advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's a depressing start to the day.
More depressing was speaking to several who voted out. When I asked them why they'd voted that way, scarcely any of the reasons were anything to do with the EU.
One, when I told him this, just said "You're just bitter because you lost"
My reply "No, we all have", which seemed to puzzle him.

Exactly sums up what I feel.

What do you mean "realistically"?

It HAS to be done and dusted within 2 years of being triggered.

2 years to negotiate terms of exit, with an option to extend that period.

There is no 'HAS to be' in it.

So if we look at the 2-4 years of uncertainty, the government of that period can quite easily find reasons to overturn the vote and remain once they realise GB cannot standalone.

I'm actually surprised that a vote with such massive ramifications only required a simple majority.

On the positive side it's a lovely sunny morning here in Cambridge. :(

HOW AGES VOTED (YouGov poll)
18-24: 75% Remain
25-49: 56% Remain
50-64: 44% Remain
65+: 39% Remain ‪#‎EUref‬

The older generation have voted for a future that the younger generation do not want.

Do we know the turnouts by age group? I wonder if lack of apathy among the young might have swung it the other way.

I'm actually surprised that a vote with such massive ramifications only required a simple majority.

My thoughts were similar Sean

Ironically if we really were dictated to by EU rules, any democratic decision would surely have required a qualified majority.

I seriously question the real-power of a vote.

My take is Cameron thought they had the public backing, and called a referendum a year after he and the Tory party got re-elected. Good PR and favorable CGI.

This coincides with the negotiations over the EU reform deal in February, hoping to make Ze Germans and French 'sweat a little' if they feigned the idea of leaving the EU, happy to oblige they could fast track the deal should Britain remain.

Straight in with the ad hom, no surprise really. In what way am I "delusional". Please try writing something sensible rather than gobbing off, I'm just not in the mood!

To be fair Tony, in the flesh, you could not meet a nicer guy. Mild mannered, polite, erudite etc.. Clearly intelligent, but intelligencia might be over egging it?
I'm a working class oik, but I never felt you talked down to me. Always a pleasure to meet...

This internet persona is something I don't recognise from the man I've met. Really quite aggressive & judgemental. I would say equally obtuse to the type of view you would attack.

I didn't mean to attack you though, so I'll remove the post.

Serious question :

Where does Tony Benn, Jeremy Corbyn when he's not (uncomfortably/unconvincingly) following orders, Frank Field et al fit into your profile of Leave voters?

Do we know the turnouts by age group? I wonder if lack of apathy among the young might have swung it the other way.

I am still surprised that the older voters seem to have forgotten life in the 70s before entry - the economic turbulence in particular. I remember it all too well.

I am still surprised that the older voters seem to have forgotten life in the 70s before entry - the economic turbulence in particular. I remember it all too well.

Where were you in the period after entry, I do not remember any sustained economic upturn in the mid 70's until now, only boom and bust.

Bloss

There is a very real possibility of short term economic catastrophe. Here is my scenario:

Lots of London / SE bankers loose their jobs or have to follow their banks to the continent, and all try to sell their heavily mortgaged homes at the same time. Selling pressure drives the price of housing down, pushing swathes of the SE into negative equity, leading to UK mortgage bank failures and a run on the banks and the pound.

JP Morgan have already sent a memo to staff warning of restructuring - this is not fantasy.

My kids couldn't give a shit about buying a house maybe one day. They feel European and grossly let down. I'm not bothered by the economic mess nearly so much as the queasy feeling of being part of Little England.

Just noticed an interesting stat, over 1 million Scots + 870.000 Welsh voted to leave, little England eh?
If they voted the other way.

Cameron should have never called a referendum.

He took a gamble, and is exposed as the delusional and out-of-touch Bullingdon chancer that he is.

Hi, folks!

I decided to drop in and have a look-see what people were saying, and it's about as expected.

The reasons Leave lost were (from my perspective):
1. Cameron's inability to negotiate with the EU and the EU's unwillingness to negotiate with the UK.
2. The utterly rubbish Remain campaign, which, if you stripped away the name-calling, scaremongering, posturing and FUD, had no substance whatsoever.
3. The inability of the government to address the immigration issue; this country needs immigration (always has and always will), but the scale of recent years is unsustainable.
4. The aloofness of the EU, which is bound up in itself as a political entity and appears to have no regard for the actual people it is supposed to represent.

The Brits have always been a nation which is capable of running their own course and respond badly to being lectured and told what to do; and this result shows that the government(s) were not properly representing them.

We shall see what repercussions the result had for the remainder of the EU, as one of its cash-cows has declined to continue contributing funds. Perhaps the rumblings we've heard about other countries (Denmark, Netherlands) make gain momentum.

As far as the UK goes, we will now see what happens trade-wise; if behooves the EU to want to trade with us, as we import more from them than we export to. However, I would like to see a resurgence of UK farming, where things will actually be produced rather than having farmers being paid to lay land to fallow. The likes of VW, BMW & Merc are going to be campaigning with their governments to make sure that they don't lose competitive advantage in one of their larger markets.

As for the rest of the world, we no longer have to impose the EU tariffs on their products.

It looks like a short-term bumpy ride on the stock-markets, but that will hopefully sort itself out.

All-in-all, the UK has had its say and our course is set.

We live in interesting times...

Savers, who have been fleeced by the banks and government for years.

Jack, the only relevant number is the difference between interest rates and inflation, and if one goes up to track the other, savers are no better off.

The level of ignorance is just staggering really!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back