might compete without having to buy a pair of ATC SCM50s (I just don't have the budget)

I already have some Audio Physic Tempos (which are amazing in their own right- but not as 'frightening' as i'd like...) and Epos ES14s that are a bit on the dull side.

So I'm wondering if the Totem Mani-2 compares at all. I hear good things about the ATCs and Wilsons in this regard but hoping there's something else I can find that will work for me. Any suggestions? Thanks!

One of my best memories was a rig with Saras. I keep wondering about Neat Momentum SX3i but only because they're Isobaric as well. £2600 over here. They want to be really good for that much.

Good call with the Russell K Red 100. Not quite the Slam of a Sara, but similar enough with some extra good things of their own. They make Audio Physic and ES14s sound like they are covered in treacle.

I replaced a pair of Saras with Martin Logan Vantages (electrostatic hybrids). Would never go back. No comparison.
Mind you I also had to replace the amplification at the same time. (my Naim amps would never have handled dropping down to impedances of 0.5 ohms at 10K ;^)

Saras are really weird things, and I know exactly what the OP means about the bass slam, though I'd not describe it as fast, more an artefact of moving two quite heavy B200s against the vacuum of a smallish cab. Certainly have some thump to them, which on a lot of rock music sounds great, though not so good on classical or jazz IMHO. If rock and punch is the priority and California the location I'd be hunting the biggest pair of blue-face JBLs I could get in the house.

OK- so I deeply regret selling my last pair of Linn Saras. They were the most visceral sounding loudspeaker - a bit straining in the high end perhaps but I've never met another loudspeaker that made me soil my pants like that! What speed in the low end! I guess the reviewers call it 'slam'? Being in California -it's not possible to find them second hand. So I'm wondering what might compete without having to buy a pair of ATC SCM50s (I just don't have the budget)

I already have some Audio Physic Tempos (which are amazing in their own right- but not as 'frightening' as i'd like...) and Epos ES14s that are a bit on the dull side.

So I'm wondering if the Totem Mani-2 compares at all. I hear good things about the ATCs and Wilsons in this regard but hoping there's something else I can find that will work for me. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jonathan

Surely the best route is to stick with what you like best and buy yourself another set of Saras.

Mick

As the OP is in the US I would suggest that he looks for a s/h pair of Shahinian Compass or Arcs. They offer similar and much improve on the Saras.

Cheers,

DV

I went from Saras to Kabers to briks and back to Kabers. Really worth a try given they are so cheap.

As much as I like the Kaber's too they really need active running or mega amp to perform in low-end, it will never be a Sara anyway if this is the priority I'd search after these again even they are scarse

Maybe active ATC25

I like the Red 50 over Red 100 but indeed an exiting speaker, shame they both need to be free standing, a distance away from wall

Really - if the OP loves the bass from his Saras (as he says he does) he isn't going to be happy with Kans - or Kabers, or Elac 312s, or Martin Logan's or Russel Ks etc. Perhaps SBL's but probably not.

I write the above because Jonathan's origonal post sounds just like my friend Andrew's sentiments regarding his Saras. His solution was to eventually replace them with another pair which I then overhauled for him. As Tony writes above, I wouldn't describe the bass as fast exactly - but it does have a kind of infectious authority. In truth I would say that if you really like what the Sara does in the bass and the way it replays bass instruments then you won't be able to find a replacement that does the same thing as well; and the reason I say that is because what they do is quite contrived. Effectively they centre the listeners attention at the mid and upper bass - subjectively they have a very steep roll off in the lower bass. The end result is that drum kit and bass guitar are slightly spot lit. Even if the sound is contrived the end result can be very exciting and somewhat addictive.

Jonathan, are you restricted to ATC 50 sized speakers, or could you go larger?

It's interesting that you're living in the States and have been looking at British speakers only. Whilst I live in Britain and have moved from British speakers to American ones.

I have Saras. I think they're OK for my kitchen system.

I replaced Saras with Linn Isobariks. Prefered the Briks for their more extended bass and treble.

Since the Briks I've moved on to big classic Bozak, EV and Sansui speakers. All of which I prefer to the Linn speakers in my large rooms.

If you can go large, my suggestion would be to try the first pair of big classic EV, Bozak, Altec, JBL, Klipsch, Urei speakers you see going at a bargain price.

Second hand Neat Momentum 3i's. Isobaric speakers that sound much larger than they are with a visceral punch when driven with powerful amps. Mines with Densen B330+ , DV HX 1.2 and Chord 1200c.

Immense sound in my medium UK living room.

I listened to a lot of speakers to replace my Linn Saras and found many that sounded better in some respects but was only fully satisfied when I heard and bought secondhand the Dynaudio Confidence 5. But they are a harder to drive than the Saras.

Mark

advertisement

Back